1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What difficulty level do you need to be able to play at to be considered a Civ V pro?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kamex, Jan 26, 2011.

?

What difficulty level do you need to be able to play at to be considered a Civ V pro?

1. Deity

39.8%
  2. Immortal or above

29.5%
  3. Emperor or above

12.5%
  4. Other - please specify

18.2%
  1. kamex

kamex Chieftain

When I read some of the inspiring strategy articles here at CFC, I often wonder what level these players play at, and what level I should aim to beat to become one of the 'elite'.

It may be a bit of an odd question, as I'd imagine capable players can easily play at whatever level they like, but the question is, what level do 'you' think a pro player should play at?

(Not necessarily Deity). ;)

2. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Chieftain

Yeah it is an odd question. I don't think it has been set yet. Nobody cares also. There's not like a pro-lounge and you don't even get an internet badge. Half the people here that say they are deity champs are just liars so you might as well just go with that.

3. lschnarch

lschnarch Chieftain

Who would ever care about being a "Civ"5 pro?

Actually, a standard Civilization game player should be able to master emperor. Immortal, if wanting to put some effort into the playing.

Pro? Who cares about this when playing a game which literally is Panzer General Light?

4. joasoze

joasoze Chieftain

To be a civ pro you need to play CIV IV in my opinion :)

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I'd say 'Deity', but it depends how exclusive you want to be. After not being at all good with the higher difficulties in Civ4, I was surprised to find Emperor not all that difficult. I've yet to lose on it. So I wouldn't think Emperor makes you a 'pro'. There seems to be a reasonable amount of Deity players floating around, so that would seem a good standard if you are really wanting to identify who is 'elite'.

6. elthrasher

elthrasher Revcaster

To be a pro, you need to get paid to play. Anybody want to pay me to play?

:: predictable joke about how soon this will be the only way to get anyone to play ::

7. Mutineer

Mutineer Chieftain

Settler, lever of strategy stay the same.

8. cman2010

cman2010 Chieftain

civ 5 pro, there are no civ 5 pros.

9. kamex

kamex Chieftain

This is quite true, I'm currently playing on immortal, but could never get that far on Civ IV.

And for the rest, I'm feeling a lot of CiV bashing again....:rolleyes:

10. Adhesive86

Adhesive86 Chieftain

I've only played CiV on Emperor, but I find it very easy as even when I ruin my economy the AI can't fight. I used to play Civ 4 on Noble or King which I found more challenging.
    I would suggest that to be considered a top player you really need to be playing Deity, although I imagine this probably isn't that hard either.

11. bryanb2007

bryanb2007 Chieftain

A good way to challenge yourself is to play the GOTM. There aren't any GOTMs for civ V yet, but the GOTM staff are hard at work on it I'm sure. In the mean time you can play the GOTM training series. This gives you an opportunity to play (hopefully) an interesting civ V game, and then compare how you did with other players. Reading the after action report of great players is a good way to learn more.

For my vote I'll choose Immortal.

12. Bob_

Bob_ Chieftain

Since u can win on immortal without much thinking it has to be deity

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I would say other humans, but that's a little rough in civ V because the rules break MP entirely right now.......

14. I_qua_I

I_qua_I Chieftain

I picked the other option seeing as it's not quite clear to me what being a "Civ 5 pro" consists of. What's the criterion???

15. Smote

Smote Chieftain

Typically:

Emperor: Beaten with basic optimization, no grand strategy, no AI-exploits [tech whatever feels right]
    Immortal: Beaten with basic optimization + grand strategy, no AI-exploits [tech order, policy order planned]
    Deity: Beaten with basic optimization + grand strategy + AI exploits [tactics based on luxury selling/RAs]

There are exceptions, but these are the general guidelines from my experience. I do not consider anyone at Civ 5 "Pro", since I prefer the standard definition of "paid to play."

When looking at "paid to play" players from Starcraft, Warcraft III, FPS games, you will be amazed at the quality of play, which is near perfect in a real time game.

I would love to see similar level of play in a turn-based game, which would be something similar to the level of thinking and detail involved in professional chess.

16. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

I think it's a waste of time to be a 'pro' in a computer game ... why not spend your time becoming a real-life pro and get paid for it? (And earn the respect of real-life human beings, including women.)

17. Bob_

Bob_ Chieftain

Thats obviously true. The question is a different one tho. Some people just like playing the game (without the primary goal of becoming a pro) and want to know their ranking. I see nothing wrong with it.

"I picked the other option seeing as it's not quite clear to me what being a "Civ 5 pro" consists of. What's the criterion???"

I d suggest the criterion that you significantly play better than the average civer. In this case it d mean the x% best of all players, for example the best 5% (which would be statistically standard). To be very significant you can even take the 1% best.

18. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

Here are the reasons why I like playing at Prince and don't plan to ever move up.

First, it puts me on equal-footing with the AI, which I like to know.

Second, it is easy enough that I can play to win using various different strategies, not all of which optimal.

I can make mistakes, play casually and still win. :)

When the game is made more difficult by future patches and other changes, I won't have to move down a level.

19. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

I only play to win or lose under any settings if that's how i feel for the day... good or bad, better and worst, easy & tough.
    Tricks & experience, victory before defeat. No cheat, with (or without) plenty of mods, bazillion of gameplay variations ahead.
    Pro or not, i still prefer King to Deity for the normality challenge.

20. kamex

kamex Chieftain

Yes thats what I meant by 'pro', to be considered a great player by others in the community (like TheMeInTeam) ;)

Statistics is also a way of measuring your skill level, though the accuracy of the Steam statistics (from the achievements board is somewhat... unreliable) :crazyeye:

Nobody is saying theres anything wrong with playing on prince, but for those of us who want to feel challenged by the game, and not 'casualy win', thats what the big boy levels are for :D

BTW, FYI your not actually equal with the AI, it still has bonuses (check the XML) ;)

This is interesting, although what do you mean by 'optimization'? :confused: