1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you consider to be the "first/lowest hard mode"?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 18, 2021.

?

What do you consider to be the "first/lowest hard mode"?

1. Below Prince (1-3)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Prince (4)

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. King (5)

15 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Emperor (6)

48 vote(s)
    43.6%
  5. Immortal (7)

33 vote(s)
    30.0%
  6. Diety (8)

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. Not even Diety is hard!!!

9 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

For me, I've beaten deity in all 4 of the "main" victory conditions with civs that are poorly suited towards that victory condition, so I have that bragging right. That said, I don't play the game for bragging rights but rather I play it because I think it is the best and most fun game there is! As such, I usually play Emperor - anything below and I'm just not seeing any competition at all, making everything from the medieval era on a boring "click next turn" snooze-fest. Anything above Emperor, and I don't have the unlimited freedom to do whatever I want and still have things work out the way I planned... So I guess my vote would be for immortal - to me, that's the first level where I need to sacrifice some of the things that I WANT to do in favor of things that I NEED to do.

2. LMT

LMT Warlord

I think this just depends on how good of a player you are.

For me, I usually play on Emperor because I can essentially do whatever I want and win all the time. I can play a somewhat tall strategy, play peaceful, build wonders, recruit heroes and not suffer because of it. I barely need to focus on what other civs are doing.

On Immortal, it seems that I need to go to war and take or raze a neighbor's cities. To me, it's Immortal where you need to focus on cranking out/taking as many cities as possible as the main strategy. Or certainly the most viable strategy.

Stringer1313 likes this.
  3. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

I voted immortal. It's still possible to lose a RV on lower levels.

4. PiR

PiR King Supporter

As the AI gets more settlers on Deity, I found a late-start can make Deity even harder, because you have less time to spawn more settlers and compensate for that lack at the beginning.

5. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

What is Diety? Is it some mode where you are restricted on resource intake?

Noble Zarkon, Virdrago and PiR like this.
  6. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

dieting is hard

PiR likes this.
  7. Kotofei

Kotofei Chieftain

This. Civ 6 isn't really "hard" but at some point, you can't just do whatever you want, and have to adapt to your surroundings and the AI. That's where "hard" starts. IMO that's Emperor, but I voted Immortal because that's the first level I personally find challenging.

8. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

As others have said, I play at Emperor because that's where I still have the sandbox elements but the game pushes back a little. I like to play it like a nation-builder sim. I even kind of roleplay a little, playing my nation "in character." At Immortal, I have to start throwing my fastball and playing to win.

So I voted Emperor as the first "difficult" level, because I think that's where I found the game changed the most dramatically.

Kotofei and ShakaKhan like this.
  9. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

How do you make Emperor as hard as possible?

10. Unmitigated Gaul

Unmitigated Gaul Chieftain

I’m not a great player, but Emperor is where I can no longer role play the Civ and need to optimize how I play in an effort to win.

11. Finvola

Finvola Where's my pie?

I'd say Emperor as I think that's when the AI starts getting major advantages over the human player.

12. The Civs 6

The Civs 6 King

I think there are two variations of hardness to consider here. The first comes at like King mode, where you essentially learn that you have to focus on military and expansion really early. This is the level where you learn that Great Bath and Stonehenge just aren't good ideas, that 3 warriors and an archer during that time is just much better value. Once you get past that inflection point it's just a matter of refining the approach (IE whether you should go builder/monument/military).

The second inflection point is where you have to push Civ to its limits. Specifically, you have to push it to its limits in the early and early mid game. This means you just don't go for Machu Picchu, because it's just a waste of shields. The expected value is low. It means you chop and rotate governors to maximize chop value. It means you trade away all your resources to dumb AI's to steal their money. You rush specific techs. I'm thinking of rushing currency in 4, but also something like Apprenticeship for the Germans in 6. You really only have to play this way in Immortal+ IMO.

These are the core civ skills that will serve you well in any civ game. Part of the reason 6 is easier, to me anyway, is because you can also exploit the Civs abilities very heavily. Like if you are Nubia, you don't really need to engage in early game trade-offs: you build Pitati archers and you get cheap districts. Similarly for Kupe, you just settle all the halfway decent sea locations that no one else can get to on turn 50. Like, if you get your early game good enough as Mali and you get a Classical age monumentality golden age, it's literally game over, you shouldn't lose at any level of difficulty. So then the inflection point is sort of walked back, and the question in 6 becomes - do you have good enough core civ skills to survive until your national synergy superpower comes on line? Or if you are Spain/Mapuche/etc. and you don't really have any superpowers, then you might need core civ skills lol.

PiR likes this.