What do you think are the best Military tactics?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by norman1994civ5, Oct 1, 2012.

1. mice

mice Moose

The big difference from Civ 4 is there is no war weariness, so regrouping and defending are powerful tactics. As said, use terrain , heal , let them come to you until you're ready to slam them.

2. mitsukaikira

mitsukaikira Chieftain

"What do you think are the best Military tactics?"

Know your enemy.

3. EasyGoin

EasyGoin Chieftain

For not losing melee troops in G&K, I've developed a bit of a rotation system. The computer in G&K now focus fires (typically) one unit per round. The goal is to have enough melees unit to run a "triangle," "square," or "pentagon" rotation with 2 units up front and the rest in the back healing.

Early in the game if you are Composite Bowman rushing it will only take about 2 turns to kill a city's health, so you need 3 melee unless they're unusually strong (Hoplite) or enemy D is weak.

The trick is to rush 2 of the melee into position with the third trailing. The city will typically focus down one of the melee. When he's one turn from death, rotate him 2 moves back, slide the other front melee unit over to take his place, and then replace the vacancy with your trailing unit. With 2 fresh units up front, the third can run to the back and heal a few ticks. With 4 units, you can run a square, giving each unit more time to heal.

The result is a clockwise or counter-clockwise movement that rotates near death units out of danger

4. Formoor

Formoor Chieftain

The best :
    2-3 ranged units leveled from the start, one with max rough terrain bonus other with open terrain + 1 extra attack + 1 extra range
    2 melee units (one pikemen like) with reduced damage from range

With that you will own everything there is in game, you can be even behind in tech with those units.

For atacking cities just stay 1 hex away from its defenses and attack with your +range archers (if you have 3x +range +2nd attack = that's 6 archers attacking the city)
    Jut wait till the defenceses are none and take it with your melee. (honor policy helps to speed the process, also the chinease have 2 attacks on their UU)

5. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Interesting, but what do you do if your severely outnumbered?

Spoiler :

Three on One, isn't war hell? I think Captain Kirk was wrong when he said there is no such thing as a no win situation. :lol:

6. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

get some more ground units? Germany is a land power, their UA practically screams for huge sprawling armies

7. mintcandy

mintcandy King

Ranged units are the great equalizer, although both of those pictures depict situations that are far more uphill than I am used to.

Maybe something changed in Gods and Kings, but why did the German player in the first picture conquer a City State? Am I missing something?

8. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

This is a WW1 scenario, but my history of that time isn't too brushed up as to whether its Russian, German or Austrian.

And if it was independent CS, sounds like it didn't thanks to that red neighbor to the south.;)

e: looking back at the shots some more: take that city with the 10 airstacks. Quickly. Warsaw might be a lost cause, but with that handful of artillery and GWs, with a Bomber or fighter support, you should be able to quickly blitz Munich. Take out the airstacks, and you could take the wind out of Maria Theresa.

Then start massing for Vienna - get some more Gatlings and meatshields (and artillery if they have been depleted by bombings), kill those Austrian units coming towards you, and then push for Vienna.

9. mintcandy

mintcandy King

Ah, scenarios. The other great equalizer! :D

10. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Warsaw is a German city in this scenario. That's how the original scenario was, but Warsaw at this time was under Russian rule. So, I will change that in my version of the scenario.

I do remember in my CiIV vanilla WWI mod, Russia did have Warsaw. I played as Russia in that scenario and was quickly surrounded by the Germans and had to retreat. Actually it was in my best interest to retreat. I'd fortify to the east of the city among a line of forests. Later, I usually could take Warsaw back, after defeating the Austrians in prolonged battles for Lemberg and Przemysl. I always wanted to recreate the mod for BTS, but never did. The map is well done. I plan on downloading CiIV on my pc and recreating the map for CiV.

"On 1 August 1915 the German army entered Warsaw. The Russians, while retreating, demolished all of the Warsovian bridges – along with the Poniatowski Bridge, opened 18 months earlier – and took with themselves the equipment of the factories, what made the situation in Warsaw much more difficult." I find it interesting that they took control of the means of production before communism. :lol:

11. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I'll usually clear out their troops using my infantry and a few ranged units, cycling my infantry in and out of battle to heal. I'll set up my siege units behind them and take occasional potshots with the them but since G&K came out they're pretty weak against units but the exp is worth it since artillery with logistics can be amazingly strong.

I've found that the cover and medic promotions are invaluable for my infantry units. Before artillery I'll move my infantry in first and fortify them for sieges. Once the AI focuses on the infantry you can move your siege units in to wear down the city. Occasionally if the city has high defense I'll lose one or two infantry but more often than not I won't lose a single unit during a siege.

After artillery I'll switch to cavalry and armored units along with gatling/machine guns to protect my siege units and take the city. I'll still use infantry some but they're mostly legacy units that I've had a long time. Infantry becomes less of a necessity when you can shoot from 3 tiles away.

12. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Thanks for the tips. In that game, one major issue I had was lack of air defenses. I did not have enough fighters or AA guns to stop their bombers. The Austrians, French, and British, wer bombing me each turn. Anything in the open, not in a city was decimated.

Earlier in the game, I should have completely broke the Russians. I had a chance too. Instead, I foolishly made peace. Another mistake I made was to invade the Netherlands to save my allied CS Brussels, who was under attack by Britain. Really that was a costly diplomatic era. Everyone began denouncing me. They had the nerve to call me a warmongering menace to the world. :lol: Still keeping Brussels did help me gain some momentum against the Brits. I began to gain air superiority over England. When I had them where I wanted them, everyone else ganged up on me. I'll rethink my strategy next game. :)

13. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Ah yeah I almost forgot about air defense. Usually I'll build a few fighters to protect my homefront and then have a couple AA guns with my invasion force. It's amazing how effective only a couple AA guns can be since the AI aren't usually very good at stacking a lot of units in one place. Once you get enough bombers you can almost stop using artillery altogether but usually by then I'll have at least a few artillery with logistics and range that just crush cities so easily I rarely need many bombers. I might be wierd but if I'm short on oil I'll usually go for tanks instead since they can protect the artillery out of range of the city defense then when the city is worn down completely it can move in and take it. Tactics change so much once artillery and air units are introduced.

14. Limp

Limp Chieftain

I'm no civ expert but here's one good tip I've picked up in my experience.

Maybe it's obvious, and I guess it's cruel, but I like to camp outside cities when the war is all but over just to soak up some delicious xp points, especially for ranged units. Don't rush it if you don't have to. Keep them there for 50 turns :lol: Picking a fight with a city state an doing this in the early game is a great way to give your army the edge with promotions. But be careful not to do it too often to CS or your reputation will damage you!

Also, re bombers, if the game gets that far lol, they negate the need for pretty much anything else imo. With 4 promotions they can attack twice a turn and repair themselves as well! And if we're talking stealth, oh dear for anyone else on your map.