What do you call the indigenous people of the Americas?

What do you call them?

• Indians

Votes: 36 29.0%
  • Amerindians

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Native Americans/natives

Votes: 60 48.4%
  • Indigenous people/population (of the Americas)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • (American) Aboriginals

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Who cares what you call them?

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
Couldn't you name the indigenous people of America "Americans" and all the rest living in America "immigrants" for political correctness?

Ironically, if you did the same with Europe and Europeans(declare that people with noneuropean origins could never become European), you would be extremely politically incorrect.

I see, well American Indians seem to prefer being called Indians so I suppose you'll just have to tough it out.

I see, well American Indians seem to prefer being called Indians so I suppose you'll just have to tough it out.

And some white people prefer to be called the master race so you can chill yourself out you inferior race...

Your previous statement was a bit ambiguous. Anyway, if I understand you right you think American Indians are lazy and you resent them using the name that your own ethnicity uses, even though your own ethnicity doesn't call itself that in their native language. The Indians didn't originally call themselves Indians but they choose to use it now but you still dislike that, although you're living in their country of origin.

Your previous statement was a bit ambiguous. Anyway, if I understand you right you think American Indians are lazy and you resent them using the name that your own ethnicity uses, even though your own ethnicity doesn't call itself that in their native language. The Indians didn't originally call themselves Indians but they choose to use it now but you still dislike that, although you're living in their country of origin.

Indians don't have native language, they have many, my grandfather knows 5+ of them.

I'm living in my country of origin, I was born in San Francisco. Their ancestors migrated to North America and slaughtered/displaced others in the process.

Wait a minute, are you truly claiming that the humans that first migrated from Siberia to North America "displaced" other humans, who couldn't have been there in the first place?

immigrants came in waves hence how there were pre-Clovis people

Wait a minute, are you truly claiming that the humans that first migrated from Siberia to North America "displaced" other humans, who couldn't have been there in the first place?

Many anthropologists that the groups of people that we toss under the term "Native American" actually consist of waves of migrations across a long period of time. I'm just tossing that out there, I haven't heard that these migrations displaced previous groups that ventured into N. America, but there are still many things we are learning.

So which group of people do we consider "Native Americans?" Because from what I've read, there is clear evidence that a group of people came to N. America, and were followed by others later. So should only this first group be labeled "Native Americans?" What about the others that would shed this label?

It isn't a clear issue of "they were here first, thus this land is theirs and they are 'native americans'"

In any of those plus 5 languages are the inhabitants of bharat called indians? And why are they so insistent on being called Indians in a country that wasn't even theirs historically ?

Homo Sapiens did what Homo Sapiens do best, kill, displace, and mate with the land's previous inhabitants since the very beginning of our migration out of Africa. Homo Neanderthalis and Homo Erectus were the first two to feel our wrath.

Also I subscribe to the Solutrean theory so really the people that came over the Bering Land Bridge were the first people doing the displacing in the western hemisphere, not the post-Columbian Europeans.

My point about Indians not calling themselves Indians in Hindi or Bengali, whatever, is that Indians were not always known as Indians either and the names of lots of nationalities are based on misconceptions, not just American Indians.

American Indian isn't a nationality, so you have a misconception of a misconception here.

I'm all for calling Native Americans Indians and calling subcontinentals who happen to live in India Pakistanis to remove the ambiguity.

erm... didn'y you just do it?

Pakistanis.

West Pakistanis.

so if a native american lives in Australia, is he eastern native american, western native american, or eastern aboriginal?

Top Bottom