What do you think about a 'CIV competition'?

What do you think about a 'CIV competition'?

• I would definitely participate!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I might try it...

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I'd like to see others posting their games, but wouldn't join in.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Neh, not for me.

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Bangau

Prince
Hi all,

I recently posted an idea I have about a fun and easy way to compete in playing Civilization. Posted it in the ‘ideas’ section of the forum, but get the feeling that doesn’t generate a lot of traffic... Still think it would be a fun thing to do and am very curious to hear if there are others who would think so too.
___
So what’s the idea?

We create a new subsection in the forum called ‘CIV Fanatics Competition’ (or whatever name the moderators of this forum come up with ). If you post a new thread in this part of the forum it is a new ‘competition’.
___
For example:

I like to do a domination victory on deity as fast as possible and create a new post ‘fastest deity domination’. I specify the conditions for the competition: [map size: any], [difficulty: deity], [mods: UI only], [etc. etc.]. In the first post I keep the ‘top 10’ (starts empty off course…). I post it.

Any of you sees the new competition and thinks: I’m awesome at fast domination and takes a recent game (of which you have saves and screenshots) or plays a new one and makes a reply: “I claim first place with this game: 98 turns victory with Hungary!” And posts info about how he/she played and some saves and screenshots to prove it’s a real victory and matches the conditions (much like the GOTM). The original poster (or a moderator) checks the win and grants the player a ranking (first for now…) in the ‘top 10’.

Then someone else comes along, plays and posts a game and bam a 89 turns victory with Gilgamesh. Same drill and he/she claims first place.

___

As is clear from reading this forum there are many ways to enjoy the game. Going for speed and efficiency is popular, but others may prefer getting a huge empire with bizarre production. Why not start a competition for ‘most productive empire ever’. Others are into historically accuracy: start a competition ‘most wonders in the correct country (or even city) in a game’!

For me, the fun would be in many things:

- Seeing all kinds of (new) ways to enjoy the game

- Being challenged to improve your play-style

- Learning from others by seeing how they manage to do things you didn’t even know could be done

- Make the game a bit more challenging by adding a bit of competition

- After a while the competition forum would be filled with examples of the best and most fun ways to play civ, and there would be many examples of 'how to...' for anyone to watch, read and learn from

___

I’d love to hear from you whether you think this would be fun to do or not. And if enough people would like to try it, I’d love to hear from any of the moderators if it’s possible to open up a dedicated section for this. Not much is needed: if there's a section for this, anyone can start the competition!

Thinking 'I can't be the first to think about something like this' I was searching the forums and stumbled on some posts in the Hall of Fame section of the forum. I'd seen it before, but there were mostly questions pre GS about the in-game Hall of Fame (well: the lack of an in-game hall of fame). And no-one has posted in there for over a year so I never gave it a second glance. Now I'm seeing some old posts that make me think that it was originally meant for something very similar to what I have in mind. Anyone who has been around for a long time know what the story is of the 'Hall of Fame' section of the forum? Maybe we can re-animate that section? :)

There is a Civ6 Game of the Month.

We also have a Hall of Fame section that is not being used due to the lack of a save parser. Come on Firaxis and release the game .dll code. Please... :please:

Seen it, played it, loved it. The GOTM is cool, but what I'm suggesting is something else, people posting their fastest, coolest, most original games in the spirit of a friendly competition. The HoF section looks something like it, but just a little different ('show us your best games'), but could be used for what I'm thinking about.

Can you explain how the lack of a save parser means we can't use the Hall of Fame? What exactly could we do if we had the save parser? Appreciate it.

As a history nerd who likes designing civ and wonder ideas, I would like a design competition with real prizes. Actually, it’s a bit weird that Firaxis hasn’t had a contest with prizes before.

Can you explain how the lack of a save parser means we can't use the Hall of Fame? What exactly could we do if we had the save parser? Appreciate it.
Parser extracts game details (so games can be accurately categorized), detects use of mods and, most important for a competition, reveals whether the map was reused or the game was reloaded.

Parser extracts game details (so games can be accurately categorized), detects use of mods and, most important for a competition, reveals whether the map was reused or the game was reloaded.
I see, sort of like doping control for gaming. In your experience, do people tend to cheat in a just-for-fun competition like 'fastest victory'? Have been watching the GOTM games and don't get the feeling that there are people out there trying to show off their amazing skills to the world by cheating. (Some people are just so good at this game, and that's what I'd love to see more off!)

Moderators, would you mind if I try to do the kind of competition thread I have in mind in the HoF section? Even if we know people could cheat? ;-) I'm wondering if we'll see many participants, not many people have voted yet... but it'll be fun nonetheless.:lol:

Please contact @Noble Zarkon or @Ozbenno about using The Hall of Fame forum.

edit - This forum is not an appropriate place for a planning discussion.

Top Bottom