• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What Do You Think of My Home?

Zardnaar

Deity
Well during lockdown I've spent a bit of time watching YouTube. From locations in Russia and Ukraine through to the USA and Africa.

Anyway I thought I would post some videos and ask for CFCs opinion on where I live. Be honest.

Of course it's just a visual made by a local as we see it day to day. It's not a slick promotional series. I'll also try and keep it short, 2 -10 minutes short. These are also fairly recent.

Boring stuff. I live in Dunedin NZ, population around 120k, university city, Labour/Green party stronghold.

Downtown day 8 of lockdown probably April 1st or 2nd.

Main street post lockdown testing 10kmh speed limit a week or so ago. They dumped the idea.

And last week a black lives matter protest in the Octogon which is the center of town. It's around the 6 minute mark in the previous video.

So the videos are mostly the CBD area last few weeks. Latest one is a week ago start of winter.

Not my channel btw, I don't make videos they're just the most recent videos I can find.

Neighbourhood seems fine, no activists, no crime. But all buildings look like stage sets. Now I understand the Fountainhead :)

Everything I've ever seen of NZ makes me wish that's where I lived. I wouldn't want to leave family and friends so I'm unlikely to ever leave my state let alone country but NZ would be a top choice.

Neighbourhood seems fine, no activists, no crime. But all buildings look like stage sets. Now I understand the Fountainhead :)

Stage sets? They're mostly Victorian with a few new ones.

Everything I've ever seen of NZ makes me wish that's where I lived. I wouldn't want to leave family and friends so I'm unlikely to ever leave my state let alone country but NZ would be a top choice.
Sounds like a mid-westerner. :p

Botanic Gardens. In summer we sometimes picnic here. Has some shots of the town belt on the hill in distance. Town belt basically just trees with walkways through them.

Gardens are in the student area, you see some sights sometimes.

10kmh speed limit? how did that get past one person proposing the idea and the council of lawmakers laughing at them until they sat down

10kmh speed limit? how did that get past one person proposing the idea and the council of lawmakers laughing at them until they sat down

No one's sure local body can be stupid. They dropped the idea a few days ago.

They also painted dots on the road for social distancing.

I think ultimately they'll turn the street into pedestrian only and divert traffic to the one ways.

It looks like nice place to live, its not too packed but like my place as the population grows so too comes with its both prosperity but also the overcrowding city feel.
where I live we went from three story max high apartments, nice houses to massive 10 story building complex everywhere, on the other hand it has brought a lot of commercial shops, business to our area.

That's not for a car perhaps but for a skateboard.

I don't see a problem really. inner-city automotive driving shouldn't be a thing anyway. cities like pontevedra have already banned cars with decent success.

A lot of UK urban areas are dropping speed limits from 30mph to 20 mph which seems like a practical limit, any lower is getting ridiculous.
Still, I'd prefer they enforce the current limits strictly rather than declaring new lower limits that everyone ignores.

A lot of our city and town centres are increasingly pedestrianised which works well as long as decent public transport, affordable parking and access for disabled are planned for properly.

Traffic calming measures on the other hand can make the situation worse. I remember one road where drivers would accelerate rapidly then brake sharply due to a series of speed bumps. Much more dangerous than if they hadn't been put in at all.

25 mph on residential side streets where there are no posted speed limit signs. Typically dont see any lower than that except school zones at 15, might have seen 10 once, but miles, not km..

Speed bumps can work. Sure, you can have the idiots wearing out their tires and brakes with rapid accelerating and braking, but that is on them. You do get rid of people who want to fly through the area without paying attention, or use that street as a shortcut that ends up being more heavily traveled than intended. "Instead of waiting at this stoplight like everyone else, let's try zipping through this residential area and see if we can't get to our destination 15 seconds faster".

Top Bottom