What do you think about the icon of Spain?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by El Castellano, Sep 7, 2016.

?

What do you think about the icon of Spain?

Poll closed Oct 7, 2016.
  1. I love it, if Spain should be defined in three words would be: Bulls, Paella and Olé

29 vote(s)
    14.2%
  2. I do not mind it.

64 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. I do not mind it, but I would have preferred a historical icon.

71 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. I do not like it, it is a touristic and Modern icon, it should not represent to Spain.

40 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

Not the smartest choice, but understandable.

The castle icon proposed by shyPiano would be preferable for many reasons.

2. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Just thinking out loud, but could it be a placeholder for Spain, while the icon is meant for Sumeria?

3. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

Four symbols of Spain better than the bull:

1. The cross of burgundy: 1st flag of the Spanish empire in use during 1506-1785 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Burgundy):
    Spoiler :

2. The castle: symbol of the hegemonic founder kingdom of Spain, Castile (https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heráldica_de_Castilla):
    Spoiler :

3. The cross of Santiago: patron of Spain and symbol of the Spanish Order of Santiago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Santiago):
    Spoiler :

4. The galleon: symbol of the Spanish colonial empire (https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galeón):
    Spoiler :

4. SebNeg

SebNeg Chieftain

5. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

The castle and galleon are too complex for a small icon. The Cross of Santiago is good, but I don't see why it's better than the Bull. Bull is much more recognizable.

6. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

voted "I do not mind it, but I would have preferred a historical icon."
    The cross of Burgundy won't make it, it's not unique enough. The castle would be sufficient...

7. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

Stealth_nsk, any graphic designer can creat a small icon of a Castle or Galleon that is easily recognizable. Shypiano proposed a castle icon that works perfectly well.

I really don't want to enter in details here. Let's just say Bullfighting is a touchy subject in Spain, and Bulls have never been used as symbol of the Spanish empire, goverment or royalty.

8. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

England wears a crown as a symbol. If Spain used the cross of burgundy (the cross, not the flag) as a symbol in civ 6 there would be no confusion between the two civs.

9. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

I checked civwiki and funny enough - Spain didn't seem to be a player in civ 1, and icons first appeared in Civ4 - I was surprised...
    Civ4 and colonization was this:

Civ 5 as we might still remember:

not a gamebreaker, though. As is the german iron cross *yawn*

10. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I don't mind it. I can see that it might not be the ideal choice. However, it is just a tiny icon and I really don't think it matters very much.

If the choice had been down to me, though, I'd have gone for the Cross of Santiago as it's very in keeping with the ultra-religious Spain we have in the game. As they've used the symbol in the past, I can only think they're planning to use a cross for another Civ - probably not a vanilla one we haven't yet seen (unless we're getting a Russian Orthodox cross) - or they wanted to avoid religious symbols altogether in their bid for greater visual clarity (perhaps they're concerned people would confuse the icons with religion icons). We will see if Arabia get a crescent moon or not...

11. LastSword

LastSword Prince

I hope it is a joke and is already fixed with proper icon.

Another joke is Philip II looking like a Mexican. Seems like devs are stereotypical amurican with neither taste, education nor imagination? I can imagine they thought process, what we know about Spain? "Mexicans speak Spanish! Let's do it." Though I am afraid that this game is designed/stylized for younger audience.

But seriously, bull? I would guess Minoans, I would probably not even come up with Spain.

12. anandus

anandus Errorist

Why does Philip II "look Mexican"?
    To me he looks as Spanish as can be? The beard & the moustache (I expect the same for William when the Dutch are introduced), the cuirass, the saber, the puffy shoulders.
    The only thing that might make hime more Spanish is the addition of a ruff (in Dutch called a 'Spanish collar', by the way :) )

13. shyPiano

shyPiano Prince

Where did you get this idea? :confused:
    In fact, when Spain was announced, everyone was joking about his Habsburg Jaw, a common feature in the Spanish royal family due to inbreeding.

I don't see how Phillip II looks Mexican in any way.

14. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

maybe mexicans look spanish?

15. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

I sometimes wonder if you go out of your way to generate controversy in every thread or this is something that you provoke without even trying.

Maybe you are trying to be funny here? Hard to tell, really.

In any case, Philipp II looks perfectly good to me.

16. Ikael

Ikael King

It is lame as hell, but I think that most icons in the game are placeholders (see also: Bizarre photos of great works of art).

17. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

I like how they have designed him and I do not know what you mean with that looks like a Mexican.

18. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

definitely he has the best model and animation so far
    resembles my favourite actor, ron perlman

i meant ~40% mexicans are of spanish descent and mexican culture is based on spanish isnt it

19. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Especially with the strong HRE alignment this time around, I'm surprised they didn't go for the imperial eagle, given it's presence in heraldry past (the double-headed eagle) and present (the federal eagle aka Fat Hen).

Nevertheless, the Iron Cross is at least an actual part of the German history (military and war flag) while the bull is more of a popular symbol than anything else.

20. LastSword

LastSword Prince

It indicates how the majority on web, aka "everyone", functions. They focused on one exaggerated detail, that's how human brain works. :)

The moment I looked at the leaderscene I got the Mexican feeling from him, nose-eyes-mouth, it was strangely familiar with certain Mexican actor, but what is more important it was a clear unmatch with Philip II's portrait.
    Anyone, some time ago I decided to use civ6 Philip as leaderscene in civ5, only adjusting it to the art style (wasn't even modelling it on portrait). Well, the effect made me wonder how epic could Philip in civ 6 look... Because, I believe that my edited version is maybe not a Philip II, but more "spanish Philip II" than civ6 version, which as I stated is "mexican Philip II".
    And note that I made it for civ5, so no epic Jaw for everybody, but it should give you some help in imagining how good Philip II could be made in civ6.

I added portraits and the mexican actor photo I was recognizing. Warning: it may ruin your experience.
    Spoiler :

Habsburgs are not even Spanish in first place, so try connect them with Mexicans. Glad to be on internet. :)

Yes, I was thinking about Ron Perlman as well, but it seems they were more into Luis Guzmán. About animations, well, it is about personal taste.