1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you prefer ?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Lachlan, Apr 15, 2014.

?

What do you want ?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2014.
  1. Civ Beyond Earth

87 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. New official stuff for Civ 5

16 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    14.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traejun

Traejun Warlord

Voted C:BE

Civ V has gotten a little stale, even with BNW. It's a fine game, but never gave me the same feeling of awe as some of the previous iterations.

2. nakori

nakori Chieftain

CivBE gets my vote. Still room for some minor patches for Civ5 though :)

3. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I'd say there's room for major patches for Civ5. But I don't think there's anyone working on it anymore.

4. Potenzo

Potenzo Chieftain

This.

People think that we're getting a new SMAC. I hope we are. But I fear we might be getting a new Colonisation.

Civ:BE, and in particular the relatively short time between announcement and release, makes me worry that we're in a stop-gap phase because Firaxis don't have any ideas that would justify a Civ:6. So they're going to play with a few experimental ideas in something that will not do too much damage to the franchise. Built on the existing engine for Civ5, to keep costs down, just like Colonisation was on the engine for Civ4.

If I'm right about that, I'd prefer more XCOM. There's tons of untapped potential there.
    XCOM:EW was fantastic, and fixed the biggest flaw in XCOM:EU (the terribly short supply of maps), but more expansions or DLC for XCOM could make it much better. For a start, I'd really like to see XCOM maps that felt like they were set in the country/continent they claim to be, instead of all the urban maps feeling like small-town USA.

Also while EW certainly changed how you played the campaign, it was still very much the same campaign. A new XCOM expansion could be more different. For example by adding a strategic map with multiple bases, alien bases when countries are lost, and strategic choices about which countries to sacrifice based on location and reinforcement, not just on continent bonuses.

5. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

It's not that short, to be honest. Look at XCOM, it was announced January 2012 and came out October 2012, that's about nine months. It turned out fine.

With this? If it comes out in Autumn, let's say November, it's seven months. Firaxis tends to announce late and only fairly mature projects - and given this already has an engine (shaving off a few months initial work), I wouldn't worry too much.

6. Arrowstorm

Arrowstorm Chieftain

The people who make XCOM are not the same people who make Civilization. They've got two teams, a Civ team and an Everything Else team.

Also, I keep seeing people comment on the fact that it's build on Civ 5, but as far as I know, Alpha Centauri was also build on Civ 2.

7. ArguCa

ArguCa Prince

Voted BE.

Civ V -with BNW- is a fantastic game. Actually, a few more factions would be cool. But, as a 'Terra Nova' fan, I would love to play BE.

8. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

Some of the people who worked on XCOM are working on this as well.

9. Arrowstorm

Arrowstorm Chieftain

Sure, but game designers move to new projects, even to new studios, all the time. It doesn't mean that there isn't a team right now doing XCOM related stuff or doing something else.

10. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

Two separate teams doesn't preclude people moving between teams.

11. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

Nice intermediate result of my pool :)

73 percent for new CivBE

19 percent with mixed answer

8 percent preferring to stay on Civ 5

12. Santa Maria

Santa Maria Warlord

I am staying with civ5.

I dont want BE, I'd rather see something for civ5. I feel it's incomplete. Don't know why the majority wants something new. Seems they think civ5 is complete, but the possibilities are endless to develop and tune civ5.

I am very sceptical about BE.

13. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

Judging from the past, I think CBE will be a standalone but uses many resources from CiV. An example is the CIV Colonization. It's a standalone but most features are from CIV.

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

(I'm responding to Potenzo not because I want to single him out or anything, but because my two thoughts bounce most directly off his post.)

The game developers for Colonization, up front, said something like they had a third old material, a third re-implemented/re-imagined, and a third completely new. We knew it wasn't going to be old Colonization with a new paint job up front.

I remember the big complaints on Civ4: Colonization were faulty balance with the royal expeditionary forces on release and a complete lack of a foreign intervention during the war for independence. It was okay and even good that they were changing how specific mechanics worked (i.e. pioneers use money to build tile improvements rather than exhaust their tools), but given the objectives of the game screwing up the revolution was a big mistake.

I don't understand why posters on this forum think this is a bad thing. Many game developers, especially strategy game developers, use the same engine to produce multiple games. The AGE in AGEOD literally stands for "Adaptive Game Engine" and I own (I think) 6 games built on it. Paradox basically makes one Europa Universalis game engine and then pumps out several period-specific variations on it (Crusader Kings for the medieval period, Victoria for the industrial revolution, Hearts of Iron for WW2, etc.). Arrowstorm points out the connection between Civ2 and SMAC, and there are countless others.

EDIT:
    Can a game ever be complete? Can't you always tweak it further?

15. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I agree in that CiV is in a good place and I'm glad Firaxis is moving on. I'm very excited about CivBE but I'm worried as well that it will be a standalone product. It sounds like Civ but different enough to be fresh and exciting. I can't see Civ VI the same way because I know it will be the same formula; start as caveman and end at future tech. So my biggest worry is that 4 years from now, we won't be seeing new patches to CivBE. I dont want to be addicted to a Civ game that isn't being updated for years to come, if that makes sense.

16. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I listened to an interesting interview of Jake Solomon the other day (including some civ-related discussion, given his work on Civ3 and CivRev), and he noted that you never complete a game, you just abandon it, and the trick is abandoning it at the right time; he said there's always a tension between the developers wanting to do more, and their bosses wanting to be able to sell products, but that without that tension, there'd never be any pressure to focus on what really needs work.

17. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Beyond Earth. Firaxis hasn't done a whole lot other than Civilization for a long time, and while this is related, it's enough different that it's a breath of fresh air. I'm skeptical of the mechanics since it's obviously based on Civ5, but it has me interested, whereas a Civ5 expansion to someone who isn't a Civ5 fan like myself wouldn't be very interesting at all. I didn't really follow BNW development at all, whereas I'll probably be following this at least for the next few significant updates.

18. sendos

sendos Immortal

Pretty much this.

19. CanaDutch

CanaDutch Chieftain

Civ5 just needs more balance patches, such as making Honor and perhaps Piety starters more viable, nerfing the National College and make lesser civs more competitive (especially for playing on Deity). Sid Meier said 'he'd fix the game if there's a best strategy', so I think these changes are in order.

Mostly I'd like to see far better AI as even with BNW I feel the AI of Advance Wars on the Gameboy Advance was smarter. The best Civilization experience I've had was playing Civilization 4 fighting an uphill battle for world domination out of Africa while playing with K-Mod, a truly brilliant AI mod.

I'm excited about Beyond Earth as it's much more novel than another expansion of Civilization 5 and I hope they'll manage to achieve balanced gameplay from the start with better AI.

20. Willem

Willem Deity

Likewise. Though based on what I've read about Civ 5, I'm not even sure if I want CBE. I'll be waiting to see what the overall reactions are before I decide to buy it or not.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. They may have held off on the announcement until they were in the polishing up phase. They could have been working on the game for awhile now. It's not at all uncommon for game companies to do it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.