1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you want in Civ V?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Byzantine_1, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Byzantine_1

Byzantine_1 Chieftain

This is my first thread, so if I did anything wrong, please tell me :thanx:

So, what do you want in Civ 5?

Personally, I'd like:

The Byzantine Empire in great detail

They were around, assuming you start with Constantine I and end with the Ottomans in 1453, for over 1,000 years. No single dynasty (China and the Maya don't count since China was in Civil war half of their history and the Maya ended up migrating halfway through their history to an area thousands of miles away from their home land), so they deserve recognition equal to places like Greece, Rome, and America.

The Confederate States of America Civ

Sure, they were short-lived and lost the only war they participated in, but they deserve to be in the game. They forever changed the face of America and the Africans living there. And for those who like the what-if element, look up Harry Turtledove's books. The one on the CSA winning the war is what I want you to see.

Various leaders

By that, I mean something like governors of mayors. Like in the Total War series, there was a different governor for each city. From this, you could increase the potency of revolts and bribery.

Tactics

Sure, Civ 4 solved the spearmen - beats - tank problem, but I still see instances where victory isn't gained because the battles are done by chance. Anyone know how to fix this?

Just my two cent's worth.

2. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Prince

kan i has plague?

3. Lord Lord

Lord Lord Chieftain

Fall From Heaven 2 mod :)

4. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Prince

Yes, but also plague killed a significant portion of europe's populace in Justinian's era. He caught it himself.

5. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Please show me a link to where the Mayans had a great migration of thousands of miles halfway through their history.

Thanks.

6. 66th of Foot

66th of Foot Chieftain

China doesn't count yet somehow the CSA does??? For the what if/fiction crowd maybe we should tell them to include Daleks and Planet Of The Apes....maybe even Hammy Hamster.

7. Byzantine_1

Byzantine_1 Chieftain

Just so you guys know, I WANT China. The point I was trying to make is that the Byzantine Empire lasted longer than any of China's dynasties. They were better than the CSA, it's just that the CSA had as much of an impact on history as, say, the Khemer did, so they should be included.

Also, go watch Engineering an Empire: Maya from the History Channel. It talks all about them,

8. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

I'd say CSA only had as more impact on the US and its immediate surroundings than Khmer

9. Byzantine_1

Byzantine_1 Chieftain

10. Byzantine_1

Byzantine_1 Chieftain

True, but the point is that they impacted the world, even if it's only minor outside of an area, so they should be remembered. How much have you been impacted by the Zulu?

11. Thormodr

The plot synopsis mentions nothing of a great migration. Even if they had migrated from thousands of miles away, their civilization flourished for anywhere from 1200 to 1500 years or longer. You can hardly say that they migrated in the middle of their history. Perhaps in their pre-history. You could say that about almost any ancient civilization though.

I will watch the videos though out of interest in the history of the Mayans. Thanks for the links.

Mentioning the CSA as a viable Civ ahead of China or the Mayans is beyond ridiculous. There is really no other way to put it.

12. 66th of Foot

66th of Foot Chieftain

Just to clarify here,even though the General Lee from Dukes Of Hazzard was a neat car,how exactly did the CSA impact on the world???...culturally,scientifically,militarily,financially,industrially,politically,legally...at a loss here as to your reasoning for including them.

13. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

In the OP's defense, he wasn't saying the CSA belonged ahead of China or the Mayans. He was making two unrelated points. However, the CSA has NO place in the game. They existed only for a few years and they were a complete failure. It'd make no sense to put them in the game.

14. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Yeah, bonafide11 is correct. But we've spent much too much time slicing and dicing a first-time poster.

What I'd like to see is some AI with some intelligence. Can we get that?

15. Thormodr

Thanks again for the links. The videos were very interesting. However, there is absolutely nothing about a great migration.

When the southern Mayan cities suddenly collapsed there were some people that made their way northwards certainly. Some returned to the jungle and to small villages.

However, as the video states, the Mayans endured for 1500 years in some of the most inhospitable terrain on earth. They seem to see Mayan history as one long unbroken chain.

Whatever, the case, I quite enjoyed learning more about Mayan Engineering feats. Simply incredible when you think about it. I think I'll play a game as the Mayans in cIV now. :D I sure hope they are in ciV. ^^

Anyway, where are my manners. :(

Welcome to CFC. I see you have a great interest in history as a love for Civ as I do. I look forward to discussing things in the future. :)

16. MatrixTheKitty

MatrixTheKitty Skitty

I'd like to have an in-game custom civilisation builder instead of having to go through all that XML stuff.

17. sputnik323

sputnik323 Magelord

I would like useful buildable defensive structures that go throughout history not just end at castles. (eg. real trench lines replicating no-mans-land, maginot line, hardened bunkers, landmines, trapts ect...)

Fall From Heaven 3 Orbis would be nice too but that is more up to modders :)

18. EzInKy

EzInKy Excentric

Personally I would like a Civ V that is playable on the computer of my choice, whether that be a PC, Mac, or even a Linux based phone. And of course I would want it modable enough to allow me to create whatever civilizations are important to me. I don't care if it only comes with a few default civilizations as long as I can create whatever real or fantasty civilizations that I can dream up. Really, what does it matter if your favorite civ isn't included by default, when all it takes is editing some values and a few clicks of a mouse to create whatever it is that you can dream up?

@MatrixTheKitty

What file format other than XML would you recommend to be used to store the data necessary to modify any version of Civ? I agree that it XML isn't very user friendly and wastes space, but it is pretty obvious that some type of file format needs to be present to store and interpret data.

19. MatrixTheKitty

MatrixTheKitty Skitty

I didn't say that it wouldn't use XML, just that those of us who aren't interested in advanced modding and just wanna make a couple custom civs without hassle could use an in-game interface to make them, and the game would generate the necessary XML files.

20. EzInKy

EzInKy Excentric

Fine. But, certainly you understand that modders would need to understand how the game interprets data files in order to make their mods work, right? What file format do you recommend that will ease both the development of mods and end user integration of mods to suite your needs?