What do you think about "positive racism"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitro

Feistus Raclettus
I mean things such as:

"Asians are better at math."

"Blacks are more well-endowed than other men."

"The Germans have a better work ethic than others."

Why is that allright in everyday conversations, movies and even serious articles while negative racism is (I'd say rightfully) shunned?

It's a nice sentiment but I'm pretty sure math was my worst subject. ;)

Than I'm black!:lol:
Just kidding, I think negative racism is malicious and stupid, and positive racism is just stupid.

Just kidding, I think negative racism is malicious and stupid, and positive racism is just stupid.
Yeah, pretty much my view as well. Nevertheless it seems fine to say "Asians are better at math" but it would be outrageous to say "Europeans are better at math".

And for the wiseasses, "that's because one is true and the other is not" is not a witty reply to that. :p

That's not racism. It's moronic stereotyping.

Example: Reggie White (now dead ex-NFL player turned preacher):

HOMOSEXUALITY IS a sin, and the plight of gays and lesbians should not be compared to that of blacks, White told lawmakers.

"Homosexuality is a decision, it's not a race," White said. "People from all different ethnic backgrounds live in this lifestyle. But people from all different ethnic backgrounds also are liars and cheaters and malicious and back-stabbing."

White said he has thought about why God created different races. Each race has certain gifts, he said.

Blacks are gifted at worship and celebration, White said.

"If you go to a black church, you see people jumping up and down because they really get into it," he said.

Whites are good at organization, White said.

"You guys do a good job of building businesses and things of that nature, and you know how to tap into money," he said.

"Hispanics were gifted in family structure, and you can see a Hispanic person, and they can put 20, 30 people in one home."

THE JAPANESE AND other Asians are inventive, and "can turn a television into a watch," White said.

Indians are gifted in spirituality, he said.
http://www.skeptictank.org/white.htm

"Asians are better at math."

Generally true.

"Blacks are more well-endowed than other men."

Generally untrue. White Europeans, on average, have the largest penis sizes.

"The Germans have a better work ethic than others."

Who are the others? Certainly not the Japanese.

Why is that allright in everyday conversations, movies and even serious articles while negative racism is (I'd say rightfully) shunned?

Sometimes it is alright, sometimes it isn't. The statement, "White people are better than everyone else", is a positive statement toward white people, but most people would react negatively. It depends on what you're saying.

The fact is that most people are just plain ignorant, so they don't think about things in depth, examine the facts behind the claim, nor is their thinking very consistent.

Observing tendencies is different to racism, which is applying these tendencies and stereotypes to entire groups, particularly individuals. you've just gotta be careful you're saying something tactful and accurate, not a stupid stereotype.

"Asians tend to be better at school" isn't racist. It's a testable observation with any number of explanations (culture, random chance, the quality of schools that Asians attend, economic factors, etc). However, "you're Asian, therefore you are good at school" or "should be good at school" or "I'm going to assume you're good at school" is a racist attitude.

"There is a higher crime rate amongst blacks" isn't racist. Again, testable observation with any number of explanations (although the "it's because blacks are inherently violent or prone to criminality" is pretty racist as well as being . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .). However, "he's black, therefore he is a criminal" is.

Hitro: "Whites tend to have proportionally greater upper body strength" is an example of a pro-white racial observation which is true, not racist, and not controversial. So is "whites tend to be richer on average." Cut the persecution complex crap. It's ugly, and white dudes are NOT a marginalised freaking minroity.

I wish I got more Brazilian magic powers. I play soccer and dance like an American...the only one I got was percussive ability.

I wish I got more Brazilian magic powers. I play soccer and dance like an American...the only one I got was percussive ability.

Yeah, but the Brazilians have some of the hottest chicks in the entire freaking world, both real and imagined.

Well, those stereotypes are often true, in that they indicate a tendency. Many Asian societies tend to put very high value on academics and hard work, so Asians are generally perceived as smart. But then again, a number of young Asian males are into customizing their "rice rocket" cars. That doesn't mean that every young Asian male has a 4.0 GPA and a rice rocket.
The danger in stereotypes comes when every person in that category is compared against the stereotype, and expected to be like that stereotype. That's just plain unhealthy. Diversity is strength - both in the world at large, and within a given group of people - and should be encouraged.

Any truth in these generalizations reflects a cultural difference, not a racial one.

Any truth in these generalizations reflects a cultural difference, not a racial one.

Penis size is a cultural difference? :lol:

Perhaps it's time for a poll on that. I suppose it would have to be anonymous, to prevent lying.

:lol:

Penis size is a cultural difference? :lol:
of course, in the US 8 is a lot, while it certainly isn't in europe...though that might have to do with different units :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom