1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What could my next step be?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JamesCivFan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

Hello fellow forumers,

In my current game (Zulus, Immortal, Pangaea, everything else Standard), I seem to have hit a snag. To explain. I am going for a Domination victory, but I don't know whom to attack next.

First I need to provide a summary of the game: I control 4 original capitals, out of 8: Berlin, Babylon, Lisbon, and of course mine. Cathy, as you will see, took Poland's capital, so that only leaves 3 capitals for me to take and win the game. I am 3rd in tech, just 2 techs behind the Russians and 1 tech behind the Ottomans, trying to research Radio in order to go to the nuclear weapons path. I am 4th in military power, although I haven't upgraded my units for the next fight, yet. Here are some screenshots:

http://postimg.org/image/6eicx2vup/ - Overview of my army (not upgraded yet)

http://postimg.org/image/tg7hojf8l/ - Overview of Russia

http://postimg.org/image/6esjw70uf/ - Overview of the Ottoman Empire

http://postimg.org/image/3ljq1n38h/ - Overview of Spain

Russia is first in military, having about double the power of mine, but my guess is that if I upgrade my units, and create about 5-6 GW Bombers, I will be able to clear a lot of her units out quickly. All my crossbows are range promoted, some of them also have logistics and march, which means that I can have 2-range machine guns. Any suggestions about my next move would be welcome.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Remember that in BNW the victory condition for Domination was changed to require that you controll ALL of the original capitals, not just be the last civ in possession of its original capital. So, at some point you are going to have to take Warsaw to win the game.

Definitely deal with Russia first. If you leave her alone while you focus on lesser prey, she will only get stronger (militarily and in science). And she's your immediate Eastern neighbor, so if you focus West she may decide to take a chunk out of your backside. You're going to have to slog through a lot of forest, but GW bombers and artillery and ranged units should handle that just fine. You aren't starting with much excess happiness, so plan on razing most of her cities to stay happy.

While slogging your way through the Great Eastern forest, send a small, elite army (couple of artillery, x-bow/gatlings, and Impis) to snipe the Turkish capital -- no geographic impediments that I can see. And you can pump out a couple of battleships to help that army later take down Madrid. You'll probably be done in the West before you're done with Cathy.

3. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Yeah, definitely focus on Russia first. She seems way more dangerous, and you need to take both Moscow and Warsaw, which will take some time.

4. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

If it were me: The Ottomans, then Spain, then Russia when you've researched Rocketry as you have 17 aluminum.

5. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

Kathy likes to take over her end of the world then switch to science focus. I have seen her empire cross 2000k bpt before. She goes from Modern to Info era and launches her spaceship before you can blink. She is always the one to beat, do not give her a chance to turtle up or she will win

6. kamikazees

kamikazees Warlord

No question: Russia.

7. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

You guys are right. I think I won't even wait for nukes to come around. I'll upgrade and start the war right away.