1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What Civilization Shall We Play First in Rise and Fall?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Feb 5, 2018.

?

Which Civilization should we play first?

Poll closed Feb 12, 2018.
  1. Cree with Poundmaker

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. India with Chandragupta

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Georgia with Tamar

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Korea with Queen Seondeok

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Mapuche with Lautaro

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Mongolia with Genghis Khan

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. Netherlands with Queen Wilhelmina

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  8. Scotland with Robert the Bruce

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  9. Zulu with Shaka

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

What Civilization should we play first with the Rise and Fall expansion?

You may view the Civilizations and their unique characteristics in this thread.

This is a public poll that will run for 7-days. You may vote up to three times and you may change your votes.

Please vote and tell us why you voted for certain civs.

Future game will all be in Rise and Fall, even if we choose vanilla civs. And some of those have changed in their unique abilities. So much to learn and enjoy!

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

India, Georgia and Netherlands
    Because these are the civs I least like and I want to be forced to use them at least once also it’s nice to be familiar with a fun civ before playing it.

3. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Chieftain

Cree/Mapuche because i always liked native civilizations or Scotland because Highlanders, even thought the UI is meh.
    EDIT : Just noticed the UU is actually a Ranger replacement and not some cool medieval sword-wielding highlander so no Scotland actually :(

Not really related but do you still plan to occasionally create games with DLC civs? I think there have been only one of those so far.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  4. leif erikson

I'm sure Knowtalent will do one or two, but currently I think it excludes too many players.

5. Eyswein

Eyswein Chieftain

Can we also make it something that we can use their special abilities? For example, if Scotland stays in front, would be neat to see science (even though that is my least favorite victory condition) to see how to best use the happy/ecstatic science bonuses.

6. Zeppa

Zeppa Chieftain

I'm playing Scotland now. So far (turn 70) nothing Scottish has come into play as far as I can tell. The new features are very interesting. I'm playing a science game, hired a mayor that has some interesting science pluses and somehow he upgraded with even more science pluses.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. rfa

rfa Chieftain

I play every game, badly - so I don't post a score. I'm looking forward to playing Ghengis & Shaka - both (?) from CivRev GotW

8. Everad

Everad Chieftain

The most opposite victory condition to the Civs benefits/ bonuses.... Why, to force the player to abandon the "easy/ natural way to dominate the game. Which since launch has been always domination to achieve the other victory conditions.

Not an easy task to create a game... suggestions anyone on this to help 6oTM staff to keep doing their awesome work!

9. leif erikson

There are often new things to learn when you go against the grain. Am always in awe of some of the things our players come up with.

10. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Chieftain

I fear having a VC opposite to the civ strength will just encourage players to go for the tried and tested "Disguised Domination" victory while having a VC that tailored to the civ strength will at least encourage some players to try and use those strength even if at the end Disguised Domination is more efficient than any unique ability.
    So personally i wish for the opposite : games that allow us to use our civs strengths rather than force us to play "The Neutered Neutrals".
    100% agreed on that part and even thought i've said it numerous times already, i'll say it again : Thanks to the GotM team for providing us all those maps and especially Leif who's been around for as long as i remember.:hatsoff:

As for suggestions, well as i said having maps that allow us to use our civs uniques. This doesn't necessarily mean the most straight-forward victory condition but if we play as the Cree, having enough bonus resources around to make the UI relevant and some pastures/camps to boost trade routes is what i hope to see.
    Other than that, having maps that allow peaceful growth / discourage early conquest would make for an interesting change.

11. cheffster

cheffster Deity

I really like Nubia

12. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Chieftain

Nubia is a DLC civ, not one of the new civs from Rise and Fall expansion so it's unlikely you'll see it any time soon. So far there have been only one GotM featuring a DLC civilization.

13. cas

cas Chieftain

Cree and Netherlands look fun.

Not sure why Scotland is leading this poll by a large margin. The civ ability is ok, the leader ability is situational, and the UU/UI are almost worthless as far as I can tell.

If we play as Scotland, maybe use the Europe true start map. With Victoria for emporer, without for deity, not sure on immortal. The start island is good, but you have to go sailing techs to get off the island with an army...unless you can successfully leverage a city state army - hard on emp+. May slow things down a bit for the average player like me. Super duper players are gonna crush it no matter what.

cas

14. Zeppa

Zeppa Chieftain

I'd like to change my selection for first civ from Scotland to Cree. Scotland seemed cool but it is a late game civ, not a lot of fun.

15. MIS

MIS Chieftain

I'm surprised there weren't polls for VC and Level. So my 2c:

VC: Assuming Robert the Bruce (who won the poll): Science. I prefer Dom, but RtB has science bonuses, and I think people will want to play the whole tree. Could go culture.

Level: relatively low. I'd pick Warlord. GOTM is often a lower level, this is the first R&F, and RtB seems relatively weak (to me). If it was Korea, I might go higher.

Leif's GOTMs are always great, and I'm looking forward to it.

16. Eyswein

Eyswein Chieftain

Just to add on my 1c. Concur Science Victory would be a good starting one to mostly finishes the science/culture trees and see more Eras. Agree with lower end in general for at least the first two games, but since the mid-month games are normally at the very high end, I'd still say Immortal is appropriate. Though I'm guessing that he already has something set up to release when the time comes.

I haven't even finished a game of R&F yet, but saw the old standards don't work at all. I reached Industrial Age Great Scientists while still in the Medieval Era (on King level) and their cost jumped to 1045 GP points (about 2.55 times normal), so the formulas appear to have changed greatly if you get too far ahead. Seems better to buy a space port or two (not sure how much gold that is), then try to chop for super fast or use the new factory overlap bonus (governor policy) for slower completion of the projects.

Seems like leaving an area that will spawn barbarians is the best way to get early era points and religiously converting cities of an enemy later on. Love the fact you can get era points for settling on a desert/tundra or near a wonder and first high yield districts. Wondering if peaceful alliances after killing 2-3 close neighbors will compete with warmongering the whole game for fast finish games. Would be neat if peace was more viable and even better in some circumstances. I love to warmonger - really want the game to discourage it sometimes.

Wish they would add a feature that when I mouse over a policy card it would give feedback on current effect (i.e. how much gold I save/generate; how much culture gained based upon current empire, etc.).