What does Age of the World do?

dennisg

Warlord
Hi,
First, I HAVE tried to find the answer for this in the forums so don't flame me for just posting without looking :)

Anyway, when I set up a custom game one of the options is something like "Age of World" where you can choose between 1,2,3,4, and 5 billion years or something. What does this effect? Couldn't find anything in Civlopedia or when hovering the mouse pointer over the item...

Thanks!

I believe this sets the terrain features.. the further down you get the more rugged the terrain is.
Tho that's what i think, no clue about what it really is.

Hi,
First, I HAVE tried to find the answer for this in the forums so don't flame me for just posting without looking :)

Anyway, when I set up a custom game one of the options is something like "Age of World" where you can choose between 1,2,3,4, and 5 billion years or something. What does this effect? Couldn't find anything in Civlopedia or when hovering the mouse pointer over the item...

It defines how old the earth is when your game starts.
This has an effect on the way how mountains, hills, flatland will appear on your map.

When the earth is younger those areas are more stacked
When earth is older the whole planet is more flattened out and there won't be so many mountanious areas and when there are mountains there will be more single ones.

There was an explanation about this in Civ IV I think since this isn't a new feature

AFAIK, it goes way, way back - may even be all the way to Civ 2.
Older planet = more eroded.
Younger planet = less eroded
Middle = as it is now on earth

Earth.. 1 billion years old? I don't think we have oxygen during the Archean epoch...Not even sure there are surface continents. :crazyeye:

Yep, as already explained: 3 billion = rough terrain -> 5 billion = smooth terrain.

AFAIK, it goes way, way back - may even be all the way to Civ 2.
Older planet = more eroded.
Younger planet = less eroded
Middle = as it is now on earth

it is old indeed, but i must agree with OP that it is not explained very good, a simple hover tooltip would suffice tbh. i kinda figured it out a long time ago, but i suppose you cant assume everyone knows about basic erosion...

I think, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, that erosion started pre Civ II.

You're right, age of the world was already an option in the Civ dos version.

And the picture which was symbolizing each period was obvious

Top Bottom