I’m better than Putin.

What would yours be?

Amenities:
* high speed internet (a must)
* comfortable reclining seats
* private bathroom and bedroom
* hotel ice maker
* maid service

As for design, interior and exterior I need to think of some ideas and find some pictures. Interior, thinking something with wood. Wood is good.

Exterior, none of those blues or yellows you see on many trains. Those Keith Haring colors? Goodbye! That Goldeneye one wasn’t bad except for the front that made it look like an Easter Island statue.

Armaments? I don’t think I need that many, not like anyone even cares who I am. Maybe they would if I had a private armored train, but it would have to be something that pleases my sense of aesthetics.

FDR had a secret train and tunnel into NYC.

I'd need a train station and tracks before worrying about a train. The tracks were relocated out of town decades ago.

I'm thinking of an art deco design. Modern amenities, of course. wifi, a modern kitchen, a modern infirmary, everything energy-efficient, etc.
  • A modern sound system with hidden speakers in every car and compartment.
  • The bar car would have a small performance space, for musicians, stage actors, standup comics, and burlesque shows.
  • I'd want to have a maintenance crew aboard, in addition to the service staff, and they'd have to be living there for days at a time, at the very least. So good compartments for the staff & crew. Wouldn't need to be as nice as the guest rooms, but they'd have to be nicer than the old bunk-racks of yore.
  • I'd also have a designer make some retro-inspired suits & uniforms for the staff & crew, rather than have them wear period-authentic clothes. Modern materials, with comfort and safety in mind, as well as looking good, and gendered and non-gendered designs to choose from, as they please.
  • Can you put a swimming pool on a train? Well, maybe a hot tub. And a masseuse. I'm not into the whole mani-pedi thing, myself, but I could have a cosmetologist aboard for the guests who find that sort of pampering relaxing.
  • The modern, fully-outfitted kitchen will be staffed on a rotating basis by my favorite Top Chef competitors. The menu is theirs, and I'll eat just about anything, but I would encourage them to be inspired by whichever part of the country we're traveling through.
  • A well-outfitted and -stocked bar, too. I'm thinking cocktails, in addition to beer & wine.
  • No overt weapons. In hostile areas, such as regions overrun by New York Yankees fans (I'll be making a lot of trips to New York City, so the threat is real), the outer skin can be electrified to repel boarders. Sonic emitters, too. In the event bandits do get inside, designated compartments can be selectively sealed and flooded with a nonlethal gas and "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond.

House & Garden, 10 October 2022 - "The legendary Orient Express train is getting an all-new art deco look"

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

A couple things. First off, a hot tub. But one with high enough walls so that the jostling of the train doesn't splash out of it. But one that's spiffy, fancy, and nice. I think that might be harder to design than people think, so it's a true work of novel creative effort.
Probably a monkey butler with an engineer hat. He'll get weekends off.
And by golly, a proper snack selection. I don't want to be on my train and thinking "I'm tired of these monkey-feeding snacks on my Monday to Friday train!"

Ooooh, and a lever I can pull that hardens the train to the ground. Like, sliding armored panels than make it into a box of armor. Pistons drive into the ground to stabilize it and seal the armor to the ground itself.
Ooooh, ooooh and a rail gun. Plus, the double-decker question below made me realize that I'd want pop-up railings on the roof so I could go sit up there with a lawn chair and a beach umbrella.

Last edited:
Do train tunnels in the US routinely accommodate double-decker cars? The commuter train that runs near my house has double-decker cars, but that's a specific line. I don't know if those cars can go just anywhere.

Do train tunnels in the US routinely accommodate double-decker cars? The commuter train that runs near my house has double-decker cars, but that's a specific line. I don't know if those cars can go just anywhere.
Amtrak runs double decker cars in the west and they go through tunnels.

I've been on this one many times to LA and Chicago.

sleeper car.jpg

View attachment 653910
Okay, so then you could have a double-height car with a basketball court or a movie theater inside, instead of two levels of seats. :goodjob:

View attachment 653910
Ontario Go Trains are more interesting looking

After having experienced them firsthand, I wouldn't trust Amtrak to make me a sandwich.

My armoured train better be able to fly, in case the enemy is smart enough to screw with the railroad tracks. I'll also need highspeed internet, a hottub, a queen size bed with memory foam, and a lego room.

It depends on the tunnel. I think the tunnels into Washington Union Station were raised to accept double level cars, but I'm pretty sure the tunnels into New York, Philadelphia, and Boston are still too short to accept double level cars. Plus anywhere in the Northeast Corridor between DC and Boston has catenary wires too low to accept double level cars.

Anyhow, my armored train gotta be pulled by a steam engine. Beyond that, I'm happy.

After having experienced them firsthand, I wouldn't trust Amtrak to make me a sandwich.

My armoured train better be able to fly, in case the enemy is smart enough to screw with the railroad tracks. I'll also need highspeed internet, a hottub, a queen size bed with memory foam, and a lego room.

What, no kitchen that comes with a chef and ingredients for every kind of pho known to exist? :mischief:

If I had one, it would be equipped with a forcefield to repel snow, ice, trees, mudslides, and floodwater. It would be able to detect wildlife on the tracks and transport them off safely (no, I don't know how, it just would).

There would be an observatory for stargazing.

How'd I miss this thread when it was new? The "Related Threads" feature comes in handy for a change!

This reminds me of the film "Snowpiercer". The whole film takes place on an armored train, and it's a Bong Joon-Ho film, the same guy who did Parasite, so it's well-put-together. The armored train in the car is fully self-sustaining, growing its own food, and is designed to remain in perpetual motion around a very lengthy loop.

Which raises the question, how long and how frequently am I going to be on this train? A train with a basketball court sounds fantastic, and I want one if I'm going to be on it forever like in Snowpiercer, but if I'm only going to be taking it to Philadelphia, it's probably not necessary.

One of my first thoughts was an observation car at the end, to watch the world go by. I like Valka's idea of one-upping that to also be an observatory.

Good food is also important. I've had pretty good food on Polish train cars, and decent elsewhere in Europe, but most trains aren't the Orient Express. But if we're going to the expense of an armored train, we're going to put a proper kitchen in it too. The menu can rotate, but we'll need both main courses and sides, proper wine pairings for dinner, and, when desired, desserts and a small selection of liquors. Likely focusing on Scotch and brandy, the latter for making the official armored car beverage of a Wisconsin old-fashioned.

And a fancy dining car. Those Orient Express pictures look great, I'm always a fan of art deco. Proper wood paneling, moderate evening lighting... the train should be one that passengers will want to ride on again, and not just for the armor.

Definitely comfortable sleeping compartments, and non-bunked ones in the state bedrooms. And adequate seating that the passengers can all move to one side if something really interesting is going on to one side. No one gets misses out on cool fjords or city skylines going by.

If we have an unlimited budget and are going long distances, I want a car with a bowling alley for a unique and memorable recreation experience. We can probably only fit one or two lanes, but the cars are long, so why not? The movement of the train just adds another layer to the traditional challenges. The train reaches a curve right as you throw a potential strike? Well, it might be a gutter ball, but other times it might earn you an extra pin or two.

We'll need a proper library as well. Floor-to-ceiling, vintage hardcover tomes, gilded lettering on some of them, properly organized, with some comfortable reading chairs in comfortable nooks. Depending on the length of the trip we might need more than one library car.

Finally, assuming I'll be using this train on my official duties as President of Ohio, we'll need a conference room, as well as a proper office/study area with a large oak, mahogany, or walnut desk, for both productivity and one-on-one meetings.

Armaments? The main concern is likely to be some Michiganders deciding to renew the Toledo War, or else some hooligans rooting for the wrong team before The Game. The exterior armor alone is likely to be sufficient. Although it might be a good idea to have an extra tender or diesel storage car so we don't have to buy extra provisions while traveling through that state up north, Coach Hayes would not approve of having to buy fuel up there.

If we are going for aesthetics the only thing that matters is that it is a steam train.

Despite my earlier post, we have quite a tradition of "Royal Trains" here, I doubt they were armored though...who on earth would want to kill the King of the Belgians.

And ofcourse with a royal train goes a royal suite, in several stations :

How the times have changed :)

Last edited:
Reading up on Kim Jong-un’s train, it moves at a lightning speed of 37 miles per hour (60km/h)—I think I’d want mine to go faster than that. It should do at least 120 (193) maximum, cruising speed 80+.

I don’t know about how to power a train, but I found the Germans in the 1930’s tried to build one that had a propeller on the back. It was discontinued because you couldn’t connect anything to the back and having a giant propeller spinning around busy railway platforms was thought by some to possibly be unsafe.

Top Bottom