TahamiTsunami

Prince
As the title says, I'm wondering what the Iroquois / Haudenosaunee called their homeland or territory?

For examples; I know that the Powhatan called their homeland Tsenacommacah, the Navajo called their homeland Dinétah, the Tlingit called their homeland Lingít Aaní, etc. However, despite all of my attempts at looking it up online, I have yet to discover what the Iroquois called their homeland.

Did they have a separate name for their homeland or was Haudenosaunee used for both the name of the league and it's land? If they did have a separate name for their homeland equivalent to Tsenacommacah or Dinétah, did each member of the league have a different name for it or did they all call it by the same name?

Regardless, thanks in advance!

I don't think it's something that I've ever come across. Not to say that a name or names didn't exist, but the closest I've seen is the metaphorical term "the longhouse" to describe the confederacy as a whole, and by extension the territory it occupied. The individual nations would presumably have had some name for their traditional territory, but my impression of the Eastern Woodlands nations generally is that this would probably have been a straightforwardly geographical term without the sense of an ethnic homeland as we'd understand it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom