What do you guys expect/want to see for DLC?

TommyVern

Chieftain
What do you guy expect to see and/or would like to see for DLC?

Obviously new civs and mappacks are a must, but what else will there be to purchase and download?

Just looking for some feedback and ideas... thanks.

-TV:scan:

What do you guy expect to see and/or would like to see for DLC?

Obviously new civs and mappacks are a must, but what else will there be to purchase and download?

Just looking for some feedback and ideas... thanks.

-TV:scan:

Are people really going to pay for map packs with a game that can randomly generate terrain?

I can see some folks buying civs (not me).

The only thing I would pay for are new game features.

I don't plan on buying any maps. Though if they're priced reasonably I will probably buy civs, and the same for new features.

I agree with above poster.

Map packs can be made with World-builder
Civs shouldnt be the only DLC
New features would be nice, but it is hard to think of features for Civ that cant be moddded in and that actual adds something to the game

I want the Byzantine under Emperor Heraclius leading might cataphracts into battle.

Thats what I want from DLC. ;)

I'm hoping they don't overdo it on the map packs. Some can be OK, but they're basically a poor man's scenario. Ideally, I'd want one or two Civs or a noticeable addition to the core gameplay. I'll settle for a professional scenario combined with a Civ (and probably featured in it).

Basically, if they include the Inca and Maya, plus a map of Mesoamerica, I'd pay $5. If they included Inca, Maya, and a Mesoamerican scenario (with some kind of actual gameplay changes to go with the Civs being placed in their historic settings), I'd pay $10. If they added the Mongols and maybe a gameplay mode where you can play as Barbarians, I'd pay $10. If they added espionage, units and improvements necessary to make the mechanic work, and perhaps a Cold War scenario, I'd pay $10.

In other words, the possibilities are endless, but they have to be willing to give value.

I'll pay for Civ's or leaders, or or even additional UU's for existing Civ's, but i cannot fathom paying for map packs. random maps are better anyways, imo. the sense of exploration without knowing whats out there is one of my favorite parts of Civ.

Maps also aren't that hard to make and they can be easily made for the same quality.

I won't happen, but I'd hope that the DLC would be for totally unusual mods and scenarios. Main game stuff should be in larger expansions, IMHO.

If I were 2K...

I would release three types of DLC
  • Civilizations
    This is a already confirmed and I think it is a perfectly reasonable idea (with the obvious proviso that the price is also reasonable)
  • Maps and Map scripts
    Maps are already confirmed although I personally wouldn't buy them. Map scripts would be a logical extension to this and I might consider buying one that got good reviews.
  • Era-based expansions
    DLC to add tech, units, buildings, wonders and other simple improvements on an era-specific basic. So, for example, those that are interested in the ancient and classical eras can buy DLC packs that enhance just those eras.
I would also plan on releasing expansion packs that include existing DLC but add new features on a broader level, with people that have bought the DLC getting a credit of some percentage of the DLC cost towards the expansion (should be easy with Steam keeping all the records).
This business model would allow 2K to cater to and make money off those that appreciate DLC thus establishing a more regular and consistent cash flow but also sell expansion packs to those who prefer that method without subsequently alienating those that have invested in the DLC. It would probably also improve the takeup of the DLC if the buyer knew it would have some kind of tradeup value.
For example I would probably buy a good ancient or classical era DLC pack for $3-5. When the first expansion came out that included those DLCs I would get a credit of $1-2 towards it because I had bought the DLC.

Things I would not want to see as DLC:
  • Anything that significantly changes game mechanics.
    I believe ways can be devised to accomodate mods and MP with changes to most assets, but if the core gameplay DLL is changed by DLC that would be a real problem.
  • Individual Units, Techs, Buildings, or Wonders:
    This level of granularity would be a disaster for the cohesion of the Civ community.

I don't foresee myself paying for additional maps...unless maybe Steam does a bundle deal or something. I would probably pay for some quality map scripts though, and will definitely be purchasing civilizations as I've already paid extra for Babylon.

I doubt that they'll include changes to game features/rules as DLC, I'm still of the mind that those will be reserved for expansion packs.

I'd buy civ DLC. I have nothing against maps (though I'd not buy them). But I'm strongly against additional buildings, units, techs, etc. as DLC. Their place is expansion.

Civs: Yes.
Additional Units/Etc: Need NOT to be DLC. I am strongly reminded of the Warpath Campaign for Empire:Total War which was actually more fun than the base game but unable to be played in MP, because they couldn't be sure who had it.

Edit: Thats what I get for posting in the morning before energy drinks.

The only thing I can see them charging for as dlc are map scripts, civs, map packs, and scenarios. If they start making small rule changing add ons as dlc, it will get too complicated, and screw up MP too much, imo.

Better looking rivers? (should they not appear in the day 0 patch)

Or this:

[*]Era-based expansions
DLC to add tech, units, buildings, wonders and other simple improvements on an era-specific basic. So, for example, those that are interested in the ancient and classical eras can buy DLC packs that enhance just those eras.

There's a good opportunity for this kind of thing I think. Civ V: The Ancient World or Civ V: The Silk Road - with enhanced trading mechanics!

I'd buy it.

I'd like to see something really original. all these new civs, new maps, etc are old old old ideas that can be done with some basic modding.

How about something really cool like an expanded concept.... like space race not being the end. How about making it so that domination of the new planet becomes possible. And other earthly civs continue to battle it out on your 'earth' planet and possibly might one day join you.

i know that idea sucks, but its the kind of thing i'd like to see, not just the run of the mill new unit etc.

If I were 2K...

I would release three types of DLC
  • Civilizations
    This is a already confirmed and I think it is a perfectly reasonable idea (with the obvious proviso that the price is also reasonable)
  • Maps and Map scripts
    Maps are already confirmed although I personally wouldn't buy them. Map scripts would be a logical extension to this and I might consider buying one that got good reviews.

• I guess they'll maybe make packs, like the D2D offer suggest.
    e.g. Inca, Maya and an america map, or something like that.

I don't want to see nothing as dlc.

We bought the game, didn't we?

Or did we just buy a bit of the game (and have to keep paying and paying for the rest)?

I already know that I'm going to get annoyed by people talking about civ's which aren't part of the game (e.g. Babylon). Because if they were part of the game I'd get them when I purchased the game, wouldn't I?

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's the way I see it.

What I would like to see are professionally made scenarios and mods, with significant resources devoted to them. Lots of new unit art, new mechanics, totally new design bases like Final Frontier and Afterglow (was that the sf tactical shooter mod's name? I forget) that can serve as a codebase for other mods. If they're getting big money for them, I'd want big value.

What I expect is for them to dribble out more factions and map-packs.

Top Bottom