What does your Surname literally mean?

What does your Surname literally mean?

According to ancestry.com, there are 2 possibilities.

1. (German) A person who lived "on the Ach" (river). The -er suffix in the name denotes an inhabitant.

2. (Swiss German) Topographic name denoting someone who lived "by the field".

I think the latter is most probable because my ancestry is mostly Swiss.

it refers to my inevitably perfect Brahmin pedigree.

When I was visited the US for the first time the major of New York City had the same surname as mine. Translated from german to english it means cook.

Those last two words are the biggest letdown ever.

Still, it's pretty cool nearly being a direct male line descendant of Cornish royalty. I could be King Arthur's heir!

If I had taken my stepfather's surname when my mother got remarried my full name would mean "Mountain Mountain".

Vrolijke Bijenhouder? :lol: :crazyeye:
Nein :p

But I'm not going to tell you what it is. Surname also not "imker" by the way. ;)

And first name's "meaning" was from some spiritual floaty misty book. The actual literally meaning would give it away too easily. It has to do with worshipping wine.

Meadow lands surrounded by water.

salty mud said:
Son of David. Apparantly my name isn't Welsh, contrary to what I've been told by my family.

Not all names in Wales are Welsh. There do be Scottish names in some areas, Anglo-Welsh names as well, Irish names in places and further general weirdness. So its possible that your name came from Wales but paradoxically isn't Welsh. I know for instance that Scottish names can acquire some odd spellings when they are Welshified(?) or Welshed(?). Manx names are nice on the ear as well ;)

Smith. It is related to smite, or to strike. A person who hammers metal into shape. It's only :sad: if you are lazy, you don't like real work, or if you don't share values of craftpersons who make actual, real things.

edit -
And first name's "meaning" was from some spiritual floaty misty book. The actual literally meaning would give it away too easily. It has to do with worshipping wine.

Worshiping wine <--- Bacchus ? ;)

Top Bottom