1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do we fight about?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by eyrei, Feb 5, 2006.

1. eyrei

eyrei Chieftain Retired Moderator

The Japanese and the Chinese seem to be in some sort of diplomatic spat about some comments regarding educational superiority.

I wish governments argued about such things more often...

2. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the USA doesn't really have anything to say regarding education.

I mean everybody knows that after No Child Left Behind was implemented, our education system became effectively flawless. :cooool:

3. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Id be willing to bet Japan has superior educated children due to a superior educational system. If America put less emphasis on sports, more money and attention could be focused on academic achievements. Though getting rid of sports would cause a civil war. Even I don't know if I could do without them.

4. Aramazd

Aramazd Chieftain

I don't think that sports should be demphasized. Instead, just raise the minimum GPA. Currently if you have a 2.0 or more you can play sports. I think it should be raised to 3.0 or 3.5.

5. Atlas14

That would work if you have no qualms with the quality of education nowdays in America. I personally wish studies should be a bit more rigorous early on, so that the first 3 years of schooling aren't being spent on how to read and write sentences and perform 9+8 and 1X1.

6. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Ok, wait a second. Our educational system is weak because of an emphasis on sports? Then how come kids are so fat, and schools have been cutting gym programs?

The reason the education system sucks in the US are the tenured teachers that show up drunk to their afternoon classes, not sports.

7. Atlas14

Sports are not mandatory for all kids, which is why many kids are still fat. Of course there are many reasons why the education system sucks, but the root of the problem is the curriculum simply isn't strong enough, the quality of teachers is becoming a joke, and schools are prided more for their winning football teams than their academic geniuses.

8. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Nah, I think the main reason the educational system has become a joke is because women are working.

Wait, wait, hear me out. I'm serious. I'm not really blaming women working, I'm blaming a society whose members are compelled to own every useless thing (he says as he caresses his iPod) and thus both parents are forced to work in order to support the family. I think kids would be better off if one parent (honest, it could be either--doesn't have to be the mother) stayed home. The stay-at-home parent would be better able to ensure the child was studying, would be better able to work with teachers via PTA/conferences, would be able to work for improving the system, etc. Instead, both parents are so busy working that they don't have the time to take the steps necessary to ensure their children are maximizing their educational possibilities.

9. Atlas14

Thats why I think homeschooling kids during elementary school years gives them such an advantage over regular public school kids, because the parent can ensure the kid is studying and making true progress. The parent also knows what the kid needs to work on. However, most parents as you pointed out, either have no time whatsoever to do this or they simply couldn't care less about their kid's education.

10. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

The one disadvantage with home-schooling (and the reason why I --some might say ironically-- support sending children to day care) is that there is a definite lack of socialization for the child. In addition, you're reducing the number of authoritative adults they come into contact with.

11. SoCalian

SoCalian Chieftain

Exactly! There was an article in my school newspaper last week, about how the administration places too much emphasis on Football, while compleatly neglecting all the other academic competitions (except We The People), even though they are often 10 times more succesful. Remind me again, why Football gets new jerseys every year at around $100 each, when all other sports' are as old as the schools is, and debate gets almost no funding?

12. elfangor801

elfangor801 So cold....

Because Football, at least in America, is the most important sport :p. We just have to live with it. I think the games are a ton of fun but we really do waste a lot of money on it don't we....

In regards to the failures of education, it really isn't anyone fault, it's a combination of many, many things. One being crappy teachers, but being someone who's been in many, many schools, I can tell you I've had only a few bad teachers. And some of those were in the South :p. I think it's more the utter lack of...will? to succeed. The kids that were going to be middle class from birth stay that way and take honors, and very few others do. The problem is no one cares and we let the majority of students (Like 60 percent in my school) just kinda drift off. It isn't really as much the school's fault as the parents' and the kids'. We have a really good school, just bad policies that let people get away with murder doing so little.

13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I think that it is good for the Usa that not all people aspire to become scientists/academists/lawyers etc, since in the EU it seems that most do, and this creates always a massive need for less esteemed jobs. As things are theEU needs a new massive wave of immigrants every 10 years, since no one else is there to take those jobs. This is not healthy though

14. SoCalian

SoCalian Chieftain

so, I think we should take those 60% or so of underacheives in the current system, and instead of pushing them towards a college gaol they don't particularly care for, we train them in an industry that they do enjoy. This way, teachers can forcus on providing better education for those who want it, and those who don't, can still be productive members of society. The problem is, the system is too college oriented, when many of the students aren't.

15. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Chieftain

Americans don't need to fight about education, the dumb majority have their place, to fight in their armies and to support America when it fight. America can always import their smarts from overseas, which is cheaper than developing a better education system. A large pool of educated people is unnecessary and perhaps even hazardous to a World power.

16. shahreevar

shahreevar Chieftain

educated populace are annoying for the Gvernment which wishes to rule with an absolute authority. the dumber the pop, the easier it is to manipulate them.