What do you think of Paul Carell?

Smellincoffee

Trekkie At Large
I'm trying to read various books that my home library is about to send to a smaller county library before they disappear, and one at-risk title was The Desert Foxes by Paul Carell. I'm halfway into reading it, and looked up the author to see if he'd done anything else...only to find that he was an honest-to-goodness Nazi. Not a march violet mind you, but a member two years before they took power, a guy who was von Ribbontrop's press secretary. I'd rather like to read Operation: Invasion! for the novelty of a German take on D-day, but it feels....morally problematic. Has anyone here read him, or know much about him?

I'm trying to read various books that my home library is about to send to a smaller county library before they disappear, and one at-risk title was The Desert Foxes by Paul Carell. I'm halfway into reading it, and looked up the author to see if he'd done anything else...only to find that he was an honest-to-goodness Nazi. Not a march violet mind you, but a member two years before they took power, a guy who was von Ribbontrop's press secretary. I'd rather like to read Operation: Invasion! for the novelty of a German take on D-day, but it feels....morally problematic. Has anyone here read him, or know much about him?
Read one or two of his books long ago, good reads.

Don't remember him trying to sell Nazi propaganda, does write from German viewpoint.

he was the only guy that seemed to have written about WW II , if you were a teen in the Turkey of 1980s with so many of his titles available in the so limited number of books . From his books ı have learned Ruki Verch or something means Hands Up in Russian and Germans always fight with some entrenching tool which is apparently an invention of Russians , according to some recent Osprey title on Spetsnaz . Can't say anything else .

He refers to Hitler as a maniac at one point, so I suppose that's promising. It doesn't seem as though he's too controversial.

Top Bottom