1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you want out of life?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dekker, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Dekker

Dekker Prince

And do you feel you are close to where you want/thought you'd be at your current age?

2. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

I am actually where I want to be, the trick is now maintaining life and growing my work. :)

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Considering that I thought I'd be dead at my current age (due to medical issues), I'd say I'm somewhat farther ahead...

hobbsyoyo, dusters and Kyriakos like this.
  4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

• Being able to afford to
    • Do what I enjoy
    • With people I love
    The third point I have covered, and I know what to do for the second point, it's just the first point I'm worried about

cardgame likes this.
  5. Snerk

Snerk Finger Lickin' Good

I would love to be content in life. I have no need for happiness or bliss, not sure what it means to consider oneself happy. The whole concept seems odd to me.

For my age I'm well behind in most parameters of success in life. It's not (just) down to laziness, I've got no shortage of excuses, but at the end of the day that's meager comfort.

Still, I'm trying to get some momentum going in different arenas in life, and things might be looking up over the next years. Or not, we shall see right?

6. dusters

dusters Fairy

100% light vibrations, ability to materialize with thoughts. levitation, flying, teleportation, Love and Happiness for everyone and a lot of other things

I'm on my way.

7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

8. civvver

civvver Deity

I want my kids to be happy and successful.

9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

10. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Build the hanging gardens in real life and have ecovillage/harem w Elta

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Can't think of anything I don't already have.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Heh upvote for appropriate Star Wars quote/meme.

Blood and souls for me.

13. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

Eat sleep drink poop

14. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

That would be ideal, but I think that that ship has sailed so I'll settle for revenge.

Hygro likes this.
  15. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

What do I want...fun.
    I never had a really good plan for what I want in life.
    Since I've been thinking about it, I want to have a good career, a nice circle of friends and good fun. So not very complex, but sometimes still hard to achieve. But I think I'm on track :).

Dekker, Narz and Birdjaguar like this.
  16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I want my family life to continue to be happy and stable.

Professionally, I crave recognition and praise and I hope to get lots more of that.

17. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I gave you a like for whatever that's worth :D

The_J and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Thanks man I appreciate that!

19. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

life doesn't really owe me jack. I'd be really glad if the world doesn't end in 10 years, but that's probably too much to ask.

i'm the opposite. I hope I'm never quite content with what I have. I hope I don't fall down the trap of material happiness, and yes I strongly agree the pop-cultural concept of happiness is absolutely disturbing. society is constantly telling us to be exactly like everyone else, to fit in, to emulate the famous, wealthy, smart, beautiful. after all, if you can live a life like the kardashians do, you'll be just as happy as they are. capitalism is telling us that in order to be happy we absolutely need to do better than our next man, we have to be above average. those are contradictroy. I think it's pretty telling that we have such insane amounts of both narcissists and people with self-worth issues, sometimes even both. the popular, marketable definition of happiness is utterly shizophrenic.

I always strive, I always have and I hope I'll never stop. not for a better life really, or to be a better person, but just for experience itself. maybe for novelty, too. for my passions. I feel like once I really do stop, my life as I know it will be over (in a metaphorical way ofc). I can't really imagine saying "well, good enough. I'll just relax from now on." that seems kinda defeatist to me.

I believe it's kind of telling how capitalism transformed our dreams, utopias, callings into quantifiable, reachable, material goals. have a well-playing job, a decent number of friends, two kids, visit every continent, get rid of that belly. every single step promises happiness and fulfillment, but only leads up to another staircase really. when was the last time someone, anyone, told you of a non-material dream, a transcedental one, a utopian one? I have a hard time even coming up with one to be honest. people don't want to make movies anymore, they want to sell them. they want to be directors, be admired, live that lifestyle. you know what I mean? everything we do seems like a means to an end.

back in the middle ages in Germany, one did not say "Beruf" (which means profession, job), but "Berufung" (which means a "calling" from god himself). your line of work was not just something you did to survive, or to prosper, or to help other people, but for entirely non-material reasons. I'm not trying to glamorize the middle ages here, not at all, just trying to give a historic dimension to the idea of work and fulfillment. the idea of working in order to enable one or another lifestyle is somewhat recent.

20. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Oh you can edit this

To crush my enemies, see them driven... etc.