What do you prefer ?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Lachlan, Apr 15, 2014.

?

What do you want ?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2014.
  1. Civ Beyond Earth

87 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. New official stuff for Civ 5

16 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    14.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

Civ Beyond Earth

A third Expansion for Civ 5

2. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

CBE of course. Each expansion for Civ 5 makes a mess with the new features. Third one would be a little too much. We already have several types of trade, 3 classes of Great People and so on...

3. Arrowstorm

Arrowstorm Chieftain

With BNW, Civ V is amazing, and I don't feel like there's a need for a third expansion. I'd rather they just worked on Civ VI instead of messing with perfection.

A new AC would be awesome.

4. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Realistically: Civilization: Beyond Earth. It's an exciting title, I want it to be as good as possible, Civ5 is in a good spot and will last me a while.

Dreamland: Both. Though Civ5 is in a good spot, I'd love a DLC, a half-expansion, so to speak, that doesn't necessarily introduces full subsystems (like religion or ideologies), but rounds out a few things. Espionage could be a bit more involved. Port C:BE touted AI improvements to Civ5. Add some scenarios and perhaps a handful of (optional) future units, buildings and technologies as "lead-in" to C:BE. Fix some of the undervalued units, policies etc.

5. Teodosio

Teodosio Warlord

Civilization V is a great game but it is now about four year old. It is pointless to keep patching it up forever. A new game is needed, where new mechanics and gameplay are explored. CivBE is going to be that and I really hope it will turn out as a better game.

6. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Warlord

Civ needs a break.Civ5 is still good,fresh and is very popular.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, if I had to choose, that's what I'd choose, but I wouldn't mind more DLC for Civ5 going at the same time. The art department is unfortunately too busy right now to justify it, though.

8. Silverman6083

Silverman6083 History-Lover

Well I am probably gonna get hate from this...but I'd like to see some more or a new XCOM because that was a great game(even though it is remarkably unforgiving), & recently they have been putting a lot of effort on Civ. Since these are set up to make quite a bit of money for at least a decade, I think they should focus on a different title. But hey, more civ is fine by me :)

9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

CiV already feels bloated to me, which is just as well as the developers seem to be done with it.

Personally I just want CiVI - I'm not interested in Beyond Earth beyond the impact it's obviously going to have on how soon CiVI emerges.

10. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

Interviews about XCOM development said the Firaxis building is divided in half, with quite separate and distinct teams - one does Civ, and by the sound of it nothing but, the other side does other projects; lately, that's been XCOM.

So it's hardly either-or.

11. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Prince

BE, for sure.:)

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I picked other. I think Civ V is on the verge of experiencing feature bloat. I don't think it needs more complications, to steal a term from watch-making. I think it is too soon for Civ VI, and apparently, I was right. I'm not super crazy about BE. I may buy it at the end of the year. So I would have preferred they work on an unrelated title while Civ VI simmers in the pot.

13. FuRRie

FuRRie King

Civ 5 is pretty good at the moment

CBA is a welcome distraction to the normal empire building.

14. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

^This

Civ V doesn't lack features. The things that would make it significantly better would take a huge reworking of the game (better management of 1UPT, better structure to diplomatic/strategic/tactical AI, more robust diplomacy, more modability, etc.) Your'e not going to get those by releasing more content for Civ V. You're going to get that by building something new from the ground up, or at least with a modified framework. Civ V is fun, and while it's not perfect, the flaws that can be covered up by adding more stuff have mostly been addressed. So let's celebrate what it is and look forward to a new opportunity to get things right.

/fingerscrossed

15. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

option D: all of the above!!!! I'd like another x:com expansion too please.

For civ it could be a massive re-balance patch that addresses warmonger penalties, or at least a way to adjust them via slider.

16. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

I prefer Beyond Earth. I see a lot of other members would like additional DLC with new features for Civ 5 but I would not like that for a few reasons.

First is incompatibility in multiplayer, I don't know if they've done anything or not with respect to this (I am not sure if it was Firaxis or Paradox that allowed all players to use whatever DLC the host had; leaning towards Paradox), but the Civ 5 multiplayer community is small enough (having dealt with the bugs that it had to) without being split further.

Second, I don't want Paradox style DLCs in the recent fashion where they add a few new features with a large amount of bugs, fix some of them, make another DLC with more bugs as soon as possible, and so on forever. Even if you don't buy the DLC you get bugs because they come with the DLC patch. It's just a very poor experience. The DLCs add enough for their value that you should buy them, but if you do they don't work properly, and if you don't you still have issues. Thankfully there's an option to roll back to a previous patch but a game studio building a katamari of bugs and not doing anything about it is disturbing to me. We've already had enough issues with Civ 5 and it's development so far as it is.

Thirdly, I don't want them trashing mod capability for DLC. I think they might have tried this in planning the release of Civ 5 but realized that mods have done a huge amount for the game series and in the end people, especially PC gamers, buy games if there are a large amount of mods available for them. They didn't even seem to be sure what to sell for the longest time with their mappacks and civpacks and they eventually plain stopped because what they were selling could be made by the community so it pointless if in the end they were just going to give it away for free. They tried selling mapscripts after BNW which are better (since these were technically using new features which the community didn't have access to yet), but I feel they are more of a testing grounds then anything, and they aren't necessary by any means so I don't think they sold that well. Heck I'm not sure if anyone even heard of it's release outside of Civ fansites, and even if a casual player bought them and played them in game it all looks the same anyhow, so what's the point? A lot of times you want a random map anyways, and you could always make one of your own or ask someone to if you really wanted a randomized continent or country map. In fact a good mapmaker would probably make one more balanced then a randomized script could. Lastly you already have mapscripts available in the community, which means you still run into the problem earlier where if you wait you get stuff for free! It's like some bizarre form of economic deflation. The alternative would be to end mod support but no one wants that.

I think 2K has wisened up to the fact that DLC won't fly very well in these conditions, especially smaller ones. I would be very happy if they differentiated themselves from Paradox, and the rest of the gaming publisher community in this respect. The only problem is that it might cost them some immediate profits, but in the long run, through word of mouth, it will garner them more.

Civilization V is not the fifth most-played game on Steam (behind Team Fortress 2 ahead of Counter Strike) four years after its release by chance. 2K, if you do read this, your policies in allowing it to maintain the old expansion pack model, along with mod support, have made it this way. It is a stable model. The Civilization franchise is successful. None of your other games are anywhere near as popular as Civilization, especially Civilization V. However, your goal is not stability. Your goal is growth. If you want to grow further, don't tamper with what you have done. Don't spoil the quality of the Civilization games. Change those variables which you can around it, change your marketing strategy; you can be number one.

17. Civking5

Civking5 Prince

I voted for civBE. I think civBE for civ5 is like what civcol was for civ4. Something to do for developer to earn some capital while they are gearing up for Thier next big project (civ6).

18. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Since I never got into Civ5, the choice is obvious. :)

19. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

What I'd prefer most is Patches for Civ 5...
    and then civBE,

because expansions always introduce new bugs+imbalances.

It would be good to get Civ5 truly complete (take care of some balance issues and bugs) then move on to something new.

20. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I'd like for Firaxis to try their hand at making a Master of Orion style game, but I'll settle for a new Alpha Centauri.

Not sure there's much they could do (that's worth doing) with more Civ V expansions, especially as regards new civilizations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.