1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of mercenary army?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by avl8, Nov 10, 2013.

1. avl8

avl8 Prince

... its second Commerce policy, 220g per pikeman.

What do you think of this policy, guys?
    Has it any uses on immortal/deity?

2. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

By the time you get it, you can buy one just about every turn. But to make the most of it,, you have to capture cities.

3. ixias

ixias Warlord

Depending in the situation, they could be a very potent unit. They gained some promotions, such as no movement cost to pillage and getting gold when they attach a city (plus a boost I'm I'm not mistaken). Unlike other purchased units, they can move the same turn they're purchased.

Also, you can combine this with Freedom's Arsenal of Democracy and gain some pretty cheap and quick influence with City-States.

4. Monthar

Monthar Deity

If you go to the policy after it the cost drops to 160g each.

5. ixias

ixias Warlord

Ah yes, I forgot about that; thanks, Monthar. You can also couple it with Big Ben for super cheap units.

6. isau

isau Deity

What do the mercs upgrade to? Do they keep their bonuses? They seem okay, but I'm unsure about the window of opportunity.

7. ixias

ixias Warlord

They upgrade to Lancers like Pikes. The window of opportunity is as large as that of a Pikeman (assuming you're going to pick the policy quickly). Like I said before, they can still be used for the Arsenal of Democracy tenant since they don't obsolete. Dipping down another policy like Monthar said makes them even cheaper.

8. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Chieftain

Don't underestimate their lategame value either. ZOC and the AI's inability to pick targets means that you can buy yourself valuable turns by spamming sacrificial units when you've made a tactical error and have your units on the wrong side of your empire in the face of a surprise attack. I've saved cities with delaying tactics while I brought my forces across the map.

9. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Really? not to rifleman? I saw somewhere, maybe mixed with Japan's UU.

10. Soffacet

Soffacet Warlord

I've been tinkering with Mercenary Army quite a bit since the fall patch, and imo it's pretty brilliant for a domination strategy. You can certainly acquire a much larger army than usual, much earlier than usual, allowing the conquest to begin earlier than usual.

From a normal 3-4 city Tradition start and normal tech order, aim for Mercantilism and Machinery. Build XBs, buy Landsknechts, profit. Try to have Barracks/Armory/HE in the capitol so your insta-troops pop out with 3 promotions each. Works best with England of course.

11. MarauderCH

MarauderCH Warlord

Never taken it and used it yet

12. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Emperor

you can abuse the cheap mercenaries with Freedom+Commerce SPs to ally up all the city states. Since the cheap merc never expires, this works really well mid-late game. Someone already mentioned here but here is the link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=514135

13. MKDELTA3

MKDELTA3 Warlord

It's probably a nice panic button for peaceful merchantile civs. Pikes are kind of squishy against cities so the loot bonus is sort of difficult to utilize unless you keep them safe through some shenaningans. They make fancy Lancers but the whole upgrade line is pretty bad. I avoid Pikes in general to begin with.

14. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Unpromoted pikes are squishy. Discipline pikes with GG and a terrain promo will shrug it off even on flat ground.

15. avl8

avl8 Prince

Well, the question remains:

Is it a useful policy on immortal/deity?

16. ixias

ixias Warlord

I've only used it on Emperor as of now, but I think it would still be fairly useful if you have a decent GPT and gold stack. I mean, you need to get to Civil Service and unlock the policy, but you usually want to go to Civil Service pretty early anyway.

Like I said, you're essentially spending $220 (less with the next policy and Big Ben) for a nicely promoted Pike. I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

17. Vaclac

Vaclac Chieftain

Yeah, I've used this once very successfully. It seems extremely situational though. I used it as Venice in a deity game where I had basically no military, but got lucky that when the AI DoWed me I got my next policy. Their cheapness and ability to move meant I could spam out a bunch which I saved my butt while I built some crossbows and Venetian galleases to repel the attack. I don't know if this would be particularly helpful if you get attacked in a different era though, think I just got lucky.

18. pkf

pkf Warlord

it is not one to aim for, unless there are highly favorable circumstances (e.g. dom victory, lib already finished, want to conquer more and need commerce anyways).

go for mercantilism - if you cant fill in 3 policies before ren era, patronage is still good for two fillers. filling only commerce till mercenary is only good if you reliably know you will have time to pick mercantilism later on - which is seldom the case.

19. Resipsa

Resipsa King

I've used it with Songhai -you can run 2-3 armies at a time and just sacrifice them attacking cities along with your CBs or XBs, just target down cities and if you loss two or three in the capture you can replace them with the triple plunder.