1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Civilization should we be?

Discussion in 'Team FREE' started by Empiremaker, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

What are your thoughts on our civ.

I'll ask Rik to add a poll when we've narrowed it down.

My top five:

Sumeria (Super Traits, good UU but EW may cause early GA)
    Iroquois (Great Traits and UU)
    Greece (Good Traits and anti-rush UU)
    Perisa (Good traits but great UU)
    Maya (Great traits but average UU)

Disclaimer: I don't play Multiplayer, so these are from a single player point of view.

2. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I was thinking Byazantines (1st) or Netherlands (2nd), and to a lesser extent (5th preference) Carthage. Byzantines are probably the best Civ on a map with quite a bit of water, and Netherlands are great on any map.

4th would be Russia, as I am thinking an expansionist civ could get quite a monopoly on the goody huts.

3rd preference is China. Riders, Riders, Riders.

3. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

It depends on the map type to some extent. If its Arch I'd definatly go with Byz/Netherlands. I'm not so much in favor of Russia, but China could be fun.

4. vikingruler

vikingruler King

I like the idea of China. Riders are a great UU. Also, we should consider a civ with an expansionist trait would be very useful, great goodie huts and starting with a scout will give us a nice advantage. I also like Russia and Carthage.

5. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

I like Industrious civs for the faster worker turns but have no real preferences beyond that. And even that is only a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

In solo games I select Random for my civ.

6. kingstuart

kingstuart still in a big country

open to any, as mentioned this my first one so will absorb the game

ks

7. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

Now that Panagea has been decided Byz and Carthage don't look so good. I'm open to suggestions.

8. aluka

aluka Warlord

I am in a similar situation. I do not have a wide experience of different civilizations and their traits so I will leave the decision up to others.

9. vikingruler

vikingruler King

Since its Pangea and like Empiremaker said, we should forget about byz and carthage, so how about Persia or China. Persia is industrial and the Immortal is a great UU, could give us a huge advantage early in the game. China as I said before has a great UU in the Rider.

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

If you look at the previous MTDG, Persia's UU isn;t actually that great.

Also, the map hasn't actually been decided yet and seafaring civs not only start with alphabet for early curraghs, but also normally have a coastal capital which will greatly aid us in figuring out the map type (if we do end up choosing to go with the unknown)

11. vikingruler

vikingruler King

We need to get discussion going again. I feel strongly about picking China. They have a great trait combo in military and industrious. cheap barracks and quick workers will give us a nice advantage during the game. Also, the rider is an undeniably good UU. It comes a critical time when a GA would give us a huge advantage and the Rider itself is great. A faster knight can really give us an edge to take over another civ. we get to our foe before they get to us.

12. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

My compliant with China is that MIL is a poor trait. We save 20 Shields on rax, and more frequent promos isn't really that great.

13. Kuningas

Kuningas Deity

I prefer China.
    Militaristic:
    * -50% cost barracks
    * -50% cost harbor
    * MGL appearing increased
    * a frequent unit promotions
    Industrious:
    * extra shield in city center, 2 in metropolis
    * +50% more faster worker actions

Other candinates not in particular order
    Sumerians, Arabians, Mayas, Indians.

14. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

With China as our Civ, isn't that sort of forcing us to be a military power? I'm not opposed to China. I am opposed to thinking that we need China in order to be a military power because we plan to conquer/dominate the world.

Or have I missed something? :confused:

15. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

The main reason I ever suggested China was Riders. They are a very good UU. Of course, Arabia has a much less intimidating UU, which is (IMO) as good if not better than the Rider. And India's War Elephants are like Middle Ages Tanks. The extra HP is like turning it from a 4-3-2 unit to a 5-4-2 unit. And it requires no resources, which are being talked about as being scarce.

16. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

I see where you're coming from azzaman, but I feel that for all those civs, the traits are poor, and depending on the tech speed, the compensation for poor traits isn't enough. That why I'm in favor of Sumeria. Great traits and the EW is solid, and makes rush defense easy for us.

17. vikingruler

vikingruler King

Just because China has the militaristic trait doesn't mean we have to be a military power. Cheap military improvements like barracks just means will have more of them and get them quickly. We can use barracks to train veteran spears and other defensive units as opposed to an offensive military. Also, industrious doesn't make us a military power. Industrious give us quicker workers, allowing our cities to develop more, maximizing them.

@Empiremaker, Sumeria is good but the EW might give us an early GA, that's the last thing we want. China on the other hand can give us an MA Golden Age, a perfect time for one.

18. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

The main problem I have with Sumeria is that we won't be in control of our golden age trigger point. Any tream that rushes us would do so with or without Enkidus, since they are just cheap spears. I'd prefer a better UU (War Elephant) with the chance of being ignored because we aren't militaristic or have an Immortal or a Mounted Warrior.

19. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

I see about being ignored, but I think a team would hesitate to rush us, since our EWs would go strip their land. I feel that the traits compensate for an early GA.

I feel that the argument about being ignored is plausible, but still I feel that Sumeria a good choice. If we play as India or China, other teams may attack us early so that we don't get the chance to use our UU.

20. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

My favorite civ is Greece, I am not sure how well they do in multiplayer (well MIA won with them last game...)...
    Mainly because of their scientific trait (the best IMO) and their UU...
    The hoplite is great against early rushes and is useful until the industrial age (2 hoplites have 6 defense and cost as much as a musketman with 4 defense)

But we may not want to use civs from last game to increase the roleplay value...
    IMO, militaristic is a bad trait, but I don't play multiplayer so maybe its value is increased

Civs I think would be good:
    Greece
    Sumeria (better traits then greece, but worse uu)
    Babylong (A culture win would be fun to pull off)
    Ottomans (nice traits)
    Maya (nice traits)

One negative about seafaring is that since rik places our starts we may not start on water... Its only guaranteed on random maps, however if we knew this map had significant water (last MTDG did IMO), it would be useful
    So in that case the Byzantines come to mind