What does the cede peace deal do?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Stacked_Deck, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Or perhaps not a bug, but a way of showing long-term resentment that you took one of their cities. Just because they ceded the city in a peace treaty doesn't mean they shouldn't hold a grudge. I know a human player would (even after 300 turns....).

plus and c4c6 like this.
  2. callan

callan Warlord

There is a bug whereby cities rarely won't reset happiness after a war. This is fixed by reloading, it doesn't affect growth except in terms of happiness reduction though.

As stated above, there is no functionality implemented for city ceding outside of the fact that it is an option the AI charge you for during a peace deal. It's not a bug, it's just not implemented. Likely it is *supposed* to be as you say but if wishes were horses then beggars would ride. So instead of getting them to cede cities you are far better off just taking their Gold, Relics, Great Works or whatever as these are actually worth something.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  3. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

Well, somehow I feel kind of missing the word YET in your sentence ... (It's not a bug, it's just not implemented.)

4. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Granted, but why have it in the game if it makes no difference? I can understand a smaller negative relationship modifier for having captured a city and diplomatically annexed it; but the "you occupy my city" message makes much more sense in light of a city that has not been ceded.

Sun Tzu Wu likes this.
  5. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

That's ironclad reasoning! It's a game after all. We don't really want AIs that act as crazy as some humans do. We want some predictabilty within paramaters for a given specific AI based on primarily their known traits. Diplomacy in Civ V Vanilla was insane for example. I hope Civ VI is much better.

nzcamel likes this.
  6. Yzman

Yzman Deity

It has to be a bug or not implemented feature. There is zero reason that the AI will not accept a peace deal that cedes a city but will accept one that doesn't if both things are identical. They gave them different values to the AI, so they must have had a purpose.

nzcamel likes this.
  7. Magil

Magil Monarch

Putting aside the fact that they're not trying to make the AI act like a human player (the vanilla Civ V AI was a good example of why this is a bad idea), the relevant diplomatic modifier is "you occupy one of their cities". If they use the game term "occupied" to indicate a city that has not been ceded, then the term should be removed from that diplomatic modifier and changed to something like "you captured one of their cities". That's if it's intentional and not so kind of bug.

nzcamel likes this.
  8. bladex

bladex Emperor

yeah what is thr point of cedeing i'v had cities ceded to me but the ai still deno me for occupying their cities...

9. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

It'd be nice if divvying up occupied cities had its own part of the interface and forced a decision to be made one way or another. For one, it'd make it more obvious that just occupying the city isn't the same thing as owning it (the way it was in every past game).

10. nzcamel

I don't mind if different civs react differently to a ceded city, as in some take longer to get over it than others. I like the flavour that adds to the game. But I think most of them still should move on quicker once they've ceded than if they never did.

People on these forums will talk about a country being bitter hundreds of years on about a lost city; but in plenty of situations that isn't really the case as it's a mixed population in the city anyway (something that IV reflected well) and it's never completely "belonged" to one country or the other per say.

11. sycotic

sycotic Chieftain

Like said before, theres a bug? when you make a peace deal before you decide to keep or raze the city. If you go for peace before that then the city will stay occupied forever.

12. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

I think I found one difference between a ceded city and a city that still occupied: You can't sell a occupied city. I tried to buy Kyoto from Gilgamesh, I couldn't add it to the offers list, so unless there's a mechanic that prevent trading conquered capitals, my guess is that Hojo didn't cede Kyoto to Gilgamesh.

13. Darth Tribble

Darth Tribble Friendly Neighborhood Conqueror

Are there any instances where leaving a city occupied after a war is better than being ceded to you?

14. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

You can never trade a conquered capital.

15. Darth Tribble

Darth Tribble Friendly Neighborhood Conqueror

I tried that. I took Rio de Janeiro from Brazil along with acoustic of other cities and I was going to trade them away to another civ before I found out that I could not trade capitals.

16. Gbest

Gbest Chieftain

Has this ever been fixed? Is there any reason now to negociate with the AI to cede cities in the peace deals?

17. Bro

Bro Warlord

What if the AI gave you the city, like in a trade deal. Will he get pissed off for you owning it now?

18. nzcamel

I still have AI's grumble at me for "occupying" a city they seem to forget they ceded me. I don't know if that's just an incorrect notification issue or whether I'm also suffering a negative modifier I shouldn't be.

19. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

Glad I read this! I keep getting offered to cede cities I have taken from Arabia and kept thinking well I've got these why do I need for you to cede them?!

The AI is pretty good in the game I'm playing. Twice Brazil and Arabia have taken me by surprise and one particular attack by Arabia took one of my cities and threatened my little empire! Just managed to counter attack in time though. Best battle Ive had on a Civ game in ages - probably better than anything I had on Civ V for sure.

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

This may be intended, but I can't say for sure. But I think there should be a 100 turn limit on them grumbling about occupied cities. Yeah they have reason to be mad at you for a while, and they should denounce you for taking their city. 100 turns on epic speed would be good, maybe 75 on normal.