What did you do for the world today?

I'm unemployed, though for kicks I brought peace to the Middle East, reorganised the UN, solved the energy crisis, and made Greenday a decent band.

Yes, I access CFC from work. No, I don't feel guilty about it because my employer pays me for a ~40hr workweek and my actual work hours are a lot closer to 50 hours, maybe 60 (and a few weeks ago, 90).

What have I done for the world lately? My employer is a videoconferencing company, so we're not doing much for the planet except perhaps giving people an option that doesn't require travel/fossil fuel usage. As for me, I simply work on my own karma on a day-to-day basis. If someone comes to me upset (95% of the time about a technical issue, occasionally it'll be something else) I try to use technical expertise, calmness, rationality, and humor in varying parts to send them away happier than they came in. I'm like the anti-BOFH (for you Register readers) and I may not be saving lives or knocking out poverty in the third world, but... well, my coworkers are in a slightly better mood than if I weren't here. :cool:

nonconformist said:
I'm unemployed, though for kicks I brought peace to the Middle East, reorganised the UN, solved the energy crisis, and made Greenday a decent band.

Three out of four ain't bad.

Rambuchan said:
~ How many of you post on CFC whilst at work? I know of quite a few already.
~ Do you feel bad about it? (I don't cos I mainly do it in a break or in between accomplished tasks but there are times when I've let it get the better of me)
~ What do you do to 'fight the urge'? Read on...
I work mostly at home nowadays, where my internet connection is quicker as well.
It doesn't interfere with anything else, so my conscience is clean. :D

I actively chose to find the reward in doing the work and, more importantly, I reminded myself that I have the potential to bring some benefit to the world through my job. Sounds a bit slushy? Well let me specify and then maybe the reason for the thread will become apparent. I hope you'll follow the format below to develop the thread.
No it doesn't sound slushy, whatever that means. Just keep in mind that you are privileged in the sense to be in the position where you can feel like that about your work, for wage-slaves performing dull menial tasks I think that is quite difficult.
But I must say that I admire your spirit. :thumbsup:

So what did you do for the world today?
Not so much I am afraid, it is a very quiet season for political and educational activities , but I gave my wife a nice present and I guess that counts!?

@ Igloo, Luceafarul & El J - thanks for your posts guys. Good stuff. I hope I didn't lay out what seemed to be a 'how much good does your job do?' thing. I simply mentioned that example because that's what I thought of to get me down to work and away from CFC.

And Luc is so completely right that I am very privileged in that regard. A big reason why so many people feel dissatisfied in their jobs (and I remember doing many bum jobs, feeling the same) is because they don't have the luxury of time or perspective to feel that it is giving some benefit to another. Often the reality of the job doesn't allow for it even. That can get depressing because I believe 99.99% of humans do have a need to feel a sense of their impact on the world in some way, be that good or ill. It validates our existence. Many professions do not provide for that enough. But this sense of helplessness isn't all as bad as that - on a personal level there can still be some reward (sorry Luc, I'm steering it away from a class debate but if you feel it is appropriate go ahead). And incidently I hope I've shown that privilege can motivate people to make the most of it, well so I keep reminding myself.

Little tangent: I remember 9-11 happening. I think it was on the first day of shooting one of the first dramatic, little low-budget short films I did. I saw the people tumbling out the building in flames and thought - 'here I am about to spend loads of money (none of it mine) on passing a load of light through a lens and onto some film'. I thought back then, what kind of individual am I? What am I giving to the world? Of course there was nothing I could do to make that 9-11 situation any better but such images get you thinking. Well I realised that even doing what I was doing was valuable. I resolved to do it better than I had before seeing the images. It made me realise that in organising the shoot as Producer, I was giving loads of people, including myself ,the opportunity to learn the processes of film making. Everyone on the shoot went on to work on some great projects and I realised shortly after, that even in the seemingly frivolous task of passing light onto film had a huge power and potential to it. That's obvious when you don't have lighting trucks and catering vans to organise. Of course film has a power, but I was stuck in the practicalities - and that's significant to the point in this post.

And before you jump up and say what a privileged job that was also, let me please correct you. It was long hours, uncomfortable and difficult locations, high pressure, many egos colliding and most depressingly - I often did it for no pay (to get experience). There was nothing glamorous about that kind of work in the early days. But that motivated me even when I had the baliffs at the door and I couldn't make a proper living because of my convictions about the power of film.

Point is: There's value in everything we do. A cleaner can take pride in what they do on a personal level, and that pride can pass on to others, who can in turn make an impact. That's a good thing and it doesn't need to be taken to a class debate, because I am refering to personal satisfaction (again, I feel I'm gonna get licked for this!). Whatever our profession, however minor our actions out of work, there's something we can pass on. I just had a very mindful moment of that this morning and so I gushed it all out here.

@ Bozo: Sorry to see you go man. Reminds me of your exit into 10k nirvana. But thank you, whoever you are! :wavey:

The Last Conformist said:
And I bashed creationism a bit earlier today, which gotta count for something.
Well done!:goodjob:
You should start up a rival cult of anti-creationism. The cult demands we all drink beer, watch TV and not give a rats ass about anything.

As for me, ive done nothing significant to the world today, and will probably do nothing important tomorrow.
EDIT: Oh wait, i did put a can into the recycle bin, thus saving mother earth.

Rambuchan said:
@ Igloo, Luceafarul & El J - thanks for your posts guys. Good stuff. I hope I didn't lay out what seemed to be a 'how much good does your job do?' thing. I simply mentioned that example because that's what I thought of to get me down to work and away from CFC.

And Luc is so completely right that I am very privileged in that regard. A big reason why so many people feel dissatisfied in their jobs (and I remember doing many bum jobs, feeling the same) is because they don't have the luxury of time or perspective to feel that it is giving some benefit to another. Often the reality of the job doesn't allow for it even. That can get depressing because I believe 99.99% of humans do have a need to feel a sense of their impact on the world in some way, be that good or ill. It validates our existence. Many professions do not provide for that enough. But this sense of helplessness isn't all as bad as that - on a personal level there can still be some reward (sorry Luc, I'm steering it away from a class debate but if you feel it is appropriate go ahead). And incidently I hope I've shown that privilege can motivate people to make the most of it, well so I keep reminding myself.

Little tangent: I remember 9-11 happening. I think it was on the first day of shooting one of the first dramatic, little low-budget short films I did. I saw the people tumbling out the building in flames and thought - 'here I am about to spend loads of money (none of it mine) on passing a load of light through a lens and onto some film'. I thought back then, what kind of individual am I? What am I giving to the world? Of course there was nothing I could do to make that 9-11 situation any better but such images get you thinking. Well I realised that even doing what I was doing was valuable. I resolved to do it better than I had before seeing the images. It made me realise that in organising the shoot as Producer, I was giving loads of people, including myself ,the opportunity to learn the processes of film making. Everyone on the shoot went on to work on some great projects and I realised shortly after, that even in the seemingly frivolous task of passing light onto film had a huge power and potential to it. That's obvious when you don't have lighting trucks and catering vans to organise. Of course film has a power, but I was stuck in the practicalities - and that's significant to the point in this post.

And before you jump up and say what a privileged job that was also, let me please correct you. It was long hours, uncomfortable and difficult locations, high pressure, many egos colliding and most depressingly - I often did it for no pay (to get experience). There was nothing glamorous about that kind of work in the early days. But that motivated me even when I had the baliffs at the door and I couldn't make a proper living because of my convictions about the power of film.

Point is: There's value in everything we do. A cleaner can take pride in what they do on a personal level, and that pride can pass on to others, who can in turn make an impact. That's a good thing and it doesn't need to be taken to a class debate, because I am refering to personal satisfaction (again, I feel I'm gonna get licked for this!). Whatever our profession, however minor our actions out of work, there's something we can pass on. I just had a very mindful moment of that this morning and so I gushed it all out here.
Bolding is mine.
No, my friend, I don't want to use that forbidden c-word here. It is long time since I realized that that is a very dirty word indeed around here.
And I also have the deepest respect and appreciation of the work of people in more privileged positions(doctors, lawyers, scientist etc.). My mother-in-law, for instance, is working her butt off and I really admire her devotion and effort. My point was only the same as you are pointing at yourself, that for many people work is only something you have to do to stay alive, you don't get many creative, economical and social benefits, you don't see directly that way you do is something held in esteem by society. The meaning of life you have to find on some other arena of life then, like family, politics, humanitarian work, hobbies etc.
Like you I also have been doing a lot of not so cozy things. Apart from growing up in a worker's family and learning about who mattered and who didn't, I have for instance been a cleaner. I must confess that even if I knew that I was doing something valuable, I just felt relieved to be finished for the day.
I am sorry if you took some sort of offense to what I wrote, I didn't mean any harm, I just felt that perhaps this is also something that would be worth reflecting our while being at least related to the topic.
And as you may have noticed, I also complimented you on your spirit. I for one envy you your energy and enthusiasm. :)

Rambuchan said:
~ How many of you post on CFC whilst at work? I know of quite a few already.
~ Do you feel bad about it? (I don't cos I mainly do it in a break or in between accomplished tasks but there are times when I've let it get the better of me)
~ What do you do to 'fight the urge'? Read on...

Roughly 95% of my posts are written from work. I don't feel bad about it at all, it's not like I'm neglecting my duties.

Urge..?

Rambuchan said:
Part 2

What I did for the world today:

I was present in it.

Rambuchan said:
(And to the spammers: We already take your mere waking and getting out of bed as a great blessing on the world, so please spare us the obvious ones :p )

I'm not a spammer. :smug:

WickedSmurf said:
Roughly 95% of my posts are written from work. I don't feel bad about it at all, it's not like I'm neglecting my duties.
Most noble Mr Smurf. I think that's how most approach it.
WickedSmurf said:
Now don't tell me you don't know what one of these is! :mischief:
WickedSmurf said:
I was present in it.
:shakehead I wondered who would be first. I must say your name was a way down the list.
WickedSmurf said:
I'm not a spammer. :smug:
Of that I have no doubt.

luceafarul said:
Bolding is mine.
No, my friend, I don't want to use that forbidden c-word here. It is long time since I realized that that is a very dirty word indeed around here.
And I also have the deepest respect and appreciation of the work of people in more privileged positions(doctors, lawyers, scientist etc.). My mother-in-law, for instance, is working her butt off and I really admire her devotion and effort. My point was only the same as you are pointing at yourself, that for many people work is only something you have to do to stay alive, you don't get many creative, economical and social benefits, you don't see directly that way you do is something held in esteem by society. The meaning of life you have to find on some other arena of life then, like family, politics, humanitarian work, hobbies etc.
Like you I also have been doing a lot of not so cozy things. Apart from growing up in a worker's family and learning about who mattered and who didn't, I have for instance been a cleaner. I must confess that even if I knew that I was doing something valuable, I just felt relieved to be finished for the day.
I am sorry if you took some sort of offense to what I wrote, I didn't mean any harm, I just felt that perhaps this is also something that would be worth reflecting our while being at least related to the topic.
And as you may have noticed, I also complimented you on your spirit. I for one envy you your energy and enthusiasm. :)
Another very thoughtful response from dear Luc. Thanks and don't worry, no offense (you're forgetting my elephant skin). :)

Another thing worth adding to your comments, thinking back to some crap jobs I did whilst pursuing my dreams, is that even AFTER the day's job is done one is so beat and annoyed that there isn't energy for anything else. A lot of industrial temp jobs I did were just brutal. 12 hour shifts in a massive industrial bakery, you go home like a zombie, completely exhausted, sleep for most of your 'off-time', do your domestic chores for the rest and go to work.

That is a life caught up in just surviving. It's disgusting that we flatter ourselves with notions of how far we have come, that our modern urban existence gives us these luxuries of free time which our ancestors never enjoyed. That's plain lies.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to find a phonebooth to go put my red underpants and cape on... :rolleyes:

Rambuchan said:
Most noble Mr Smurf. I think that's how most approach it.

I sure hope so.

Rambuchan said:
Now don't tell me you don't know what one of these is! :mischief:

See below.

Rambuchan said:
:shakehead I wondered who would be first. I must say your name was a way down the list.

:D How could I resist? Oh and it's always nice to surprise people. ;)

WickedSmurf said:
:D How could I resist? Oh and it's always nice to surprise people. ;)
I guess this is what you did for the world today right? In which case, please let me offer thank on behalf of us all.

I don't post at work because I try to set a good example. I feel guilty if I am wasting time in an air conditioned office while my employees are busting their asses in a 100f kitchen.

I signed a contract to buy all of our chickens from organic producers 12 months hence. The contract is with a mainline perveyor that has convinced all of their sources to convert to organic and free range. They are trying to switch over their entire meat line to organic and are only $0.20 per pound over conventional prices for chicken. They will be certified organic in a year and will no longer sell non-organic, non-free range meat according to the contract we signed; if they fail in this I have an out. I think our customers are willing to pay $0.10 more for a chicken sandwich if it is organic. They are a gigantic marketer of meat, if they can pull off going 100% organic for all their meat it will be a paradigm shift for local agriculture. Right now it is only niche market companies that are selling organic free range meat; while on one hand I am deserting them, I am also giving a major agro-biz player an economic reason to source their product in a more enviormentally sensetive way. The implications of commodity agriculture going organic are not to be denied.

I taught a recently released felon how to make real demi-glace from scratch, how to make creme fraiche and whip it into butter and coached him while he worked on learning saute.

Other than that I did a bunch of stuff that did nothing to improve the world in the big picture but got me through the day.

Part 1: I come here from work, and post from work. I don't really feel guilty because as a programmer, I usually post while the computer is busy compilling (and that can take a time with the projects I'm working on).
Multi tasking!

Part 2:¨My company is working on software for procedure design and aeronautical cartography. So everyday I contribute in a way into increasing the safety of air travel, and help allowing the increase of traffic.

Rambuchan said:
I guess this is what you did for the world today right? In which case, please let me offer thank on behalf of us all.

Man I don't give a rats ass what I do or do not to for/to the world. Whatever makes me happy. :) Simply put.

Well, I post from home as I work only on odd hours in job in which I don't have chance to post here. I'll be leaving it soon though.

I suffer from slight insomnia so I can post in any time of a day here in the forum of course trying to irritate people out.
Sometimes it works out, sometimes doesn't. Well, cannot be succesfull in everything.

Otherwise I spend my time reading and exercising a bit which turns things that used to be living in my body into unrecognisable things.

I guess the same happens with thoughts I read in this forum and eventually come out in other form.

So basically day after day I am human sized information and food consumer which afterproduct is crap.

Whether it helps someone out or not is the last thing I'm qualified to judge.
But for my defence I can only say I was born like this way and I don't know any other.
It's probably only excuse to allow myself post things like these.

nonconformist said:

Green Day is better then most of the stuff you probably listen to ^^

Top Bottom