1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What Civ VI could learn from Civilization: Call to Power

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by manacerace, Sep 18, 2017.

1. manacerace

manacerace Chieftain

Hi all guys, I would like to take the current from the post "Mid-to-Late CivVI Game So Blend" to share my opinion with you.

First of all I agree that from mid game on it feels like there isn't much you can do, except going to war. So if you're the warmonger type of player or you just wish to win by domination, I think all in all it's not that bad. But what if you don't want to make use of military and be offensive/defensive in some other way? Well I think that CivVI has a couple of things to learn from Call to Power. Yes I know it was a flawed game, unbalanced, and with some weird design choices, but nonetheless I spent many many hours playing with it back in the days and I must say that it had some interesting units/mechanics which could improve the second half of the game: corporations of course, with their corporate branch unit, but also lawyers who could block production, infectors who could spread diseases through trade routes, televangelists who could help spread your religion even late game...these were all means to wage an unconventional war to the other countries, and it was fun to be able to destroy (or seriously cripple) a strong and menacing nation without declaring a formal war...!

I really hope they'll put something like that in the future expansions...

What do you guys think?

For reference, here is the link of the article which gave the title to this thread:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/25/civilization-call-to-power-retrospective

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I think if they would work on Spies a bit, maybe improve archeology and invent a modern replacement for the three religious units, we would have a more interesting game already. No need for lawyers, since spies can do all those things (and sound more fun).
    I agree that corporations would be nice to have again. They could also create some cross-civ ties.

I liked CTP and played it a lot on release. The combat style and rules were great! And the three layers on the map (land, underwater, space) felt refreshing. Battles in space were a joke however.

I think the limited stacks with all units fighting each other simultaneosly could be a nice idea for civ as well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Leyrann likes this.
  3. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Chieftain

I spent many many many hours with that game. Still have 2 copies of the Linux version, and yep, got it to work with modern distros.

Mid-late game really was more interesting (diplomacy was still weird of course), but with all units that could be sent, it really kept you on your toes.

Some of them were invisible and you couldn't do jack to them, unless you either declared war, OR had the appropriate counter.
    You could then just boot them out back to their own civ. I really really miss that in the last 2 games.

Environment watching, ability to assign workers to happyness, etc was great. Trading was kind of mystical in how the prices were determined.

So much more going on. I really do need to do a playthrough again start to finish. (which generally takes at least a week or two on marathon)

Limited stacks were great. Not completely OP, but you could sucker the otherside pretty well.

hmmm...

4. sten_88

sten_88 Chieftain

I miss that game, it really did have something happening all the way through whereas Civ 6 is really lacking in the mid-late game. CTP had late game expansion (into oceans and space) which I think is a big miss in Civ 6 - anything founded after T~150 has no chance of doing anything useful before the game ends. It would really help if maybe industrial or later cities started with extra population or something the help them get up to speed (or district costs not going through the roof).

For me, limited stacks is the best combat system of any 'Civ' game.

I also liked the Public Works system, saved a lot of fiddling around with workers/builders. It was a bit more interesting upgrading improvements as well instead of the instant boosts provided by tech currently. Things like listening posts and sonar buoys added a little more than is currently available in Civ 6.

5. jozef57

jozef57 Chieftain

yes i do agree with you in this , it would make the game much more interesting

6. Hans Lemurson

Hans Lemurson Chieftain

Civ6's Builder Charges are actually pretty close to Public Works in effect, since creating the Builders consumes production which is then spent to make changes to the terrain. The only difference is that Builder have to be moved into position, which gives a better sense of action but at the cost of more micromanagment and occasional crises of indecision.