1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What does a MAGA hat stand for?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rah, Jan 14, 2020.

1. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Before we get started let's just say, I don't own one and I would never wear one.

But why do those on the left assume the worst and think it's all about racism? I can understand why people think that about the Confederate flag (due to over a hundred years of tradition) but this is a ball cap with a political slogan on it. Most people claim it's because it means you support Trump. If the hat said I support Trump would that make a person an automatic racist? The Left has overblown this issue to paint as negative opinion of anyone that dares to disagree with them. Oh they must be racists. Some Democrats have used this slogan before. Come on, yes the Republicans have taken advantage of some racists to get their votes, but what percentage of Republicans are actually racists? What percentage of Democrats are? The former probably less than you think, and latter probably more. That's the problem when you only have two parties. They're too inclusive to classify them with a single trait. But this seems to be a common opinion from the left. And yes, all democrats are not on the left.

As I've stated in other threads, I've got many relative in Florida that wear them because they have been hoodwinked to support Trump. Out of the dozen, only one is really a racist. Many of the others wear the hat because they know how much it irritates the Democrats. Heck these days, Democrats do a lot of things just to piss off the Republicans. But they aren't called racists because of it.

Half the country has determined that it's racist. While it's probably true for some, It doesn't guarantee it.

I am supposed to respect minorities by calling them by what they want to be called. I have no problem with that. Why doesn't that apply to other things? Thanks to cloud I now know the term CIS. I don't think that term was coined by CIS people. What if they prefer to not to be called that? Shouldn't those being assigned the label have the right to choose the label the want to be referred to?

Let the insinuations fly. Try to not be too harsh so they close the thread.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Wear the uniform, represent the system.

It's a tried-and-true process to get collaborators by appealing to things like "economic anxiety."

But again: wear the uniform, represent the system. Not being a true believer does not change that you are supporting and propagating a system that is built and supported by anti-Other rhetoric and action.

What is a symbol if not what it stands for? You say "It's just a political slogan." as though that's meaningful, but that's why it's so damning. Think of the slogan and what it stands for. People who wear the hat support what the slogan stands for, whether they support it eyes wide open, to own the libs, or just because they "like that Trump fella because he tells it like it is."

We're long past giving the benefit of the doubt to Trump, his sycophants, and his "reluctant supporters." The messaging of the slogan is clear. Wear it, represent it.

3. rah

rah Deity Supporter

You claim that. Yet many that actually do don't.
    Glad you get to decide.

I agree that some wear it as you say, but not everyone does and claiming that's the motive for everyone that does is just more hate mongering. (which is what you're accusing them of)

If they were wearing swastikas with the long history, I'd agree with you 100%.

caketastydelish likes this.
  4. Synsensa

First they came for the Muslims, and I said nothing because I was not one.

Then they came for the women, and I said nothing because I was not one.

Then they came for transgender people, and I said nothing because I was not one.

Then they came for the MAGA hats, and there was no one to say anything for me.

Get real.

hobbsyoyo and Cloud_Strife like this.
  5. civvver

civvver Deity

It starts with the assumption that Trump and the entire Republican party is made up of racists. If you believe that then you would conclude that those supporting the party support racism so it's not much of a stretch to call them racists.

GenMarshall likes this.
  6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

MAGA implies America is no longer great. It expresses a desire to go back to the past. Given the demographics of those who buy them, the 1950s and 60s. No feminism, no Roe vs Wade; no civil rights, no anti war movement; white men rule. "Normal" Christianity ruled.

The rules were clear and easy to follow.

7. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I would support that but this slogan has been used before and the same criticism was not applied. Only when it's a political opponent is it done.
    Seems kind of partisan to me.

Berzerker likes this.
  8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Wearing a MAGA hat is an automatic negative first impression on my part. I have a harder time respecting support for Assclown than I've had for just about anyone other than Madigan's flying monkeys.

But, at least, in reaction, a lot of people give out a significantly better data point than a typical first impression does. Bird's response is telling, because it shows the separation of delusions. But like he said a while back, he's done fine, made white babies, and is educated. So what's with all the sour grapes? Go back home like a Representative, or something.

9. civvver

civvver Deity

I find it ironic that on the front page we also have a post that begins with this:

We have on this very forum the same users condemning make america great slogans wishing to reverse course of economic policy back to an era when wages were rising.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I have an automatic negative reaction to it also but it doesn't inspire hate, just disagreement. To assume racism is it's own brand of hate. Which I think has a negative effect on the entire population. When did the opposition become the hated enemy? I guess we can blame the media and the internet.

11. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

As a member of a group that is at best, vulnerable, the concept of Maga alone frightens me, it's an implicit threat towards me.

I don't think i need to spell out what exactly happened to LGBTQ people in the past.

@rah can complain how unfair it is to associate maga with bigotry but the problem is that is how it's viewed by minorities and women.

12. civvver

civvver Deity

What is the threat towards you? What exactly are you afraid of?

GenMarshall likes this.
  13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Red on the outside, dead on the inside.

14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I have done well. But I was also part of the change that riles the MAGA hat folks. The 50s and 60s were terrible times for those who were not me. Growing up then I didn't have a clue about life beyond my small circle, what my age peers now think of as Great America. Until I left home for college, I road the train I was on and took advantage of my educational opportunities. I met my wife and we got married. And surprise, surprise, since she was white, we had white babies!

No sour grapes at all.

15. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Sorry, for me, that doesn't justify the raw hatred that you show in almost every post.
    I guess I'm just not that hateful of a person. And while I have not been persecuted as much as you probably have, please don't assume that I have never been so I can't possibly understand.

16. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

There was always plenty that sucked, Birb. There were always things that were good. There wasn't "one" Christianity in the 50s. Oversimplifying works all directions. The 50s probably had a lot more night screamers. A price of actual, momentary, greatness. The slogan isn't new, nor is its implication that something, currently, isn't great. Now - where we take that implication is where all the meat is. "It's the brown people" is, unfortunately, the idiot's take. "They all think it's the brown people" is, unfortunately, also the idiots' take.

17. Narz

Narz keeping it real

If someone supports Trump I cant help but assume they're kinda of a chump. I really dislike gullible people and find it ironic the alt-right is obsessed with "c u cks" and yet their champion is a proud con-man.

To me the hat is just Trump advertising. Political slogans dont really mean anything "hope and change", "yes we can", "make America great", you can view it as racist or view it as a return to when the US manufactured stuff & wasnt outsourcing so many jobs and was the unequivocal world #1

Where I live I never see the hats

GenMarshall and cardgame like this.
  18. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Whatever helps your clearly burdened conscience. I'm sure your words are of great comfort to those that will be materially harmed by the rollback of civil rights, as long as they don't get too uppity eh?

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  19. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Agreed, but CHUMP does not = Racist. make fun of them for being stupid. I can support that most of the time.

20. Synsensa

Really? This administration has already banned transgender people from the military, is trying to claw back reproductive rights, and is gutting an already gutted healthcare system.

Keep in mind that the military ban also extends to student loan forgiveness and health insurance. Judges are actively squashing attempts elsewhere in the federal government to discriminate against transgender people. The Health and Human Services Department, for example, has tried to add protections for employees so they can deny treatment and service to transgender people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/us/politics/trump-transgender-rights.html

Gorbles and hobbsyoyo like this.