1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Civilization IV is missing

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Magnon I, May 19, 2006.

1. fingerbib2000

fingerbib2000 Chieftain

things that would be cool..

1. Sieges and Blockades
    i guess sieges are possible on land by pillaging roads etc.. but what about ocean squares? if enemy ships completely surround a city the trade route and resource route should be cut off.

2. Army supply lines. if an enemy army gets encircled perhaps the units could starve/ run out of offensive materials (ammo etc..) in practice, an army would need a road or a continuous path to a city

3. Culture within Culture or Terrorism
    Maybe have separatist groups or 'terrorists' within your empire, i know cities can join other Civs but what about regions within your empire wanting independance? this could be the root of a lot of unhappiness for you cities and could eventually lead to civil war/terrorist attacks/peaceful separation.

4. ship canals as someone has mentioned, that's a great idea.

5.Natural disaters and climate change that actully change the landscape for better or worse ala Alpha centauri (not just city earthquakes ala Civ 1)

2. Naismith

Naismith Prince

I'm neutral on the whole idea, but if it were implemented, I would rather it not be tied to goody huts. The higher the level you are playing, the more the AI tends to snap them up. At least, that's my impression.

3. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

What if unclaimed "goody huts" (when the barbarian unit begins to guard them, become a barbarian city?

4. oneeye

oneeye Chieftain

Things I would like to see in civ 4:

1)Natural disasters-not often but enough to add spice, can turn them on and off in set up screen.
    2)Babylon
    3) civil wars -possibility of though not sure on mechanics- again optional
    4) Real big empires breaking up like rome, mongolian empire - optional.
    5) In late game have a stock market ticker like DOW/nasdaq that you can see going up and down, if your empire is democratic/capitalistic.
    6) Bring back the music from civ2 and the movie style wonder videos, brilliant stuff.
    7 Did I mention Babylon?
    8) UN not as powerful- you can defy them and lose diplomacy of course.
    9 Aegis Cruiser back
    10) smaller atom bomb than ICBM
    11) A more robust tribute system
    12) Battleships/destroyers can bombard again, not just cities

5. Magnon I

Magnon I Chieftain

Do they ever begin guarding it? Don´t they always guard it as a hostile village? Not sure about it actually.
    But speaking about barbarians, I would like to see more of a dimension to the barbarians. It seems as though they are just programed to "seek and destroy" most often one unit at a time becoming connon fodder for the civ´s military, a practiceing target to gain easy experience. I would like to see some Barbarians be a bit more peaceful and content living in their town/civilization. They would therefore become tiny little states which could either keep to them selves or interact with their neighbours

So what would be the diffrence between the Barbarians and other AI civs? Well mostly they would just be limited to one area or city much like some of the indigenous people in the world today, mostly around the amazon.

6. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

A decent terrain generator would be welcome. I am so sick of seeing trees on tundra, impassable mountains, desert everywhere, entire continents with no stone, horses and beevers in tundra, silk in forests adjacent to ice, and ice blocking passages often preventing circumnavigation. I guess there is no hope that this nonsense will be fixed in Warlords.

7. Magnon I

Magnon I Chieftain

I agree with you. However I think that Ice should cover some sailing routs and therefore preventing passage at least in the early game but as soon as you hit industrial age you should be able to construct icebrakers that could sail through the ice, with units or even you could "park" it on an Ice-shelf and then other ships could enter the same square and by grouping them together they could sail throug the artic.
    Otherwise I agree with you whole heartedly, the terrain generator needs an over-haul.

8. Shigga

Shigga Shiggadelic Baby! :)

Agreed 100%. But the Smartmap mod deals with this quite nicely so far :)

9. fingerbib2000

fingerbib2000 Chieftain

i agree about some of the terrain generation, but remember that horses only came to america in the 15th century! the lack of certain resources gives the game variety i reckon

10. Spraggy

Spraggy Chieftain

i would like to see upgradeable buildings. For example a theatre could be uprgaded to a cinema, a colloseum to a stadium that sort of thing similar to how units are upgraded. Although at the moment I can't think of any more building upgrades I'm sure there are some.

11. downunder_dude

downunder_dude Chieftain

I don't know about you guys but sometimes I send a unit off then I get distracted and forget where that particular unit was headed in the first place. Rather than having to write this kind of thing down, what about the option of being able to attach a comment to a unit and having that comment viewable/editable/deletable at any time?

12. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

If a unit of mine has a destination point, is what I do is use the "go to" function.Very handy for missionaryies/spies. Once made I show them the tile I want them on and they take the shortest route possible. I dont have to mess with them again until they reach the destination.

13. wiseguy101

wiseguy101 Warlord

I'd like to see some technologies and units that are from the near to far future. I know this is difficult to do, because its hard to predict what the future will bring. However, Firaxis could just make some stereotypical futuristic units; something like the X-Wing from Star Wars, or something like that. Some futuristic technologies would be nice as well. I also loved the throne room/palace of Civ 2 and Civ 3. I'd love it if Firaxis brings that back, but I heard their doing that for the Warlords Expansion, so whatever! :)

14. Alphidius

Alphidius Master of My World

I can think of only one right now...
    Give us back the Palace or Throne Room upgrades! I miss them!

15. BlackMage

BlackMage Warlord

Something I've thought about as I've learned the art of warmongering that has always bothered me is enemy roads. I know that the mechanic has been in Civ since the very beginning of time that you are unable to use enemy roads, but why? Roads are a strategic necessity, both for you and your enemy. Why else are entire military operations centered on seizing and holding them? This would not only add a new layer of strategic thinking to the more mundane gather stack, bombard, suicide cats, take, heal, rinse and repeat that tends to go on, but also keep people from just putting roads everywhere and thinking, well if the road goes this way, I can guard it better and keep it away from an invading stack.

FWIW, BM Out.

16. Magnon I

Magnon I Chieftain

I agree with Black Mage. I can´t think of any good reason why enemy roads should un-useable. The only thing that I can think of is that they are sweeping the roads for land-mines or something but there, ofcourse, aren´t any in the game! Roads and supply lines are some of the more important aspects of warfare. So here´s hoping that Warlords will bring a new dawn in Civ warfare ;)

17. megalomaniac

megalomaniac Push the red button!!

They should bring back some of the things in CIVIII.

1. A scenario editor that could be run on its own. That way, I could edit the map, civs, rules, and such without having to start a game first.
    2. Volcanos: a natural disaster that was fairly easy to recover from.
    3. US Marines
    4. Armies that I could put my land units into, and they would attack, take damage, and heal as one single unit.
    5. Being able to chose which tile to bombard with artillery/battleships and having increased range on modern bombardment units.
    6. The ability of a gunpowder or higher foot unit to bombard

A few other things I would like to see.

1. The ability to set patrol routes for units.
    2. Modern air units that can target a specific building, unit, or improvement on a given square. Carpet bombing by stealth bombers just doesn't cut it.
    3. Can I please choose which unit in an enemy SOD to attack? I'm sick of my axeman with a shock II promotion wind up fighting the only longbowman in the stack b/c it has the best defensive chance.
    4. Multiple UU's for each civ.

18. Shigga

Shigga Shiggadelic Baby! :)

I totally second that! :king:

19. Desert-Fox

Desert-Fox King

I don't really get why people miss throne room? That doesn't give any advantage. If that would give something then yes:)

20. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I miss it but not because of any advantage to it. It is just something fun to have in. It is kind of like the 'cookie' you get for keeping your people happy. It is always fun for me to design a new throne room. Like in ...1 I believe, I always had the bear skin over my throne until way late in the game when I had no choice but to upgrade it. Civ 2 I always had the plant behind my throne. Civ 3 was, eh. I usually mixed up the Pagoda style with the Gothic black.