1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What does it take to not be Herbert Hoover?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Xoon, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Xoon

Xoon Warlord

I dominate king, and I'm Herbert Hoover
    I dominate emperor and I'm Herbert Hoover
    I dominate immortal and I'm Herbert Hoover

Is the only way to get one of the like 15 victory rankings over Herbert Hoover to win on Deity? I feel like there should be more potential ranking mobility at the lower levels

2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Maybe conquer all the other Civs? That usually gave me a higher score than Herbert Hoover.

3. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Yeah, the score system is utterly useless. I do think I've become Charles De Gaulle a couple of times (isn't he above Hoover) if I've got REALLY big and wide empires with many big cities, but never gotten anywhere even remotely close to top 5 on the list, possibly not even top 10.

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Unfortunately there seem to be no weight for time of victory or difficulty level.

Conquer every city in the world and you will be Augustus. I've done complete conquest games many times, and I've always managed to get #1 spot. Maybe on a small map you won't get this though.

Or maybe the game just thinks you are Herbert Hoover. Look on the bright side, you get a dam named after you.

Depravo and King Abbas like this.
  5. Xoon

Xoon Warlord

Trying to do better than Herbert Hoover was the only thing driving me to endure Immortal. But now that it appears to be unrelated to any rational counting system, I have little interest in the headache that deity no doubt will be.

6. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Gitarja Domination Victory Ranked as Augustus Caesar.jpg

I got Augustus after a domination victory as India on a Huge Island Plates map at King difficulty. It stinks that you can't get a higher score without warmongering. :rolleyes:

I haven't tried Emperor and above yet. :p

7. Xoon

Xoon Warlord

So if I do that on king or emperor, I'll still get Augustus? That's ridiculous. That's now #1 on my list of things I hope they fix with the next patch/expansion.

8. Xoon

Xoon Warlord

I think you shouldn't even be able to sniff Augustus unless you're curbstomping on deity. That used to be how they did those Hall of Fames in past games. (not to mention giving weight to the difficulty of winning the same peacefully through alternate means)

9. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I practically never do domination, and when I do, I don't bother catching all cities, so that would probably explain why I can't recall anytime that I've made it into top 10.

10. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

I could get Nero every game and be happy if they'd just give back the Hall of Fame and the map replay (hopefully with an option to show religious conversions too now)

WillowBrook and craney1987 like this.
  11. Xoon

Xoon Warlord

It makes me wonder if the programmers even played previous versions

12. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

13. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I want to say that while I love map replay in 5, given how terrible the mini-map is in 6 (even disregarding the terrible decision to put fog of war on the mini-map), I am not sure that I would like it as much.

I think out of every single part of the game, the biggest step back in this version for me personally is the mini map. To be fair, this is a pretty minor thing to get hung up on.

14. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Dammed if you do,
    Dammed if you don't.

15. Xoon

Xoon Warlord

Well, I figured out how to not be Herbert Hoover. I was going to try to dominate on King and just have a massive empire, so I quickly knocked out everyone except one. But then I started getting bored and Catherine sabotaged my industrial district so I killed her.

I guess Augustus isn't meant to be.

agonistes likes this.
  16. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

In my experience the score system now works as it did in older Civ games, rather than defaulting to making you Augustus every time you won as in Civ V. It's wholly score-based (i.e. the score used for Score Victory), so there's no reason you should always end up as Herbert Hoover unless your score is always within that bracket. Things that boost score like wonders, population and number of cities will affect the result.

Since there's no Hall of Fame I can't check who I've fallen out as, but it's usually been a different rank every time.

17. liv

liv Emperor

I am often Ethelred the Unready
    I take great pride in that LOL

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Thing is many of use do play our games very similarly, so it's not surprising people are running into this problem. I often aim for 10 to 15 cities, and I usually end up slightly below middle score wise. I've done about 8 complete conquest games where I've gotten #1, but haven't done any lately.

This score system isn't very inspiring because there is little variation. I'm either #1 or slightly below the middle. Score and time of victory should have an influence. Not too much influence, mind you. You should be able to achieve Augustus even at lower levels, but only if you have every city on the map. At higher levels the requirement would be less.

19. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Play on bigger maps.

That's about it.

20. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

There is no score bonus for finishing a game in victory quickly (unlike in Civ IV), so the rankings are totally borked. Too much weight put on number of cities, not enough on infrastructure etc in tall cities.