What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Maximum7

Chieftain
Im trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

How about a hyper-drive inhibitor? A ray that can be cast on a ship that prevents that ship from being able to jump into hyperspace.

Could be working on more mundane stuff, like how to get a greater yield out of a vaporator on Tatooine.

How about to duplicate a force-effect (Vader's force-choking, e.g.) through technology (so as to positively debunk the Force)?

Fine control tractor/pressor beams.
Particle spin suppressor.
Spidey-webs.
Cure for the common cold.
Ore-processing bacteria.
Entangled particle communication device.
Ground penetrating imaging.
Photon phase manipulator (makes opaque things transparent and vice versa).

It would help if we could have some sort of idea of the field of study or the nature of the laboratory.

J

intravenous nano surgeons
mind-control nanite
genetically-altered dog geniuses,
mermaid lungs and tails
sentient planet
sentient thunderclouds
germ warfare

Captive wave molecular imbalance propulsion systems.
Gene inversion polyperturbation therapy to allow couples of differing species to procreate.
Self heating pizza dough.

Pizza surprisingly never appeared in Star Wars but sushi and coffee have.

How about more types of habitats, in the wake of say, the vong devastating Coursant? Bernal Spheres, O'neil cylinders, etal. Coursant already had habitation spheres, maybe he's looking into 'archaeotech' or archaic designs to make something more natural, comfortable, and cheaper?

This isn't a likely project for the new republic but I'll shoot it anyway:

In the clone wars they got the clones to age twice as fast, so they could be bred for war more quickly. What if they figured out a way to freeze aging once they reached the point of maturity? And this is how the new Republic could have an army again to fight the first order.

The scientist works for a galactic marketing consulting firm and is looking into manipulating the brains of mammalian species in order to help this guy sell intergalactic proton-powered electrical-tentacled advertising droids

I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.

If you know the dynamics of an astroid field you should be able to predict the movements in any field you come across. That would be a matter of logging and processing the data

I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.
Man, this whole site didn't even make the cut.

The scientist is the last being in the Universe who believes that String Theory just needs a little tweak to make it a TOE.
Episode title: "Insane in the M-brane."

My idea was perfect. I got it from Mythic Scribes. Intermetallic energy alloy plating. Then I found something like that existed on Wookieepedia. I’m so pissed!!!! Why can’t I find an idea that works and hasn’t been done already?

Okay someone on Reddit informed me that a supermassive black hole could never do what I want it to do. I’ve decided to scrap the whole story.

It's Star Wars. Why would anyone care about realistic black hole behavior? Write your story however you like.

I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?

The evidence for black holes existing is much better then quark stars. Not sure what is accomplished with going with something even more exotic than a BH.

Top Bottom