1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What does disqualify someone for president?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vonork, Feb 14, 2004.

1. vonork

vonork Emperor

Considering that in a lot of threads discussion comes up if this or that is something that would make someone to be a bad president, or if it really matters.

What would disqualify someone for president? What action and in what timeframe - what if the said they were sorry. What if it was repeated? Does it affect them in doing their work as the president?

2. slothman

slothman Emperor

There are the 3 constitutional requirements: 35 years old, born in this country and not have 2 terms already. But other than that nothing. If you committed a heinous crime you probably won't get elected but you still can.

3. slothman

slothman Emperor

There are the 3 constitutional requirements: 35 years old, born in this country and not have 2 terms already. But other than that nothing. If you committed a heinous crime you probably won't get elected but you still can.

4. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

It all depends on the mood of "the people" at that time.

5. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

I would say a crime comitted not too long ago - like not 30 years ago - that hurt the general public and benefited them personally.

For example, if a Senator was running for President in 2004 and had passed a bill in 1995 that hurt the general taxpayers and benefited himself and his friends, that would show me that he should't be President.

There could be other things, but I cannot think of them right now.

6. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

I forgot, there's one other condition:

7. ShiplordAtvar

ShiplordAtvar Texan by the grace of God

Criminal convictions would DQ a candidate. Having the appearance of a general sleazebag would also likely DQ a candidate.

Minor incidents long ago can be forgiven, but otherwise no.

If it is repeated, only the most minor incidents (ie failure to pay parking tickets), otherwise DQ.

Yes, it affects them at least in an indirect manner, having criminal traits would presumably make others less inclined to work with him.

8. tomart109

tomart109 Perspicacious

On the contrary, the Bush family empire has consistently demonstrated cynical, criminal behavior on the grandest scale, and they have no trouble attracting world-class talent. From Prescott's shady business dealings with the Germans, to stealing the last US Presidential election; rewarding campaign contributors with huge tax breaks and outright cash grants; defying the UN and forcing an illegal invasion on the world to gain control of vast oil reserves and benefit your war profiteering subsidiaries; cleaning out the US Treasury for the benefit of one's business associates...
    ... and that's just the stuff we know about.

When crime pays, others join in.
    Moderator Action: warned, trolling
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

9. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

Pracitally yes, techinally no.

10. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

I am wondering if an election in which less then half of the eligible voters voted, would that techinically be a legal election? I know it is not in some European countries, they have to have like 60% of Eligible voters vote in order to have a valid election. I am fairly sure that this is not the case in Canada, but what about the States? If like 40% of eligible voters voted, would that be a legal election?

I know morally, it does not seem legal, but technically, it might be . . .

11. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

sõ ỹõũ meãñ if ỹoũ're ã feloñ ỹõu cãñ't võte bũt ỹoũ cãñ rũñ fõr pũblic õffice? :lol:

12. Pontiuth Pilate

Pontiuth Pilate Republican Jesus!

When a Pres hires more convicted criminals than the last two combined, I think it's time to start looking at them a little harder, don't you? And if a President has or had a hard-drug addiction, or had multiple convictions for petty crimes, or cheated on his wife, I think we shouldn't give them the White House.

By that list both Bush and Clinton are not eligible for President, so I'm satisfied that my standards are at least minimally sufficient.

13. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

The government can't force people to vote. If I recall the numbers correctly from the 2000 election, both Gore & Bush recieved in the neighborhood of 48 million votes. Add together then round up to a total of ~100 million voters. That's roughly 35% of the country, so it probably comes out to just over 50% of the eligible voters.

Edit: I just found this page. 51% of the eligible population voted in 2000.

14. Grille

Grille panel insect

I think what is 'practically' or 'morally' acceptable (or not) depends, at least to some extent, on the general attitude towards a certain candidate as well.

I've already found myself *ignoring* some more or less scandalous behaviour of a candidate I liked - wheras I would have probably ranted like mad if the same story was true for the 'hated' candidate.

Of course, the sort of mis-behaviour or whatever is actually important, since one's tolerance should not reach infinity.

15. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

It would be valid. The average presidental election turnout is 45%. Non-presidental years is even less.

16. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

Yes.

17. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

I believe in Australia for sure, I forget which other countries, but definitely Australia, you "have to" vote. How does that work? Any of the Australians on this site, explain that one to me, how does the government force you to vote?

Ya, that Edit proves my point that Gore actually received more votes then Bush, thanks for that, yet he still won . . .

18. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

I think you have to pay a fine if you dont go.

19. Pontiuth Pilate

Pontiuth Pilate Republican Jesus!

They force everyone to vote in Oz and John Howard wins. Here in America the majority of eligible voters stay home, and George Bush wins.

I think that basically sums up the problems of democracy.

20. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

^I agree the 2000 election should not have been that close, W should have won in a landslide. :p