1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

what do you think of the new longsword?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Lose, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Lose

Lose King

what do you think of the new longsword with the +16 dmg instead of +18, also you need construction before metal casting which delays them further. so what do you guys think of the change? i personally think this is a good change. balances out a lot of iron problems. Heres a SS of the new Longs i took from the new civilpedia via menu.

2. Luciela

Luciela Chieftain

I think it's good in the fashion that this promotes the use of heavy cavalry. Makes medieval combat more interesting.

3. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

That image is tiny...I can't see it!

4. Lose

Lose King

fixed sorry

5. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

I think that it's a much-needed nerf to very early domination strategies. Indirect buff to horses and siege, reducing reliance on early game iron. Probably not a big deal at lower levels, but on very high levels it could cause even more fits than the reduced happiness.

6. spider1

spider1 Prince

If you play a defensive military game for a culture/science/diplomacy win like I do, this means that horses and crossbowmen can more easily defend your empire until rifles or gunpowder come along. Fine with me.

7. Dizzy75

Dizzy75 Warlord

I think this is a change in the right direction. It theoretically gives a reason to target Gunpowder (besides opening Renaissance), since muskets are now technically better, because they're the same strength but require no iron.

In practice they may not be, though, because of the lack of promotions. And I don't know if they're SO much better that it makes up for the large gap in research cost.

8. Arilian

Arilian King

Good change, LSW was too strong and LSW rush was too easy.

9. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Plus and you now have an incentive to allow longswordmen die in ur wars by the time u get gunpowder so you can shift the iron allowance to frigates if you're in real shortage for iron.

10. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

I'm still have little trouble using them to great effect in my first 332 game, but I don't think they need to be weakened further, this is a fairly good level for them. Once they get a few promos though, they're not all that different to how they were.

11. Dizzy75

Dizzy75 Warlord

When did you get Steel in your latest game? Just curious, as I haven't started a new game since the patch.

Btw, you're a brave man for playing with those specs. My last box was almost identical to yours, and I found it intolerable. :(

12. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

You never have an incentive to let them die. It might be worth risking them a bit more to try and get larger gains, but if nothing else, disbanding them in your territory nets you gold.

13. Becephalus

Becephalus King

They seem better balanced to me.

14. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I didn't even notice about the new machinery requirement, I'm not sure about it. The option to beeline should be there.
    But I really like the strength nerf. Now knights are finally a halfway decent counter.

15. Uniform Sierra

Uniform Sierra Warlord

I always skipped making LSMs. Gunpowder is so close that there's no real point. By the time you make your first 2 or 3 LSMs you might as well start making musketmen.

16. Mods

Mods Warlord

new longswords are crap compared to the longbows now, they get absolutely slaughtered

17. jojorah

jojorah Prince

Better than having the op ones though :goodjob:

18. Becephalus

Becephalus King

LB are a UU, and their counter is horsemen/knights not LS.

19. Mods

Mods Warlord

If they were a counter, they'd have a bonus vs archers, which they don't. therefore, they also get slaughtered :(

(Sorry playing against lizzy on hilly terrain, kinda frustrated with her elbows)

20. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

Take cover 1 and cover 2 promos instead of going straight to march/blitz. Generally speaking I've found that the ai has improved its ability to wage war, I actually lost 2 cities (one early and one late) last night in a game that I won!