1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What does "attack" mean for an air unit

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by bnj.s, Jul 25, 2008.

1. bnj.s

bnj.s Chieftain

Hello,

I do not fully understand how air units work. I am currently playing the americans, so I think it is important to understand it. What does "attack/defend" mean for an air unit? Can an air unit make a combat against a land unit (against a cavalry, for example?). How can I make an air unit attack another unit? I guess that if I understand that, I will also understand why Jet Fighters are supposed to be better than bombers.

Besides, I have a question about bombardment. What does the level of bombardment mean (for example, Jet Fighter has 3 while the F-15 has 6). Is it something similar to "attack"? Does it mean I have greater chances to reach my target when I do a bombardment?

And what is the Firing rate? With my bombers, I can usually bomb only once, not three times.

Thank you in advance for your answers or for pointing me to a page where all this is clearly explained. I could not find any.

2. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

no, air units cannot make combat with land units because they are immobile. if you were to go into the editor and make it so they could roam the terrain, they could attack units, but not capture cities (or any units in cities)

I'm not 100% sure of this myself, but I'm pretty sure the attack/defense for air units is the power they have when intercepting other enemy aircraft. the higher the defense, the more likely it is to win if defending a city. The higher the attack, the more likely it will win when it is attacking (bombarding)

air units will intercept other air units if they are set to "Interception" mission, and if that air unit successfully intercepts, it will shoot the incoming plan down (but has a chance that it can get shot down itself)

the higher the bombardment level, the more likely it is to hit the target and remove more hp of the enemy successfully

a Bombardment of 1 might hit every once and a while, whereas a bombardment of 10 will hit everytime, and a bombardment of 100 will hit everytime and always hit the Rate of Fire (maximum damage possible)

PS-that was just an example, I'm not sure if that really means anything when applied in the game

the Rate of Fire of an aircraft if the maximum damage that unit can inflict on another unit when you bombard it. you may not necessarily hit that number every time you bombard, but that is the number that you will never surpass

leathal bombardment (land/sea) also helps, because that means you can kill the unit with your bombardment, not just redline it (bring it down to 1 hp)

also, if you have any other questions like that, you can always look up the answers in the editor. the help button answers pretty much all those questions ;)

3. Gosnork

Gosnork Warlord

Actually, I believe that the attack rating for an aircraft only matters during Air Superiority missions. The defense rating is used if the aircraft is intercepted during a bombing mission. As far as I know air combat is just like ground combat, but you don't see the battle played out.

If you set your Jet Fighter to "Air Superiority" it will have a 50% chance of intercepting any enemy planes that attempt to bomb a tile within 1/2 of it's operational range. Once a fighter has intercepted an enemy plane, it cannot intercept another one until the next turn.

4. bnj.s

bnj.s Chieftain

Thank you guys for your detailed answers. It fully answers my questions.

Best regards.

5. Argetnyx

Argetnyx Emperor

Attack is for air superiority missions. If you make it so that the air unit is not immobile, it will not bomb any targets behind mountains. To make it roam the terrain, you have to make it a land unit.