What do you consider Civ VI's default map size/speed?

I currently consider Small map size, Quick game speed as the game's standard settings. Normal map size, Standard speed feels to me like a Large map with slow speed.

With the building of districts on the map, it seems like they are representational, rather than literal, depictions of the world, which I think suits a smaller board-game style map with a quicker game pace.

The increased need for thinking, regarding city-planning and District placement, uses up a lot of brain resources, so I prefer not to have too many cities. More than a dozen feels like too many to have to deal with.

The maximum number of civs allowed in the vanilla game on small size is 10, which seems like a good number. Civs average at half a dozen or so cities, although some civs can get much higher. I maintain the default 2:3 ratio of civs to city-states, so I think 15 city-states is also a good number, and more than this would be too much. I do increase number of religions, though (to 6 on Small map and 8 on Standard map).

My default settings: Standard size, standard speed, default number of civs and city states, map type Shuffle, disaster level 3, difficulty diety, everything else default

For Civ VI default settings when playing multiplayer, I leave everything on default, apart from map type and game speed. For those I ususally use continents and islands and standard speed.

If I play solo, which I prefer, I use Huge map with 22 Civs, Continents and islands, high sea level and old world setting. For game speed I use epic. This tends to create maps that feel pretty earth-like and the early game is slowed down a bit.

Huge map with default 12 civs, normal speed.

Huge map with 22 civs? Never imagined it was possible. Definitely will try this next game.

Huge map with default 12 civs, normal speed.

Huge map with 22 civs? Never imagined it was possible. Definitely will try this next game.
After surviving the initial early game, it makes for a much more interesting map in my opinion. There are some civs that have already conquered some and choosing all alliances still leaves you enough of enemies. Wonders are also pretty hard to build.

Map Selection: Shuffle
Map Size: Huge, -2 civ's
Difficulty: Immortal
House Rules:
  • No +0 districts
  • No Rationalism or similar policies
  • No declarations of war unless the civ has earned enough grievances to at least cancel the grievances for declaring war
  • No gifts (aid emergencies are an exception, but I try to vote them down)
  • No aircraft

there are often times I wish I played on a large map because I like to scout everything a.s.a.p. that by the late game there are few surprises.
but a standard size usually works.
Standard speed. over 500 turns is just way to long for me.

Standard size, standard speed, Continents & Islands. I've tried all of the others at least once, but come back to this basic setup.

Sometimes I'll still play around with # of Civs, either 1 or 2 greater or fewer to change the dynamic up a bit.

Standard size: 8 players
Standard speed
Difficulty: Emperor

Map type: Pangaea, Continents, Archipelago.

I like to keep those first three settings a constant since I 1) like to compare civs against each other and find out who is the fastest at certain victories and 2) those seem to be the most balanced for how the game is designed. I think that by keeping all my games in those parameters, I can properly understand build times, building units, and having a good general framework in which to play.

Emperor is the sweet spot, since I can win with certain civs on Deity, but I at least have some challenge thrown at me.

Map type depends on the civ and victory condition. Do I want to go cultural Indonesia? Archipelago. Religious Russia? Pangaea. I'll tweak the temperature or legendary start if I'm playing a civ that depends on terrain or if I need resources. Brazil? Damn right I'm doing Wet. Inca, early Earth to get more mountains. I think it's perfectly fair to adjust settings to play your chosen civ to its fullest potential.

Disaster is always default 2, unless I'm playing Egypt or Canada, then I'll go to 4.

Last edited:
My default is small map size, one extra Civ (the 'crowding' makes it interesting for me), and continents - gives you a bit of everything. You also use Emperor Difficulty, Standard speed, Ancient Era start, Disaster level 2, and two extra City States to compensate for the additional Civ.

Everything else remains standard

Small map, add 2 extra civs, diety difficulty, standard speed, random leader, continents.

I got away from continents for a while because it also seemed to just give me 2 land masses and nothing else, but over the last few months it's given me some really cool maps with smaller continents supplementing the larger ones.

I add extra civs because I feel like there is way too much space to grow without them... sometimes the amount of space the game gives you or an AI is ridiculous on default settings. It's still a bit of a crapshoot because the map generator will sometimes put those extra civs right on top of another, but when it actually gives you a map where everyone has some space I find it leads to enjoyable games.

Everything on default ("standard" etc.). Map size and type depends on my current mood.

Huge map, normal speed. I put more than 12 civs, and then max out the city-states. I generally prefer continents or continents & islands type maps.

Been playing default disaster settings, but want to try disaster setting 4 for my next game.

My default is small map size, one extra Civ (the 'crowding' makes it interesting for me), and continents - gives you a bit of everything. You also use Emperor Difficulty, Standard speed, Ancient Era start, Disaster level 2, and two extra City States to compensate for the additional Civ.

Everything else remains standard
I find that, with the default numbers of Civs, there are too many patches of land that don't get settled until relatively later in the game, which seems unrealistic. So I also like to crowd the map with extra Civs. It may also create more drama, wars, conquering and so on. With smaller empire sizes, it's easier for an AI to conquer another AI.

I consider Small map size to best calibrated for Quick game speed, judging by things like how long it takes to circumnavigate and explore the whole world, as well as general pacing feel. Standard speed I therefore think is for Standard size maps.

It seems to me that small maps are intended to be the “default” despite the name. I’ve tried a lot of sizes and it seems like a lot of mechanics- especially gathering storm mechanics- work best on this size.

I do small maps mostly, and I actually like to remove city states (from 9 down to 6, usually.)
I usually don’t like to warmonger when it can be avoided, and cutting out a few city states ******s the extreme ramp up of the game once you start putting 3-6 envoys everywhere.

I also put disasters to 4, though, I recognize it’s not standard. But leaving out some city states also removes their exclusion zone for settling- and most land on main continents ends up settled by the Renaissance even if I’m just building on emperor. (I like having flexibility to settle because I like maximizing adjacencies in districts and improvements. Having a great aqueduct triangle placement ruined is cause for war.)

Top Bottom