What do you consider the 'normal' map size?

What do you consider the 'default' map size?

• small

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • standard

Votes: 48 57.1%
  • other

Votes: 25 29.8%

• Total voters

Bangau

Prince
Since playing CIV 6 it has bothered me: when starting a new game the 'default' settings set the map size to 'small'. I would expect (and in previous versions of CIV I believe it was the case) that 'standard' would be the default setting!

When you play, what do you consider the default size?

(Oh, and I'd love to see the random option back for map size, to make it easier to start a truly random game! It seems that Firaxis is reading these forums, so you never know. ;-) )

Standard should be the default size. I wonder if they do that so that with people on the lower end of system requirements have a good time.

That said, I tend to get bored with standard or larger size maps. It seems like you're doing the same stuff but more of it. I kinda do prefer small.

Huge is my go-to map size.
The inland sea maptype on Huge is... well, huge.

huge. :p

since I built my new computer, huge is pretty much the only thing I run (other than the red death scenario yesterday). I have the cpu for it, I might as well go all the way.

huge. :p

since I built my new computer, huge is pretty much the only thing I run (other than the red death scenario yesterday). I have the cpu for it, I might as well go all the way.
People will ridicule me for this; but I think it gets tedious, doing the same thing you would be only with more cities/units/whatever.

People will ridicule me for this; but I think it gets tedious, doing the same thing you would be only with more cities/units/whatever.

different strokes for different folks. I just feel like my empire feels more like an empire with larger maps.

That's true too. Sometimes I just want to see if my idea works and I'll get the general idea with a few cities.

Of course the number of civs in larger maps makes wonder competition tougher, and more cities might speed up the end game, so i might have to come around.

That the game doesn't allow you to save the setting between launches is almost criminal.

I went ahead and created templates for the game types and sizes I commonly play (king_std_cont, emp_std_lakes, etc.)

Standard map is my preferred map size. Got used to 30+ hour games in Civ III and never looked beyond.

It's coded to be small as the default, if we stick with the usual meaning of the word default. And we can't change that even if we want to.

In this context, I'd define normal as the most commonly used size. More players have won on a standard size map than any other size, per steam achievement numbers, so standard seems normal.

As for my usual, I suspect I play on large more than any other size....

Top Bottom