What dose Hell Terain actually do?

Tortanick

Chieftain
I've yet to get to Hell terain in any of my games, and I can't find it written anywhere so I thought I'd just ask, what is the actual advantage/disadvantage of having Hell terain around?

I've yet to get to Hell terain in any of my games, and I can't find it written anywhere so I thought I'd just ask, what is the actual advantage/disadvantage of having Hell terain around?

Its awful, Tortanick. It kicks your pets. It hides your car keys when you're late for work. It makes rude noises, which of course your wife blame YOU for.

Nasty stuff, that hell terrain. :mischief:

When hell terrain spreads to a tile t destroys all the improvements there. It destroys some resources and converts others to a hell version. It offers a defensive bonus to demons and undead. I think it typically offers less food. I believe the burning sands is always on fire, is impassible to units without fire resistance, and does some fire damage to units on it per turn.

It is quite cool. Never had any spread in my turf when I wasn't playing the infernals though. It slowly spreads like cancer when you are the Infernals... I believe you loose some of your pastures, which become toad resources, and you loose out on corn and wheat, which are now defunct. The burning sands (firey tiles) used to be deserts.

All Infernal territory quickly becomes Hell terrain. Over a certain AC threshold (20?) it spreads in other evil civs' territory, then over another threshold in neutral territory (50?), then finally in even good territory (75?). I believe Basium's territory will never be hell terrain. It all disappears when the Internals are destroyed. You do lose some resources, but you gain some. Shuet stones give all your units +1 unholy damage (or is it +1 death?), but make them weaker to holy damage.

I've often had it spread to my territory playing as AV Calabim, but very rarely as a good or neutral civ.

It used to be like MC said I think. I remember reading it somwehere, but yea, it's now as MrUnderhill said.

Dosn't it do anything special if you're worshipping the Veil?

and I'm not too keen on that spreading mechanic, the idea of the world slowly turning into Hell is too cool to just be a side effect of the Amageddon counter. I think it would be more fun if player could directly affect the spread of hell by building defences against it, and launching raids to take out it's sources.

and I'm not too keen on that spreading mechanic, the idea of the world slowly turning into Hell is too cool to just be a side effect of the Amageddon counter. I think it would be more fun if player could directly affect the spread of hell by building defences against it, and launching raids to take out it's sources.

Sanctify spell.

I think (not that anyone cares) that the counter should grow as hell spreads, and decrease as hell disseapears.

Actually Thomas, thats not a bad idea. And fully in reverse as well, which I don't think there is a mechanic for yet... so that when the AC counter is dropped Hell Terrain recedes. That might be a tough one to do, but it would make the feel of the war against Hell more dynamic.

Cheers!

Except that It recedes completely when the Infernals are gone. I think it should recede slowly based on AC instead. Banishing the demons alone should not heal the broken lands, it should just help the process.

Hell terrain? What the hell is that? :confused:

Turn 400ish again. This game, Perpentach founded the veil around 250. He had also founded Overlords earlier, so what I did was to worldbuilder and remove overlords from every single city he had and put in the veil. A few turns later he converted and I thought- finally I'll get to fight Hyborem!!

I just crossed over turn 400 and still no Hyborem. Now the map is nearly 100% settled- he'll just get slaughtered as soon as he comes out I'm sure.

What can be done about this? I'm really getting frustrated. Is there any way to see what the AI is researching? To change it?

This stinks- I am doing really good in this game. Huge, epic, inland sea, 16 civs, raging barbs. I got my area settled and well developed. Orthus popped near the Luchirp- I sent my Gilden Silveric that direction as soon as Orthus came out. He demolished the Luchirp 3 turns before I got there- all his the former cities were barbarian, I captured 4 and Perpentach one. So I have almost twice the area and cities as any of the AI, I figured I was doing well when the Veil was founded and was hoping to take on Hyborem. :gripe:

I do still have the game saved back around turn 250- is there any way to force perpentach to summon Hyborem? I'd rather go back 150 turns than start all over.

Oh- I am playing patch "c" with the .py fix somebody posted that was supposed to make the AI rush Hyborem. If I undid that change, and installed patch "d" would that possibly help? Or would it break my save game?

Whenevr that's happened to me, i go into worldbuilder and give the AI infernal pact.

Definantly.

Hell, right now, only grows: it does not recede.

It recedes if the area it is in doesnt fit the qualifactions that Mr Underhill posted. If you convert to good it will leave your lands, if the AC counter goes beneath the AC spread in neutral lands amount and you are neutral it will recede. If a good players borders spread into hell terrain it will reced, etc etc.

Thanks for clarifying that Kael...
Once it gets up that high, its damned hard to get it back down, so I may just have never gotten back under that threshold to notice.

I don't know if it changed in Patch D or not though, but one of my other games(patch B or C), I was a good civ, settled Land that had once been settled by Hyborium, and I had to sanctify to get the Hell terrain out of my borders... I know I hadn't hit the 4 horseman yet, so the counter was below that point. Does the cultural decay/increase percentage have anything to do with it?

Cheers!

Top Bottom