What determines which city gets the resource for trade diversity when overlapping?

Takagi Hiro

Prince
Title just about sums it up. I thought I had all the mechanics straightened out over this, but apparently I'm wrong. Example below.

C o o X o o C

C= City
o= Filler Space
X= Resource

Now, I settle my cities close. I always have. It saves on road maintenance, keeps reinforcements simple, and allows for shared tiles to adapt to each city's needs. That said, let's say the left "C" is my capital and the right "C" is my second city. The "X" is the resource that I thought my capital would have for trade diversity. Further, the capital was the city that claimed this tile through cultural expansion, despite the second city having already been founded. However, it isn't so. Checking my trade routes carefully, it turns out that the resource belongs to the second city.

In case you were unaware, this logic also applies to the whole stone/marble bit and which one gets the production boost. Assuming your capital was the city you were building wonders in, this could be a game changer.

This is the logic I thought to be true:
- If a city claims a tile before any other city that can potentially work said tile has been settled, it belongs to the city that claimed it, distance between cities irrelevant.
- If a city claims a tile after any other city that can potentially work said tile has been settled, it belongs to the city the city closer to it.
- If a city claims a tile after any other city that can potentially work said tile has been settled and this tile is in both directions right between said cities, it belongs to the first founded city.

Following this logic, my capital should have claimed the resource in the above example, but it didn't. So, I must ask the CiV experts...

How is this truly determined? :confused:

Not certain, as that's a feature I've never watched closely, but my thought process had always been that it belonged to the city currently listing the tile as "workable." (Workable tiles being those the city can assign workers to) When cities have overlapping tiles, the AI starts by semi-randomly distributing which tiles count for which city in the overlap zone. That tile will only "count" as belonging to one city or the other based on that list. You can manually change that list them by assigning a worker from the city you want to own the tile, then re-assigning the worker again. Afterward, it still counts as part of the other city's tiles (so that new citizens could be assigned from the second city to work it, but not the first).

It MIGHT prove the case that the resource diversity is tied to the same logic. I'd expected it to be, but it's going to be twelve hours before I get to load a game to check.

Not certain, as that's a feature I've never watched closely, but my thought process had always been that it belonged to the city currently listing the tile as "workable." (Workable tiles being those the city can assign workers to) When cities have overlapping tiles, the AI starts by semi-randomly distributing which tiles count for which city in the overlap zone. That tile will only "count" as belonging to one city or the other based on that list. You can manually change that list them by assigning a worker from the city you want to own the tile, then re-assigning the worker again. Afterward, it still counts as part of the other city's tiles (so that new citizens could be assigned from the second city to work it, but not the first).

It MIGHT prove the case that the resource diversity is tied to the same logic. I'd expected it to be, but it's going to be twelve hours before I get to load a game to check.
I am certain that this is not the case, unfortunately. Once the city has claimed the resource, it belongs to that city forever, or at least until one nearby is razed, at least. I've long known that this is false, though it would be nice if it were so simple. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom