What civ leaders had personal or diplomatic relationships with each other in real history?

iammaxhailme

Emperor
We're getting Kublai Khan soon. He and Hojo Tokimune were enemies at war. Frederick Barbarossa and Saladin were both friends (on paper) and enemies at various points. Wilfrid Laurier and Theodore Roosevelt corresponded about their mutual desire to, uhh, limit the number of Asian immigrants to their respective nations. Going back to Civ V, Maria of Portugal is Pedro of Brazil's grandmother.

You forgot the obvious. Genghis is Kublai's grandfather. :p

Queen Victoria reigned long enough to interact with several other Civ 6 leaders.

Wilfrid Laurier was Prime Minister of Canada at the very end of Victoria’s reign. He led the Canadian contingent at her Diamond Jubilee in 1897, where he was knighted.

A fifteen year old Wilhelmina met Victoria in 1895. The elder Queen remarked: “The young Queen ... still has her hair hanging loose. She is slender and graceful, and makes an impression as a very intelligent and very cute girl. She speaks good English and knows how to behave with charming manners.”

In 1898, Victoria exchanged phonograph voice messages with Menelik II: “I, Menelik II, king of kings of Ethiopia, say to our very honoured friend Victoria, Queen of the great English people, 'May the Saviour of the World give you health!”

Last edited:
Queen Victoria reigned long enough to interact with several other Civ 6 leaders.

Wilfrid Laurier was Prime Minister of Canada at the very end of Victoria’s reign. He led the Canadian contingent at her Diamond Jubilee in 1897, where he was knighted.

A fifteen year old Wilhelmina met Victoria in 1895. The elder Queen remarked: “The young Queen ... still has her hair hanging loose. She is slender and graceful, and makes an impression as a very intelligent and very cute girl. She speaks good English and knows how to behave with charming manners.”

In 1898, Victoria exchanged phonograph voice messages with Menelik II: “I, Menelik II, king of kings of Ethiopia, say to our very honoured friend Victoria, Queen of the great English people, 'May the Saviour of the World give you health!”
You forgot Pedro II. Pedro II, despite being a devil in Civ 6(right, @Zaarin?), was able to get Great Britain to back down on the diplomatic front. Not an easy feat.

Jadwiga had the title "Heir to Hungary". However, she gave up her battle for the throne with her brother-in-law Sigismund, ending her line of succession.
Not only did this allow the succession of Mathias Corvinus soon after, but Sigismund was personally responsible for creating the house of Hunyadi by giving Corvinus' grandfather the Hunyadi castle.

Not a direct relationship but a fairly closely interwoven one, I think.

Not Civ6, but Montezuma II and Isabella were contemporaries. :shifty:

CdM and Elizabeth I were also contemporaries (and rivals); CdM was briefly the mother-in-law of Elizabeth's cousin and nemesis Mary, Queen of Scots. Philip II was Elizabeth I's brother-in-law. William the Silent (Willem van Oranje) was instrumental in the Dutch revolution against Philip II.

CdM and Elizabeth I were also contemporaries (and rivals); CdM was briefly the mother-in-law of Elizabeth's cousin and nemesis Mary, Queen of Scots. Philip II was Elizabeth I's brother-in-law. William the Silent (Willem van Oranje) was instrumental in the Dutch revolution against Philip II.

It is little tricky, but Philip II was king during the last year of Lautaro's life. So any treaty, declaration of war, etc of the Spaniards was technically on behalf of Phillip II.
So we can say they had somekind of doplomatic relations.

It is little tricky, but Philip II was king during the last year of Lautaro's life. So any treaty, declaration of war, etc of the Spaniards was technically on behalf of Phillip II.
Well they both indeed have the same sword in game. :mischief:

I didn't know that, and that's really cool.

It is! You can actually hear Menelik and his Queen Taytu’s messages (in Amharic), as the recordings survive in the British Library: https://blogs.bl.uk/sound-and-visio...tus-phonograph-message-to-queen-victoria.html

“When the very beautiful and excellent phonograph of the Queen reached me by the hands of Monsieur Harrington and when I heard the voice of Your Majesty (as if) you were beside me, I listened with great pleasure.”

I don’t believe they ever actually met.

Not only that, but when Lautaro was captured and raised as a servant of the Spanish, they gave him the "christian name" of "Felipe" (Philip). Not saying it was directly inspired by the king's name... but who knows.

And regarding Saladin... don't forget he was battling Eleanor's son for some time :)

Last edited:
Some of the relationships, associations or diplomatic interactions between various Civ leaders that I can think of:
1) Tomyris' deadly rivalry with Cyrus is already referenced to in her agenda.

2) Ashoka (India, Civ IV) was Chandragupta Maurya's grandson.

3) Gajah Mada (Indonesia, Civ V) was Mahapatih or Prime Minister to Gitarja.

4) Tamar of Georgia has been recorded to have sent diplomatic missions to Saladin on his capture of Jerusalem for successful negotiations about return of confiscated possessions of Georgian monasteries in the city and for free access for Georgians to the holy city. She is also said to have unsuccessfully bid for obtaining the relics of the True Cross which were taken by Saladin as a booty of war.

5) As has been previously discussed on the 'Possible New NFP Civs' thread, Catherine de'Medici was mother-in-law to Philip II while he was married to her daughter Elisabeth of Valois. Interestingly, it was at the celebration of this betrothal that Catherine's husband Henry II met with an accident while jousting, which led to his death and Catherine's subsequent rise to power as the influential Queen Mother during her sons' reigns.

6) Philip II had famously adverserial relationships with two of his contemporaries who have appeared in Civ - Elizabeth II of England and William the Silent of Netherlands. The disastrous defeat of Philip's Spanish Armada by Elizabethan England is quite well known.
William the Silent initially served Philip's father Charles V and was later appointed as the governor of the Dutch possessions of the Spanish Habsburgs by Philip himself. Later however, he went on to become the main leader of the Dutch Revolt (which ultimately resulted in independence of the Netherlands.) This also led to Philip announcing a hefty bounty on William's head!
Spoiler Painting depicting Philip berating William the Silent. :
Philip_II_of_Spain_berating_William_the_Silent_Prince_of_Orange_by_Cornelis_Kruseman.jpg

7) Despite sharing a surname, Indira Gandhi (former Indian prime minister and one of India's leaders in Civ3) does not have a familial relationship with India's perpetual leader in Civ, Mahatma Gandhi; she got the Gandhi surname after her marriage to a yet another unrelated Gandhi (Gandhi is indeed a very common surname in parts of India). However, both Indira and Mahatama Gandhi did have a close association through Indira's father Jawaharlal Nehru who was India's first Prime Minister post independence and a very close associate and mentee of Mahatma Gandhi during India's Freedom Movement. Indira Gandhi is known to have interacted very closely with Mahatma Gandhi in her younger days.
Spoiler Photographs of Mahatma Gandhi with Indira Gandhi. :

Mahatma-Gandhi-and-Indira-Gandhi.jpg

Mahatma-Gandhi-walking-with-Indira.jpg

Last edited:

Catherine was also Philip II's mother in law, since his third marriage was to one of her daughters, Elisabeth de Valois.

6) Philip II had famously adverserial relationships with two of his contemporaries who have appeared in Civ - Elizabeth II of England and William the Silent of Netherlands. The disastrous defeat of Philip's Spanish Armada by Elizabethan England is quite well known.
William the Silent initially served Philip's father Charles V and was later appointed as the governor of the Dutch possessions of the Spanish Habsburgs by Philip himself. Later however, he went on to become the main leader of the Dutch Revolt (which ultimately resulted in independence of the Netherlands.) This also led to Philip announcing a hefty bounty on William's head!
Spoiler Painting depicting Philip berating William the Silent. :

[/SPOILER]

That is a cool painting of Phillip and William. Too bad William doesn't have his fancy pants on.

I think that the reason Elizabeth I was replaced with Victoria was so there wouldn't be a real-life relationship.

Harald served with the Byzantines before going back to Norway and eventually attacking England. He was in service after Basil II had already kicked the bucket though.

I suppose you could have a tenuous link between John Curtin and Teddy Roosevelt. Curtin was war leader for Australia, allied with FDR in the USA who was Teddy's cousin.

Top Bottom