1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think is on the Horizon for 2020?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Larsenex, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Larsenex

Larsenex King

This post is really for Eagle. He always seems to know what is 'around the corner' for Civ.

Will we get another expansion?

Will there be a new game announced?

What do you expect or would like moving forward?

Personally I think our game is great. Can it be better? Yes.

Not sure if we are going to get a 'version 7' or not. I do miss the very old versions which are not in the Civ Series > Call to Power and Call to Power 2.

I just liked the movement and the various units you got late game.

Haig, CivLuvah and Hawke9 like this.
  2. Z6E1Z9O

Z6E1Z9O Chieftain

Its either a spin off or a third expansion, i dont think they are gonna release civ 7 that soon.

i hope that they release a third expansion tho, this game has so much potential, especially in the economics area.

3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

I strongly suspect that Amplitude's Humankind historical game is going to require some kind of response from Firaxis before the end of the year: an Expansion or a major DLC, but I agree that Civ VII is not likely.

For one thing, rushing a game as complex as Civ onto the market could result in the biggest pratfall in gaming history, and Firaxis already has a dubious track record when it comes to getting games out that are playable right out of the gate.

One possibility would be a really, really good new scenario pack.
    So far they've given us:
    Black Death, the plague scenario
    Red Death, the apocalypse scenario
    So, obviously, next in 2020 they will do
    White Death, in which you can build nothing but Scouts and have fight off thundering herds of Woolly Mammoths, thus neatly turning the tables on Humankind's recent 'screenshot' showing hunters and mammoths on a snowy terrain.

racha, jozef57, Jkchart and 7 others like this.
  4. Red Adept

Red Adept Warlord

I'm pretty certain we'll get a 3rd XP for Civ VI in 2020. I'm also crossing my fingers for a Civ VI spinoff like Colonization, SMAC, or some fantasy genre.

I don't think we'll see Civ VII until late 2021/early 2022.

5. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Hopefully they release modding tools.

6. Abaxial

Abaxial Prince

Modding tools, finished map editor, some bug fixes. I wouldn't expect any more.

7. CaptainUnknown

CaptainUnknown Warlord

With the recent support for Switch/Xbox/PS4, I don't think moving onto to Civ 7 is the smartest approach. I imagine that because civ 6 did so well on Switch (not sure on other consoles but I distinctly recall reading the switch response was above expectations) that Firaxis will want Civ 7 to be a multi-platform launch. It seems like it would be a bad move to release Civ 7 so close to the Civ 6 release on Xbox/PS4 as it would make Civ 6 obsolete on those platforms too fast. I think a spin-off or 3rd expansion is more likely for those reasons. A spin-off can take advantage of the multiple platforms that the engine support as well, so we may even see a spin off on all the platforms.

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  8. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Another expansion would be both my guess and preference. I really don't want a spin-off if it comes at the expense of more content for Civ VI, which definitely has the room for it. Civ VII announcement this year would be very unlikely.

I think we'll get a patch in January or February, and then hopefully an expansion announcement in February or March for a May/June release. But I wouldn't seriously worry about there being no future content before the autumn or they actually put out a Complete edition.

9. Prester John 2

Prester John 2 Chieftain

Or there might be nothing at all on the civ frontier. Maybe they work on another game.

10. seankhan

seankhan Chieftain

There was a survey sent out last year to see if players would subscribe to civ on a yearly basis(constant patches with annual dlc add ons).the survey was enough to suggest there are making a new game.if so with a bit of look they will head down the xcom route and make the game a little better.(less boring and time consuming.)

11. Barbarian King

Barbarian King Prince

Maybe it's just that I'm personally allergic to the idea, but moving Civ to a subscription model seems like it would be a terrible plan. Unless the game was the most amazing thing ever or the subscription fee was quite modest, doing this would be the surest way to encourage players to stick to the Civ(s) they have rather than buying the new one. Or jump ship to Humankind.

WillowBrook and comatosedragon like this.
  12. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

Sigh.... We already have a winter update speculation patch without any real cause that just went off topic all the time, and now we have another one of these threads?

Duuk and Elhoim like this.
  13. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Beyond Earth 2.

:please:

Yeah, it sucks that participation is mandatory.....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2019
  14. Pure24

Pure24 Warlord

New game? A teaser maaaybe... Civ V came out in 2010, about six years before Civ VI. On the same trajectory leaves us with about two more years before Civ VII.

But we may get a spin-off. I think it unkikely, given how Firaxis still seems invested in Civ VI*. But I'm welcome to being pleasantly surprised!

A patch is definitely coming, though. A couple of things that are bound to be there are some AI improvements and the Pantheon fix. A few balancing touches, nothing as extreme as the September patch (again, willing to be surprised Firaxis).

Also possible is an expansion. I think it is more likely they'll do it the way they did the DLCs than Rise and Fall/Gathering Storm.

*PS: given that the game was just ported to the Switch, it makes me think they'll want to give it time to sell before announcing something different. One does not make such an investment and then immediately move on. My thoughts anyways

Haig likes this.
  15. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Colonization 3 :please:

racha and comatosedragon like this.
  16. Linklite

Linklite Warlord

I really hope not. Be the best way to ensure that I never get the new game. Maybe if they made it like 50p a month or some such, but I expect that if they did subscription it would be most likely to ve about £10 a month. Nah.

If you want to sell me a game, sell it. There's a reason why I never went to blockbuster and I'm not overly enamoured with Netflix etc, games are much worse. Spend £120 on a game to play for a year then nothing to show for it? Big N O from me.

Hopefully they may do a season pass scheme. Give us a base, then periodically update it with XPs. Oh wait, they do that already.

Just leave it alone. Upgrade the civopedia so it's easier to figure out exactly what will happen when we do certain things. Possibly do custom civs. Custom units as well? Also stretch out the different ages without slowing down builds, or at least provide a way of doing so. I find marathon frustrating because it takes a week to build a unit, but standard has me progress too fast to really enjoy the individual units before updating them. Wider tech and civic trees as well to provide real decisions that will influence the future. How wide do you go? Or do you focus instead? At the moment, you only get ~3 choices, which are easily remedied because not too long and it drops to about 2 or 3 turns to catch up on an ignored tech or civic.

17. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

Why not just tag him? @Eagle Pursuit

18. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

let me see in my crystal bowl for 2020
    i see ..... lots of discussions on this forum , more discussions on reddit and a lot more wrong predictions of what will not happen.

ezzlar likes this.
  19. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

The pattern based on previous games would suggest it's time for a spin-off. You had:

Civilization I (1991)

Civilization II (1996)
    Conflicts in Civilization Expansion
    Fantastic Worlds Expansion
    Spin-off: Alpha Centauri
    Remake: Test of Time

Civilization III (2001)
    Play the World Expansion
    Conquests Expansion

Civilization IV (2005)
    Warlords Expansion
    Beyond the Sword Expansion
    Spin-off: Colonization

Civilization V (2010)
    Gods & Kings Expansion
    Brave New World Expansion
    Spin-off: Beyond Earth

Civilization VI (2016)
    Rise and Fall Expansion
    Gathering Storm Expansion
    ???

Civilization VII (???)

From the Civ II release onward, other than the Civ III -> Civ IV transition, which was also the shortest gap between major versions in series history, there's always been a spin-off. And with Test of Time being a bit of an exception, there's always been two expansions. The Civ V -> Civ VI gap was longest in series history between major versions; the recent PS4/XBox release may affect the calculation, but Civ 1 was released on Playstation after Civ 2 was released for Windows, so perhaps not.

My guess is Firaxis is working on a spin-off if they feel like they have a good idea for one, and if so it would be released this year. If not, and they have expansion ideas, maybe they will switch it up and release a third expansion. They are somewhat the anomaly nowadays in always sticking to two expansions, with digital distribution making it easier to decide whether to continue with expansions based on sales data, and lower distribution costs lowering the risks from an unpopular expansion. Then for 2021, I'd expect a Civilization VII, and a return to their traditional 5-year cycle.

fuad, rlw33 and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  20. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Ugh I really hope we're not getting a spin off if that means no third expansion. I'm just not into them.

WorldWarIV, RohirrimElf and Pure24 like this.