1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think is the DLC release plan?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by CivCube, Mar 23, 2017.

1. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

It's now late March. While it might have felt rather slow after Civ 6 came out, we're now at four Civs/leaders compared to the seven that were released for Civ 5's cycle, five if you count the Aztecs.

Do you think we're going to see more DLC released this year before the first expansion, or ever again?

2. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

I hope there will be more DLCs before the next expansion in 2018 !

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I expect the rate of DLC output will slow down a bit, but I think we may see as many as 10 before the first expansion comes out. Although, I doubt we will see the first expansion till this time next year.

nzcamel likes this.
  4. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

I hope that there'll be moar moar moar civs coming for a very long time.

And expansions that introduce new stuff.

Flaxitux likes this.
  5. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I too think that it will slow down and probably make a break in summer. So maybe one more DLC in May/June and then one in September/Oktober and one or more or a larger one before christmas.

bbbt and Guandao like this.
  6. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

They should offer a season pass for the next batch of DLC, similar to what came with the premium edition.

Buy them all at once for a staggered release but get a slight discount.

sugerdady87, Uberfrog and Siptah like this.
  7. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

A very slight discount, especially if you're from the UK, it seems :lol:

8. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I guessing the next few DLC civs will be of Civs not already represented by a CS in-game. Those are saved for expansions. So no Netherlands and Portugal, Maya, etc.

These are the Civs which may have chance of becoming a DLC: Mongols, Ottomans, Byzantium, Celts, a Southeast Asian civ (no Hanoi/Angkor/etc as CS so far), the Incas, a North American Indian people, Mali, Ethiopia, Zulus, an Italian Renaissance state, Austria, I'm guessing a lot of the non-European civs in this list would be saved for expansions as well if Firaxis thinks they won't sell well.

Quite a number of these DLCs may be second leaders for existing civs, like Isabella for Spain, Elizabeth for England, Bismarck for Germany, Napoleon for France, Lincoln or Washington for America, Catherine for Russia, Wu Zetian for China,

CivLuvah likes this.
  9. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

I think we should expect inclusions of high market attractiveness for the DLCs. So I do not expect to see little-known civilizations and leaders, these should come in expansions.

Mongolia is a strong candidate, is a much sought-after civ with Genghis Khan who is a very famous leader.
    Vietnam is also a strong candidate. There is a great demand among the fans and Hanoi is not present in the game. And we still do not have an SE Civ.
    A double DLC from Austria and Hungary is also very possible. Its cities-states are not in the game and Hungary has a great demand.
    Among the alternative leaders, Napoleon is a very strong candidate.
    A DLC with two expressive leaders, such as Julio Cesar and Ramses II, can not be neglected.
    Genoa may come accompanied with another civ or leader.
    Even Seoul already in the game, I believe that Korea will not be long in being included
    And if we are talking about high market attractiveness, we must not forget modern civilizations.

10. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Chieftain

Can't understand people fall into the DLC trap.

youngsteve likes this.
  11. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Chieftain

What is the trap? They want to release more content for a small price and I want more content for a small price...

12. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

So I've seen the argument "the DLC civs will be of civs not represented by a CS" a lot of times, and an equal amount of times it's been countered by "that wasn't true in civ 5". So can people please stop using it as argument when it wasn't true last time around?

Sucks to be you.

13. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

I'm really not convinced that the individual DLCs are selling very well.

Whilst we have no way to tell what the sales numbers are, you can make some educated guesses by looking at the global achievement percentages on Steam. The DLC achievement with the highest unlock % is to win a game as Jadwiga at 1.4%, Australia is even lower. Even if we consider that not everyone who owns the DLC's has completed a game with Poland or Australia, I can't see more than 6-8% of the entire Civ VI install base owning a single DLC. Taking into account the fact that anyone who has already purchased the deluxe edition recieves the DLC automatically, the actual sales for individual DLCs are probably below 5% of the full install base.

Now, I'm fairly sure Firaxis announced they've sold in excess of a million copies of Civ VI already, so you're going to tell me that 50,000 people buying the DLC is not some insignificant number and that's true - even if they are making as little as $1 profit on each DLC sold, that's money in the bank - but I don't doubt for a second that the 2K suits are going to encourage Firaxis to produce content that will be attractive to the largest segment of Civ VI purchasers possible.

Whether that means expansions sooner rather than later, I don't know. Coupled with this is the issue of the negative review spam - regardless of whether you think it justified or not, its only going to hurt their image and efforts to sell more DLC in the long term. If they are going to continue to sell individual DLC's beyond the deluxe edition content, Firaxis is going to have to change up either the pricing or the amount/types of content they offer in each DLC to get the average consumer back onboard with their plans.

youngsteve likes this.
  14. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

DLC is pure money gravy. All digital? No physical printing or shipping? And this is all on top of the fact that most of it is done during the games actual development anyway.

15. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Sure, the content was made last year before launch and its all a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

They have to pay the costs of the development time and Steam takes a cut as the distribution platform. Yes its less expensive than developing a full game/expansion, but it's not pure profit.

nzcamel and Leyrann like this.
  16. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

Its not a conspiracy thats just how game company's operate? And nothing is ever pure profit, but its such an easy model, they don't have to sell much.

17. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

It depends what kind of specifics we're talking about. There are people out there who seem to think that all DLC is essentially content that was designed to be in the game from the beginning, and exists in a complete and playable state prior to a given game's launch only to be arbitrarily carved out by a bunch of cackling developers who can't wait to put one over on their unsuspecting customers. This is often nonsense.

If you're talking about them having it down on paper that the first four DLC civs would be Poland, Australia, Persia and Macedon, along with an outline of how their abilities might work - sure, I agree with you. However, they wont have started on implementing them in code and doing the animations of the leaders and so on until after launch - they will have had enough on their plates back in the last few months before launch without giving themselves extra work.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make wasn't that the DLC is not making them money, its that they might have decided, or been told by the higher-ups at 2K, that they can make more money by focusing on expansions rather than putting out more single-civ DLC's. They can charge more, and a larger segment of the playerbase will fork over cash for the extensive changes. A 5$ DLC keeps the game in the public consciousness and pays to keep the lights on, an expansion is where they rake in the real money.

nzcamel and bbbt like this.
  18. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

You end up saving money by getting most of the art and animation stuff done before hand because you don't have to keep paying temps and artists, or you can have people move to other projects.

19. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Ok, you're right. They designed all that stuff for the DLC before the game came out.

Leyrann likes this.
  20. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I'm not sure what the release schedule is going to be. I would love to have Mongols and Zulus added though. After that, maybe Khmer, Inca, some form of north american indian (Iroquois / Apache / Sioux whatever), another distinctly Chinese civ from a later era than the current one.