What city will have the next team?

Packer-Backer

Conservative Christian
What city do you think will get the next team, any league. Or what nickname do you think will finally be used like sharks or tigers (Bengals counts I guess).

NFL City: Maybe Richmond because Virginia has no football teams! Not LA because a fews friends of mine from LA say it just isn't a football city.
NHL City: Milwaukee because Wisconsin is so frickin cold, why not a hockey team besides the minor league Green Bay Gamblers?
MLB City: Oakland? Jacksonville? Baseball including the minor leagues seems to like California and Florida for expansion teams.
NBA City: Charlotte, no more Canada and I am sick of Memphis, it spells out failure for basketball teams.

Any thoughts?

They moved to New Orleans and the Grizzlies moved to Memphis. Every minor league team and half of the pro teams want to move to Memphis. And Canada has always spelled out failure for most teams besides hockey. I wonder what these struggling teams are planning to relocate to next?

MLB City: Oakland? Jacksonville? Baseball including the minor leagues seems to like California and Florida for expansion teams.

Like the Oakland Athletics?

I will speak only about the NFL, here. I doubt there will be any expansion teams until, at earliest, 2010, if not 2015.

The next city with a team will likely be one from this list:

Los Angeles, CA
San Antonio, TX
San Jose, CA
Columbus, OH
Milwaukee, WS
El Paso, TX
Austin, TX

Sorry, I am not a native and don't know a lot about MLB teams..yet. But if anybody dares put a team in Wisconsin in football it would be all out war! I may not be a native but I know not to threaten the PACK! They just added the Texans so SA, EP, or Austin is doubtful. Ohio would have three teams but maybe. An LA team will just move away after the team fails, a friend of mine from LA told me but he doesn't represent all of Los Angeles.

Well, Texas is where the population is. They need people to go to these games. Virginia does not have a team, but they are near Baltimore (Ravens), Charlotte (Carolina Panthers). Besides, they don't place teams according to numbers of teams in the various states.

Texas has two teams and their population is extremely high. I think they are prime for another team around San Antonio or El Paso.

NFL Teams by State:

New York: 3
- Buffalo Bills
- New York Giants (they play in N.J)
- New York Jets (they play in N.J.)

Pennsylvania: 2
- Philadelphia Eagles
- Pittsburg Steelers

Maryland: 2
- Baltimore Ravens
- Washington Redskins (not really Maryland, but you know)

Florida: 3
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Miami Dolphins

Massechussetts: 1
- New England Patriots

Ohio: 2
- Cincinnatti Bengals
- Cleveland Browns

Texas: 2
- Dallas Cowboys
- Houston Texans

California: 3
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- San Francisco 49ers

Indiana: 1
- Indionapolis Colts

Tennessee: 1
- Tennesse Titans

Colorado: 1
- Denver Broncos

Missouri: 2
- St. Louis Rams
- Kansas City Chiefs

Illinois: 1
- Chicago Bears

Wisconsin: 1
- Green Bay Packers

Minnesota: 1
- Minnesota Vikings

Georgia: 1
- Atlanta Falcons

North Carolina: 1
- Carolina Panthers

Lousiana: 1
- New Orleans Saints

Arizona: 1
- Arizona Cardinals

Michigan: 1
- Detroit Lions

Washington: 1
- Seattle Seahawks

21 of 50 states. If they were concerned about every state having a team, they would'nt have two or three teams in some states.

There had been talk of an expansion team in Hawaii, but they ended up just giving them the Pro-Bowl.

Alaska is not getting a team. They can go Ice Fishing. It is going to go by population and that will hand a team to Texas, for sure.

Idaho won't get a team, they have a high population of white supremicist groups. They probably won't want to watch the NFL since there are so many black guys.

Wyoming has the lowest population of any state in the country. No team.

New Mexico may get a team, but why not just give the team to El Paso. They are on the border between Texas and New Mexico.

Utah could see a team, maybe. Salt Lake City would be the place.

Nevada probably will not see a team. Las Vegas just is not the place and there is no other city for one.

Oregon? Portland, there is that possibility.

Montana? No way. Big sky state, small population state. No good population center to have a team.

Forget North and South Dakota.

Nebraska? Omaha, Lincoln? Less than slight.

Kansas? Any potential home is to close to St. Louis and Kansas City.

Arkansas? Little Rock Cigars? Doubt it.

Oklahoma? Oklahoma City is the best possibility yet.

Mississippi? No way. No decent population center, besides they're all College Football nuts with Ole Miss.

Alabama? Where? Montgomery? No way.

South Carolina? Columbia? Charleston? Savannah? Not in Savannah. You have to know the town and the people to know why. I don't see Columbia. Charleston...maybe.

Virginia? Richmond.....maybe. As good a choice as Oklahoma City.

West Virginia? No way. Where?

Kentucky? No way. Where?

Vermont? No way. Where?

New Hampshire? No way. Where?

Maine? No way. Where?

Conneticut? Hartford? I could see it, too many teams in that area already.

Rhode Island? Providence is a good city for it, the best yet. Too many teams up there though.

The two cities that come to mind as the best places...

El Paso and another try for Los Angeles...

Toronto? Will the NFL be the last league to cross the border? Texas is where the pop is so your right, but will LA will be next? It just seems weird for one of the three largest cities in the country not to have a football team, doesn't it?

I know the NFL likes to wait like ten years before the next expansion, but the NHL seems to add an expansion team every three years. Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, and Minnesota. Where next for the NHL? A return to Winnipeg? Portland? San Antonio? Milwaukee? Anybody know if a city mentioned wanting an NHL team or if the NHL mentioned a possible expansion?

Originally posted by Packer-Backer

NBA City: Charlotte, no more Canada and I am sick of Memphis, it spells out failure for basketball teams.

The Charlotte Bobcats enter the NBA next season.

Really? I had no idea, probably because I don't pay much attention to the NBA until a team actually relocates. Oh yeah and just to clarify, I meant Canada only spells out failure for basketball teams, in case any wonder thought I meant Canada and Memphis. :)

The NHL is already over expanded so I dont expect any new teams there for a while. As for Toronto getting an NFL team that would be great and there is a huge fan base here.

Originally posted by Enemy Ace
Oklahoma? Oklahoma City is the best possibility yet.

To me that doesn't seem likely at all because of colleges. I don't think many people would go to two games a week.

The only professional team that might come to Oklahoma is an MLS team. Edmond (a suburb of Oklahoma City & where I live :) ) is in the running for an MLS team because they are building a new stadium, but no one wants to be the owner :sad:.

I forget about soccer. Would there be a fanbase for soccer in Oklahoma City, da_greatest? Constantine, would the CFL fans take to the NFL quickly, I'm kind of suprised that Canadians like football enough to have an entire league to themselves, but will the NFL be the last of the "big" leagues to cross the border?

As a southern Californian, I'd really like to see a NFL team in Los Angeles. I feel betrayed by the owners of teams, they just don't understand that they have to tough it out until they have a good season, then they'll have a gigantic fanbase in LA.

Theres huge support for the NFL in Toronto at least. The local stations carry Bills games and get huge ratings so the fan base is there.

Originally posted by Packer-Backer
I forget about soccer. Would there be a fanbase for soccer in Oklahoma City, da_greatest?

I think so. Soccer isn't as popular as basketball and football here, but there are a lot of youth players. There was a preseason MLS game here; the weather was bad, but the attendence exceeded expectations. The reason there might not be a team here is because no one wants to be an owner.

That is the main problem with pro teams in Oklahoma. There was an arena league football team recently that only lasted a few years due to ownership. Despite that we're getting another arena league team soon.

BTW the mls is adding 2 teams. One spot has already been granted to the owner of the Chivas team in mexico.

Originally posted by da_greatest

BTW the mls is adding 2 teams. One spot has already been granted to the owner of the Chivas team in mexico.

And the other is going to Cleveland.

I hate hearing NFL expansion talk. They finally realligned the league to have an even # of teams in every division. Within months they start saying, "We need to get a team in LA" :crazyeye:

Just move the Chargers!

I heard that baseball was having talks with Monterey, Mexico about the possible relocation of the hapless Montreal Expos.:crazyeye:

Yeah, Zamphyr, it would make no sense to expand now, after they finally set ut up with even divisions. To do it right they would have to add 8 teams, 1 for every division. They would also probably have to extend the season to 19 games that way. Most of what I've heard (Toronto and LA) is about relocation. The prime candidates were supposed to be San Diego to LA and either New Orleans or Indy to Toronto. That was before the season, however, and the Colts' success might encourage a lot more support than they had been getting from the local fan base.

The next cities to get teams:

1) As mentioned before, the NBA's Carolina Bobcats will be opening their doors next season.
2) MLB will have to find a place to put Les Expos, they haven't quite rung it dry of any value yet, so it will wait at least another year. Leading candidates are Wash DC/Northern Va., Portland, OR, or possibly in Carolina. DC is the obvious choice but Peter Angelos (Orioles) is still working hard to keep them out of there (thinly veiled threat of lawsuit)
3) NFL might relocate a team to LA over the next few years. They really want a team in that market, its just a matter of which one, and when.
4) NHL isn't expanding anytime soon. They are overexpanded and will probably shut down next year in a labor crisis. I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller number of teams in the NHL by the time they come out the other side of the labor stoppage.

Who would fold? Is Nashville doing okay or are they gonna stink, if so they wll probably fold. As for the NFL, it might be the Saints because to stay in LA they will need at least an average team. Oh those Expos, I liked the Expos up until my heart stops every year that my favorite logo in the MLB will be changed. As for the Twins folding or relocating, they have too much tradition and are just too, well, old to change. Just like PETA wants the Packers to change their name to the 6-Packers and some people think the Packers will move to Milwaukee for bigger attendance. :eek: Somehow that tiny town draws in tens of thousands of fans every home game to watch their beloved Pack kick butt, no matter how freezing it is. Old teams just can't change.

Top Bottom