What do you think about the icon of Spain?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by El Castellano, Sep 7, 2016.

?

What do you think about the icon of Spain?

Poll closed Oct 7, 2016.
  1. I love it, if Spain should be defined in three words would be: Bulls, Paella and Olé

29 vote(s)
    14.2%
  2. I do not mind it.

64 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. I do not mind it, but I would have preferred a historical icon.

71 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. I do not like it, it is a touristic and Modern icon, it should not represent to Spain.

40 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

What do you think if we leave the discussion of what that looks like or not to Felipe II, and we return to the topic of the thread?

2. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

Sorry Killmeplease, I have no intention of diving into such a topic.

I'm afraid you are trying too hard to push your argument here LastSword, comparing a caricature with a photo and a painting seems futile at best. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here anyway.

Both Elcastellano and myslef are Spaniards, and we see no problem whatsoever with Philipp II model.

Agreed :thumbsup:

3. LastSword

LastSword Prince

Well, I was only asked why I see Mexican there, so I don't understand your reaction. Nose, mouth, ears, eyes - looks like taken from this actor for me. There's no argument there. Chill down, please. I am not accomplishing anything, just explaining my point of view.

I don't care if Spaniards are ok with the leaderscene, I only pointed out why I dislike it.

That's it. Continue your topic.

4. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Meh, I'd also wish Germany was Black/Gold with the imperial eagle or something, but what can one do. ^^"

5. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

Well, I hope that Ed and his team end up reconsidering the icon and change it by one more suitable, as they did with teddy and his dewlap.

6. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

7. anandus

anandus Errorist

After the arguments in Civ5 over which country has the right to have an eagle (Poland! Austria! Russia! Germany! The Byzantines! Napoleon!), I can imagine they're skippings eagles altogether this iteration :p

8. ThisNameIsTooLo

ThisNameIsTooLo Emotion Lord

It's an udder cow-tastrophe, is what it is.

9. benjamin28

benjamin28 Warlord

Aren't we all sure that icon is one of the new religious "neutral" icons (astrological signs) and things got misplaced in this build?

10. Sonmi

Sonmi Chieftain

The rooster is not modern though, it's older than France itself.

Gaul is said to be named Gaul by the Romans because of the local population possessing an surprising amount of poultry, Gaul being supposedly derived from the Latin Galli and all. The bird was then repeatedly associated with the French by their enemies and rivals, and was eventually embraced by the French themselves.

While I do think it would be more accurate to give it to the Gauls if they are ever added as a Civ, I honestly wouldn't mind France being represented by a Gallic rooster. It's a refreshing choice of a heraldic animal, especially considering the over-abundance of lions, bears, dragons, and ESPECIALLY eagles.

11. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

I'm 100% sure this is the icon of Spain in the livestream of yesterday.

12. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Indeed. They need to take the bull by the horns and settle this once and for all. ;)

Incidentally, I don't have a problem with the bull. Spain, strong like bull! has a certain ring to it. :D

13. AliasMittens

AliasMittens Chieftain

Okay. ;)

14. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

For someone that knows at least a little about their history, or cares about it, the symbol is just a representation of blatant ignorance.

It would be like using an egg for the American symbol, because their most popular sport is played with the hands and an egg... or using a stick for the Canadian symbol... yes, exactly, completely ignorant.

I can understand some (many?) of them feeling a little offended, especially given their rich history from which meaningful symbols are very easy to grab.

Someone argued that the bull is a Celtic-Iberian icon, which is true, but they are not adding the Celtiberians to Civ 6, they are adding the Spanish Empire. Thus, argument even if true is still invalid.

15. Adder

Adder Chieftain

Guess we're Borgias now?

Spoiler :

16. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

At first I thought, "that is ONE stupid looking bull right there", but then I noticed the leafs that the bull is chewing, and man, it hit me.

The bull is high from all that hemp chewing.

17. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

It would seem that separatists seem to identify the bull with Spain proper:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_bull

Now, while it is a fairly recent thing, people who bash modernity and claim that everything that is new is bad and corrupt are obviously wrong.

http://www.enforex.com/culture/osborne-bull-catalan-donkey.html

Let's see here. A Spanish website promoting Spanish culture.

Interesting that a Spanish website promoting Spanish culture would choose the bull primarily as a symbol of Spain. ;)

18. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

All those sources are valid, and so are their opinions. First and foremost, the list does not say anything about priorities, so the bull being in first place means exactly nothing. But yes, the bull is part of the culture, nobody is arguing against that, but using it as the symbol of the Spanish Empire that is supposed to be portrayed in civ 6 is wrong. They are not symbolizing Spanish (popular?) culture, they are symbolizing the Spanish Empire.

Nevertheless, I am not a Spaniard, although I have 25% of them, and a part of their culture indirectly, so I will leave it to them to argue for/against this issue. I just can see where Castellano is coming from, and sympathize with him.

19. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Well yeah, but at least it originates from within the Iberian peninsula. Unlike the ragged cross.

20. Liex

Liex King

I didn't like Brazil's icon, but now I guess I should be happy it's not a soccer ball or a carnival mask.