1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What contributs to Demographics->Soldiers?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Creepy Old Man, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Creepy Old Man

Creepy Old Man Warlord

So I'm staring at the demographics window of my current game. Let's start with Russia, who's listed as last place, with 30,067 soldiers. I can see their whole empire. They've got one city with a cannon in it, and about six workers. I've been at war with them for a long time, so I doubt they've got significant forces hiding elsewhere.

I'm in fourth place, with 131,195 soldiers. Mostly riflemen, with 44 combat units and another 29 non-combat. Yet I'm listed as having roughly four times what the Russians have.

Since I assume that much of the AI's decision making is based off this statistic, I'd like to know how to increase my soldier count, and therefore maybe get some respect from the AIs. Because apparently 44 riflemen are only four times stronger than one cannon.

Any ideas?

2. Revoran

Revoran Prince

by 44 riflemen you mean counting all the models in each unit right?

44 actual units of riflemen would be absurb in Civ V...

3. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

It's an abstracted value base don the number of military units you have, and the 'quality' of those military units (A spearman is more points than a warrior. A Tank is more points than an archer.)

A cannon is probably similar in point value to rifleman, being from the same era. I'm not sure what your 44 riflemen thing means, but I'm guessing you mean you have 4 rifleman units with 11 guys or something. In which case, yes, you'd have 4x as many 'points' probably.

All of those are abstracted values, based off your wealth production, and food growth, and hammer production, etc.

4. Creepy Old Man

Creepy Old Man Warlord

It's a huge map, so I have 44 combat units. 23 riflemen, 11 crossbows, 3 artillery, 2 caravels, 5 knights. And all that is rated on the demographics as four times as many soldiers as the Russians, who have one cannon.

5. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

I dunno, then. I figured "# of soldiers" was just the way they dressed up your "Military Score" on the demographics screen.

Maybe it was a really, really big cannon? I mean, have you seen how Russians get with their cannons? :p

Attached Files:

6. Baleur

Baleur Prince

How big is the russian population of their cities, compared to yours? Not in the demographics, but in the actual pop number on the map?
    Perhaps this soldier number is some left-over conscription-idea that never was finalized?

Like, a huge population = alot of soldiers, that could be converted to real combat units if drafted, even if these virtual soldiers dont actually "exist" as units yet.
    I smell an expansion using these numbers :p

Or perhaps its simply tied to the policies, if it picked alot of Honor policies, maybe it just means alot of soldiers in the "civilian life"?
    Sort of a, sparta if you will.

7. pickle

pickle Lord of the Preserves

i remember in the old civ games the military one was years of military service which was a military unit per population measure, could have something to do with that, but if they are stating number of soldiers now I dunno

8. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

:lol: I LOL'd.

9. DaveGold

DaveGold Emperor

If all the nations were getting a base amount for military technology, walls, or barracks, whatever, then this may change the equation. There could be 25k each from these other sources and then you'd have 106k from military on top compared to his extra 5k. Workers might contribute too, you never know.

10. dmieluk

dmieluk Chieftain

Save the game, then disband 1 unit at a time, and see how it changes your number. That will give you an idea as to how it counts it.