What do you imagine heaven and hell to be like?

Heaven is full of the sorts of people who go to heaven.

Hell is full of the sorts of people who go to hell.

It is more complicated, but that is the gist of it.

What he said.

Like a mission in California with a woman standing in the doorway.

:goodjob:

I always wondered, what other possible colours can there be? And would our eyes be able to see it anyway?

Naturally we don't have a name for them. :) There are, of course, non-visible wavelengths which I imagine would appear as unique as any color in the visible spectrum. I speak of ultraviolet, gamma, and infrared waves, among others.

------

A major problem I've always had is trying to comprehend what sort of consciousness we could/would have in either place. Would we be aware of the material world? Would we care? Would we have the same desires to learn, to meet new people, or do any of the things we might have while alive? It seems incredibly boring to have a consciousness for eternity; you can only learn so much, only meet so many people, only do so many things. And then there is, of course, the incredible difficulty of wrapping your mind around the idea of forever.

Heaven or Hell = The Future

One's soul = one's Influence that still exists in the future (however slight or indirect)

Don't worry, we're going to heaven.

In hell you wonder around alone, worried, and confused forever.

So you get reincarnated on Earth?

Don't the Europeans have a joke where in Heaven, the Italians are the lovers, the French are the cooks, the Germans are the mechanics, etc, the English are the cops, etc....and in Hell, the English are the cooks, the Germans are the cops, the French are the mechanics, etc?

nonexistant.

Complex?

Heaven and hell don't exist in the classical definition.

I think the square root of -1 is "imaginary."

(though its been awhile since my last math class)

When you are in a state of rapture, you are in heaven. When you lose hope, you are in hell.

What makes you say that?

I was just remembering a part of one of the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" novels, where, after thousands of years of reasearch, a universal translator has been invented and suddenly everyone could understand what everyone else *really* meant and what his *true* motives are. The result was the most devastating conflict in the history of the universe :lol:.
It´s generally just a kind of running gag which denies the notion that good communication always solves problems instead of possibly magnifying them as well.

( I don´t imply that you said so, neither do I think so, I just thought it fit rather well.)

only heaven will crap out dark eyed and dark haired and dark skinned Gentiles becaue Jesus was blue eyed and blonde haired

A major problem I've always had is trying to comprehend what sort of consciousness we could/would have in either place. Would we be aware of the material world? Would we care? Would we have the same desires to learn, to meet new people, or do any of the things we might have while alive? It seems incredibly boring to have a consciousness for eternity; you can only learn so much, only meet so many people, only do so many things. And then there is, of course, the incredible difficulty of wrapping your mind around the idea of forever.

That's why I hope that from heaven I'll be able to "visit" aka, have a lifetime on, different worlds where I wouldn't be aware that I was immortal.

If that is true then perhaps my stay on earth is just one of those visitations.

Heaven- not only will i know the answer to every question...i will BE the answer

Mark Twain said something that I always liked, I paraphrase:

I didn't mind the billions of years before I was born, so why would I mind the billions of years after I die.

I think it is pretty relevant to my views as an atheist.

Top Bottom