What do you do with your money?

Xiao Xiong

Prince
In the early game, what do you use your cash for?

I purchase buildings in my capital, and strategic tile purchases. Generally I will only purchase a tile if it's a river or resource tile and there's a risk that a city state or another civ will expand into that tile before I will.

If I think I might be attacked I might keep enough cash on hand to buy a unit, but I prefer to invest my money than build up a stockpile.

This is the best way to use you're money early on:

Bribe a other Ai in declaring war on a other AI to prevent dowing you

Buying a archer if you got dowed (you can usally know if the AI is gonne dow you early is he close to you yes)

Buying a extra worker(other worker liberty) to improve my land SO i can build that wonder I want

Buying a setler verrry handy city doesn't stop growing :D

And finally buying influence with city state mostly culture or maritime its verry handing at the beginning of the game faster growth or faster social policy(liberty early great person)

Buying some type of production tile is common, say an outlying hill or a forested deer. Purchasing a worker very early is also a good way to spend some cash. I also will often buy a library in the third city if I settle 2 after the capital before building the NC.

Thats the great thing of Gold, it gives you flexibility. I definitely make more Gold oriented empries in Civ 5 than did in Civ 4, Civ 5 isnt so unforgiving even you fall little bit behind in science, but aye, Im only Immortal player. Global happiness helps you focus on cities with lots of gold too so thats good.

Tiles, to max citizen output (production + gold).
CSs, to max growth (maritime for food, culture for tradition).
... yes, I said tradition! (food,combat,gold,happiness,wonders, and a wee monument).
Workers, to improve growth/citizen output.
Settlers, to expand and do it again.

All of the above. It depends on how the game goes and which victory condition I'm trying to achieve. Early game, I prefer to buy resource tiles - particularly sea resource tiles if they're available. Sea resource tiles get several buffs from buildings (Lighthouse, Harbor, Seaport) thus thir priority for purchase.

What do I do with my money?

I use it to pay for Internet access for Steam and to purchase DLC of course!

:p

A worker early on, or an archer if I get in a war, or barbarians keep harassing me.

I like to build wonders in my capital too, so if I can get away with it, I sometimes buy a few buildings there instead of building them.

If you look at the amount of hammers per gold you get, a worker is easily the best purchase in the early game.
At higher levels, an early archer is very useful as well.

A library, production tiles or a cultural city state is decent on some maps/strategies, too.

Ancient Era:

Cost of a library always kept in reserve for my 2nd city.
That will be cash rushed as soon as I have a 2nd city (and the tech) so NC can start the moment I have the tech for that.

Also sometimes I cash rush a Water Mill in that second city as well.

Usually workers or resource tiles. Buying a settler early is very nice if you don't go Liberty. Or even if you do. :)

Haven't thought about early Library purchase to get straight to NC... that's a good bet.

A Settler and / or Warrior, depending on barbs. I open Honor, so I feel safer about sending out an unprotected Settler...

My first 3 Grand go to those CS, that have a luxery, to help boost happiness, as that is the one thing quick growth is limited by.

Early on, I usually buy a horseman because I am acting fast to take out that neighboring state. Or buying an archer because the Aztecs or Greeks are attacking me. I sell excess luxuries to do this.

I don't have enough money early on to bribe CS's. It's easier to gain influence from them by killing off barbarians IMO.

Mid game I make sure I have about 1000 gold at all times, at least, so I can upgrade my army and buy happiness buildings if necessary. Scouts are a good thing to buy mid game if have that policy that gives you one happiness for garrisoned units.

Oh yeah resource tiles are great to buy early on. What is it like 55 gold sometimes? Money well spent to make sure you get a luxury or some horses early on.

Top Bottom