1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you call yours?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jarcher, Jan 3, 2006.

1. jarcher

jarcher Chieftain

I'm sure this thread will die a quick death, but hey.

Who else renames their naval ships. I don't really bother with land units, unless i have an uber unit and it deserves to be recognised for its brave deeds. But if i play as England i always name my ships, beginning with HMS. Current favourites are HMS Enterprise, Bounty, Victory, and so on. The ability to do this makes the game so much more personal.

I was just wondering if anyone else names their ships/land units. What countries? What names?

2. flytyer

flytyer Master Fisherman

I usually do not build a navy but if I have a strong land unit that has been successfull I will give them great Generals names like Patton, Hannibal, etc. Geeky, yeah, but who cares.

3. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Even geekier (and I only do this when Im really proud of my civ), I stick to the traditional way of naming ships after terms of moral strength i.e Enterprise, Courage, Endeavour etc

My best ship was the destroyer, S.S. Bravery in the Face of Great Peril :)

4. oldskool138

oldskool138 Chieftain

I went the funny route and named an aircraft carrier the U.S.S. Esses after the carrier from "Hot Shots". :lol:

5. ghen

ghen Chieftain

holy crap, thats over the top.. I never name any of my units :o

Maybe if the game popped up after the level 5 promotion and forced me to rename it I'd get creative.. but arbitrary naming seems really really nerdy.. And thats something I thought I'd never say about another person ;)

6. jarcher

jarcher Chieftain

Come on mate, we all know the navy is underused in this game. I don't think renaming 5 or 6 ships is nerdy. Renaming every single land unit ... now that would be nerdy! :D

Will anyone admit to doing this?

7. Artanis

Artanis King

I rename every land unit that hits level 5.

...I tend to end up with a LOT of named Cossacks :blush:

8. UnitQ

UnitQ #1 Unit

I rename my naval ships that have more then two promotions, or if they do something for the civ that would make me really happy. I name them depending on the civ. For example if im Egypt ill call a ship E.S.S. etc, or if im the aztecs it will be the A.S.S. etc :)) ). Japan, J.S.S. etc like that.

9. Roetghoer

Roetghoer Warlord

Hmmm i never give names to units, and would never consider naming my ships ASS (like ASS Odysea):p

10. Tarascan_King

Tarascan_King Chieftain

Most of the time I rename my ships, for me it would make the game more interesting if the AI could do the same, maybe something simple like the name of there cities.

11. salty

salty Prince

No way this is a great idea.
    For circus fans, you can have A.S.S. Clown
    For soccer fans you can have A.S.S. Kicker
    or bald people may enjoy having the A.S.S. Hat :hatsoff:

12. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

I don't name my units, it's already enough of bummer when of the half dozen Cossacks I've leveled up to 8 or 9 dies -- with a 98% chances of success :undecide:

13. Caprice

Caprice Warlord

After seeing this thread, I decided that the warrior that my game started with (was just starting one a bit later) would be named "Original" and I would see how long I could keep him alive.

I can't imagine naming all of my units... seems like a lot of time for nothing to me, but if it helps you sort out your strategy (or you just have fun doing it) then that is cool.

I would probably just give mine ******** names anyway like "Talleywacker" and "Beer Guzzler."

14. drjones

drjones Warlord

On a whim when my first warrior killed some panthers I named it the 'Panther Brigade' thinking I would level it up throughout history. 5 turns later a bear ate it.

-drjones

15. Lord GS-41

Lord GS-41 Chieftain

I'll have to try that. They should make a new award for how much can you level him up before the game ends, supplement to GOTM. :lol:

Anyway, I name my units as follows:

Level 4's are Captains
    Level 5's are Majors
    Level 6's are Colonels
    Level 7's are General
    Level 8's are Commanders

And after the rank, some ethnically fitting name. I played as China last game, so I'd get "Captain Han" and this game I'm playing as Greece, so I get "Captain Perseus." I don't look up names, they're just what sound right through life experience. (Or Greek mythology.)

16. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

You can assign names to units automatically, just like ti works for great people. Obviously it would work best for unique units since they'd all pull names from the same list for a generic (e.g. Warrior) unit. If you really, really want it in there you can just create a unique version of ships, for example, for each civ and give them a name list. It might be fun for scenarios but I can't imagine trying to come up with enough unique names for all of the ships you may burn through in one "normal" game :)

17. Proteus

Proteus King

I almost always name my ships with a designation for the ship type (for example BB for Battleships or FR for Frigates) followed by the name (I don´t change the designation after upgrade, so that for example "IC Warrior" could be a destroyer, upgraded from an ironclad).

I often name the land armies (unit stacks) I use for invasion with a leader name followed by a number (for example an army with 6 units could get the names "Rommel 1" to "Rommel 6" or sometimes "Rommel 1/6" to "Rommel 6/6")
    I also normally give higher level units (either from Level 4 onwards or from Level 5 onwards) individual names (sometimes beginning with a designation for nuit type or role on the battlefield).

18. Acceptable_Loss

Acceptable_Loss Chieftain

In some of my games I name all of my units... usually along the lines of !st Infantry, 2nd infantry and so on... but regardless I ALWAYs name all my ships

Here's how my naming scheme goes:
    The Prefix to all ships is based on the civ... as in... America = U.S.S. Persia =P.S. England = H.M.S. and so on...
    then it goes as follow
    Galley, Caravels, Galleons and transports and named after fish: Swordfish, Flying Fish and Snapper and some of my favorites
    Frigates Ironclads Battleships and Destroyers are given destructive verbs like Destoyer, Anihilator and Marauder.
    Aircraft Carriers are named after the greatest cities in my empire (usually starting with the capital city or the port city that contructed the ship) I loved the game where my first carrier was named the P.S. Moscopolis (short story Immortals > russian archers)

19. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

:lol: Thanks for that :)

20. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

:lol:

A great moment in gaming by the sounds of it!