What did you do for the world today?

Rambuchan

The Funky President
Today, whilst at work, I fought the urge to post in CFC pretty well. :D

I managed to focus on my workload and achieve all my goals and then some. I'm sure many people find it 'a challenge' at times. As much as I love hanging out on CFC, you guys are not paying for me to post here, in the same way that my boss is paying me to 'post emails to clients' and solve their problems. That fact reminded me not to open up CFC or enter a thread when I 'felt the urge', and I didn't have any hesitation turning my back on you guys for a few hours :p . (sorry)

So I've got some quick questions and then something we can keep posting back. I guess you could say this thread comes in two parts.

Part 1 - Quickies:

~ How many of you post on CFC whilst at work? I know of quite a few already.
~ Do you feel bad about it? (I don't cos I mainly do it in a break or in between accomplished tasks but there are times when I've let it get the better of me)
~ What do you do to 'fight the urge'? Read on...

To fight the urge, I reminded myself of my obligation to my boss, but that wasn't the main factor. I actively chose to find the reward in doing the work and, more importantly, I reminded myself that I have the potential to bring some benefit to the world through my job. Sounds a bit slushy? Well let me specify and then maybe the reason for the thread will become apparent. I hope you'll follow the format below to develop the thread.

Part 2

What I did for the world today:

One of the things I had to do today was to 'process' a business plan for a pharmaceutical manufacturer in India. This basically means skim reading it (this one was an epic!), finding the deficiencies in information, if any, and correcting / providing for them. I then had to put together a 3 page summary of their 'funding proposal'. That's it, well it's one of the things I had to do.

The Consequences:

In doing this seemingly mindnumbing task (which I have to do pretty much everyday), I put myself in a position to talk in detail about this company's need for finance, with either/or lending banks and investors. Next week we might get to talking about the terms for the loan, if they like the detail that is. In maybe a month's time, that loan may get disbursed (if all goes well) and suddenly a pharmaceuticals company will be able to expand its operations, produce more life-saving/improving drugs and also employ more people in rural, Southern India. Sometimes these things don't go through. There are afterall many obstacles and formalities to endure. But in doing that small task (revising the business plan and making the 3 page summary), I also strengthened the management of that company's hand. They now understand better the requirements to go about securing corporate loans from western banks - it's a common problem in developing countries that management do not understand the formalities of 1st world investors/lenders. It is a small act but one which sowed the seed for future benefits.

This is one thing I did for the world today.

Now please let me point out that these 'things' need not be something we did at work. It can be teaching a kid to count to 5, or donating to charity, or building a shed for your neighbour. I know some of you do some interesting jobs out there, and it would be good to hear about those through your deeds. But I hope my example shows that even through small acts we can do something for the world. It's that old "Think Globally and Act Locally" chestnut.

So what did you do for the world today?

(And to the spammers: We already take your mere waking and getting out of bed as a great blessing on the world, so please spare us the obvious ones :p )

Part 1: Filter does not let it through, and use free lessons for other purposes

Part 2: Consumed resources in an unrepentant manner, and disposed of any remains and other things without a care for the future, drove one's car for some elementary trips, took part in glorious capitalism in action, did a bit of reading and writing, and worked on some lesson plans and worksheets in order to further the indoctrination of children in far right wing ideology. Also glowered at some children, fobbed off a charity collector and sneered at a funny looking new chap.

One cannot actually post and work at the same time, so admitting that one is posting from work is much like an attempted distraction from the truth that one is being distracted :crazyeye:

Today, I wrote letters to mega-corporations probing for the possibility of sponsorship that would reduce the size of holes in a funding proposal which made up part of a programme plan skimmed through today. This had no connection to any Indian pharmaceutical company but if successful, the programme would create jobs for people of eastern Europe - is that good? :)

@ram, I see it as making money, so I can afford a nice big house (eventually, legally, and asap) with an indoor pool :sad:

Edit: Perspective subject to influence by mood or weather.

Im a professional boxer, and post in between rounds. Some of my best posts have been right after being knocked out. Theres the bell, gotta go!

(puts in mouthpiece)

stormbind said:
@ram, I see it as making money, so I can afford a nice big house (eventually, legally, and asap) with an indoor pool :sad:
Is that so you can mix with the big boy diplomats? (You're still aiming at that right?)

Bozo Erectus said:
Im a professional boxer, and post in between rounds. Some of my best posts have been right after being knocked out. Theres the bell, gotta go!

(puts in mouthpiece)
And the consequence is?

@ TLC: Fair dinkum mate. That's a small job done well.

Rambuchan said:
Part 1 - Quickies:

So baby, if it's good for the World :mischief:

Rambuchan said:
Is that so you can mix with the big boy diplomats? (You're still aiming at that right?)
I do not know anything about existing diplomats. I just want a pool :D

My objectives are unchanged, but I perceive them as being some decades away so not much of current behaviour is influenced by that dream.

Bozo Erectus said:

(puts in mouthpiece)
I thought you were an actor. Now I am disappointed :(

Thats my night job. Im currently appearing in a Morse code version of 'Fiddler on The Roof'.

Nothing since Monday is part of my weekend.

Bozo Erectus said:
Thats my night job. Im currently appearing in a Morse code version of 'Fiddler on The Roof'.
Very good. :goodjob:

We have a comedian here called Lenny Henry, best loved black comedian. He did a series of sketches entitled "Is it cos I is black?" This saw him going to a surrogate mothers clinic and getting turned down > "It's because I'm a black man isn't it?"

And your Fiddler on the Roof somehow reminds me of the best of theose sketches: Going for an audtion to play the part of Annie, in Annie Hall. :lol:

Anyway, I hope we won't spam up this thread too much. There was a valuable point to posting it, about out actions, motivations and the consequences of them. It's not just an open invite to spam. (We've found quite a few good threads which seem to fully endorse that ;) )

Ram, as far as Im concerned this is now a spam free zone. I will say no more in this thread, because I could not hope to stick to the high level of discourse displayed by Perfection in post #16:lol:

~ How many of you post on CFC whilst at work? I know of quite a few already.
~ Do you feel bad about it? (I don't cos I mainly do it in a break or in between accomplished tasks but there are times when I've let it get the better of me)
~ What do you do to 'fight the urge'?
~ all the time!
~ sometimes but it ain't stoppin' me!
~ look at the pile of work sitting on my desk! :lol:

What I did for the world today:
this one is a little harder...hmm...nothing! nothing at all!

Top Bottom