What do you do with your great generals?

I usually settle them or attach them to a single unit. Very often, I attach one to a Caravel to give it big movement bonuses to ensure that I will win the circumnavigation race. Send that Caravel home ASAP after getting the additional +1 movement bonus and you can keep another advantage--a very strong navy and gives you a lvl6 unit for the Epic. Other than that, use them to build War Academies and settle them for the additional +2XP a unit. I've had some cities popping out 17+ XP units--they're a force to be reckoned with, especially when you get fast Blitz promotions.

However Sisi's strategy with using a chariot sounds very appealing (the medic often lags behind).

Another benefit of that (and of the Morale promotion) is the ability to get this extremely valuable unit far out of hot water if necessary. It doesn't happen often--the unit is usually on the same tile as a large, diversified stack--but it has proven handy on a couple of occasions. :hide:

What ever happened to "Hello Kitty"?

I don't know if she ever made the move to BTS. Last I saw her, she was still in the other sub-forums. Maybe she has a RL project to complete.

oh! I forgot to mention that a GG atatched to a privateer is the most fun I've ever had with one.

When my GG's (that are attached to units) grow too great in power, I find a way to get them killed so that they can't return home to the capital in power and effect a coup.

I'm rather paranoid about my position and find myself killing any of my population that grow to become threats.

settle settle settle. i cannot stress that enough!

with 10 or so GG's, barracks, west point, pentagon: 10*2 + 4 +2 +2 =28 exp points!! believe this is amazing for domination and conquest games!

settling a GG is BY FAR more efficient than using him on a single unit. a medic III is useful, but not THAT useful.

for me, the settled GG's makes imperialistic a very strong trait. most people hate it. if u like war, then you really should like imperialistic.

my 2 euro cents.

If you're running a SE, then settling your GG gets you +3 beakers each. A nice little bonus.

I like making a melee unit my super medic. You can then promote to Woodsman III as well as up the Medic line. The healing power of this guy is amazing.

Wodan

settle settle settle. i cannot stress that enough!

with 10 or so GG's, barracks, west point, pentagon: 10*2 + 4 +2 +2 =28 exp points!! believe this is amazing for domination and conquest games!

settling a GG is BY FAR more efficient than using him on a single unit. a medic III is useful, but not THAT useful.

for me, the settled GG's makes imperialistic a very strong trait. most people hate it. if u like war, then you really should like imperialistic.

my 2 euro cents.

It sounds like fun, but I don't know if it's optimal. I'd rather settle the GGs in a few different cities and be able to produce several Level 3 units rather than one city producing a few uber-units.

I would also argue that a medic III unit is hugely useful because of its biggest indirect effect: it speeds up the war because your units recover faster and are able to march on to the next target sooner. This will reduce the amount of war weariness you have to deal with and, thereby, will reduce the impact of the war on your economy and tech progress.

That being said, I still can't help thinking that producing Level 6 units out of the gate would inspire malevolent giggle fits in me every time one appeared. :mwaha: I'll attach a later GG to my best City Raider unit just for the fun of seeing him climbe to Level 10 and beyond. In my next Rome game, once I have my beloved Medic III unit, I may try your idea.

Well, one funny thing to do is to make a paratrooper a super-medic and drop him to the zone and heal everyone :).

Well, one funny thing to do is to make a paratrooper a super-medic and drop him to the zone and heal everyone :).

That would be awesome. And then cry as he gets shot down! :crazyeye:

On a side note, I wish paratroopers could at least attack non-combat units after a drop. I once saw an enemy Great General traveling behind the lines, dropped my paratrooper next to him on my "special-ops mission" and then lamented as I remembered paratroopers can only move one square, but not attack on that move. :blush:

I almost always settle em. I don't build academies nether because in my production city the production is so good I don't need that. Just keep piling on those points. You get level 5 guys instantly and if you combine heroic epic and west point you build an army FROM HELL!!

A lateish game GG (late game being fun due to BTS now) can be used to bolster military production in a 'secondary' military city...

...say you build Heroic Epic and Moi Statues in your first military city, settle some GG's, then later on build West Point and Red Cross in your second military city (probably some commerce city that had more hills than you first noticed), I find a GG can be used to bring the turn production time down quite a bit, hopefully more in line with the first military city.

Hmm. I usually settle all of my GGs. barracks + theocracy + vassalage + pentagon + WP = 13, + any GGs I get * 2. Combine with Charismatic. Laugh evily as 21 xp units come out with 5 free promos. combine with protective. Start Gunpowder units with 7 promotions. That is fun.

I still think attaching one general to a combat unit is a great way to increase your total XP and more generals that spawn. Also its a good way to get one super powerful unit to spearhead your troops. If your smart it should never die.

If your smart it should never die.

I dunno about that... I've lost battles where I've had over 90% chance of winning. I just hate it when my super-swordsman dies attacking a half-health archer in a battle with 90%+ odds. It rarely happens, but when it does, it's painful. That's why I usually use GGs for non-combat units (i.e. medic) or settle them.

I almost always spend my first one creating a "super-medic":

All the XP to one unit, usually someone strong enough not to get mauled alone, but weak enough to never see combat even when the stack is attacked. (This is important for his survivability)

Preferably one with 2 or more moves. (Chariot, and the following units to that.)

Upgrading as follows: Combat I, Medic I, Medic II, Medic III. After that free choice, but leadership (for more xp faster) and retreat/escape feats are nice as a safety-net.

(Getting a unit to this level of healing through combat is very difficult, and more often than not, he chokes on a 98% chance win (or something similar) before he's there.

That way, you will recover from attacking a city in 1-2 turns instead of 4-5 turns, and can march through an opposing empire that much faster.

If/when you get to units with the march-feat, you can just plow on straight away, heal on the move, and save another couple of turns between cities.

The faster you can move on, the fewer units your victim gets to produce, adding even more speed to your conquest.

The rest goes into the cities as instructors / academy.

I can create multiple super medics after settling a couple of GGs.

When my GG's (that are attached to units) grow too great in power, I find a way to get them killed so that they can't return home to the capital in power and effect a coup.

I'm rather paranoid about my position and find myself killing any of my population that grow to become threats.

:D

I know what you mean! If you keep trying you can find what is actually a suicide mission for him that appears to be better than 97.5% odds in his favor... But his pride and ambition will lead him straight into the trap!

I can create multiple super medics after settling a couple of GGs.

I believe, but could be wrong, that only certain promotions are available via attaching a general. I think medic 3 is only obtainable through GG attachment.

Woodsman III / Medic II is the best you can do without a GG.

Which, by the way, is the biggest problem IMO with the scout/explorer medics. Without knocking off a few wounded units here and there, you simply don't get enough XP to get all the way to Woodsman III / Medic III.

Wodan

Top Bottom