What Effects Will Europe's Closeness to China Have on the World?

DAv2003

Prince
With Tony Blair's recent visits to China and the end to the bra wars, Europe (and in particular, Britain) is growing ever closer to the awakening Dragon, China. But what effects will this have on the world? A decrease in the influence of America on Europe? China becoming the superpower of the 21st century? What are your thoughts on this?

I imagine Europe, America and China may become a big three on the world scene

China will conquer Europe, one bra at a time. I figure the Chinese must be on a major buying spree in Eastern Europe. I heard on the BBC that theyve got a big foothold in Italy, in the shoe market. If the Chinese goods are made in the EU, they face less restrictions, is that right?

Strategically speaking, a Brussels-Beijing Axis makes very good sense for both parties. They both share the same strategic goal: limiting the global power of the United States.

They can help each other to achieve that goal, and from there I think its all but certain that such a cooperation will emerge. What does this mean for the world? It means that there will be a serious challenge to American global power and to American freedom of action worldwide. The natural response, I think, will be an attempt on the part of the United States to build a counter-coalition, consinsting of some or all of the following nations: Russia, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, India, and, less likely, Great Britain, if they should break with the EU. These are all nations that are threatened by the rise of either a strong China or a strong EU and therefore would have a natural interest in joining an anti-axis coalition.

DAv2003 said:
With Tony Blair's recent visits to China and the end to the bra wars, Europe (and in particular, Britain) is growing ever closer to the awakening Dragon, China. But what effects will this have on the world? A decrease in the influence of America on Europe? China becoming the superpower of the 21st century? What are your thoughts on this?

America has set out by its own words and actions to reduce its own influence over Europe, regardless of China's existence. Whether this was intentional/conscious, who can say? If we get to the point where a moral choice between them seems like a toss-up, let's go for the new.

China may well become the Superpower of the 21st century, but I don't think closeness to Europe will make much difference to this, one way or the other.

Tony Blair is on the way out, so don't pay too much attention to his posturing in decline.

DAv2003 said:
Anglo-Chinese negotiations come naturally because of their long-line of historic agreements and existing trade.

Not so long ago, Hong Kong was the primary contribution to that closeness. HSBC (Hong Kong - Shanghai Banking Corporation, based in London) is one business example, but also, most traditional British industrial businesses relocated manufacturing to China years ago. Chinese firms now employ British workers too: MG Rover. Prominent British universities have campuses in China. Every major British city has a large Chinese community. Chinese tourists are important to the UK economy.

Blair is an accomplished negotiator on the international scene: USA, EU, China, Africa, India, &c. His recent visit to China does not stand out as a special event in his long career.

PM Blair is now returning from his most recent political visit to India (see how quickly the China visit became history?)

I wouldn't call it closeness, more a 'using each other for mutual advantage for the time being waiting to stab each other in the back' kind of relationship.

blackheart said:
So is it Eurasia or Eastasia vs. Oceania now?
It has always been that way! ;)

SN said:
The natural response, I think, will be an attempt on the part of the United States to build a counter-coalition, consinsting of some or all of the following nations: Russia, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, India, and, less likely, Great Britain, if they should break with the EU.
You are right, in that it is pretty unlikely anyone will build a coalition with Great Britain, given that it has not existed as a political entity since 1801.

Anglo-Australian link is extremely strong, as is the Anglo-India link. I cannot imagine these being broken by an old usurper ;)

Earlier in the year, Blair outlined a new future of the European Union as a glorified free trade area, so there is no logical reason for the US to fall out with the EU (only contributing members).

I think it would be really dumb not to be close to China right now, as they are sure a major power, really, is there a reason to NOT be close to them?
If morallity counts, both sides are screwed, so forget morality and let´s make business, buying a chinese shoe is no more support to dicatorship then buying Civ 4 is to support the Iraq war.

Davo said:
I wouldn't call it closeness, more a 'using each other for mutual advantage for the time being waiting to stab each other in the back' kind of relationship.
The Anglo-Chinese economies are becoming so entwined that separating them would be extremely painful to both parties. Chinese students can now attend British universities, in China :dubious:

stormbind said:
The Anglo-Chinese economies are becoming so entwined that separating them would be extremely painful to both parties. Chinese students can now attend British universities, in China :dubious:
It's part of the invasion plan, sssshhhhhhhh!

Why would europe being economically close with china be a problem? I think most of those paranoid about china are simply scared of communism, left from cold war propaganda. As long as china does not plan on invading the rest of the civilised world, we have no problem.

Bozo Erectus said:
China will conquer Europe, one bra at a time. I figure the Chinese must be on a major buying spree in Eastern Europe. I heard on the BBC that theyve got a big foothold in Italy, in the shoe market. If the Chinese goods are made in the EU, they face less restrictions, is that right?

:lol: Sounds like the plot to a Russ Meyers film...

SeleucusNicator said:
Strategically speaking, a Brussels-Beijing Axis makes very good sense for both parties. They both share the same strategic goal: limiting the global power of the United States.

They can help each other to achieve that goal, and from there I think its all but certain that such a cooperation will emerge. What does this mean for the world? It means that there will be a serious challenge to American global power and to American freedom of action worldwide. The natural response, I think, will be an attempt on the part of the United States to build a counter-coalition, consinsting of some or all of the following nations: Russia, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, India, and, less likely, Great Britain, if they should break with the EU. These are all nations that are threatened by the rise of either a strong China or a strong EU and therefore would have a natural interest in joining an anti-axis coalition.

Since when did Europe become the 'Axis'?

Some people have played a bit too much 'Command and Conquer', methinks!

:)

CurtSibling said:
Since when did Europe become the 'Axis'?

Some people have played a bit too much 'Command and Conquer', methinks!

:)

I actually have a strong antipathy to Command and Conquer. Back in high school, there was this annoying, high-pitched voiced, nerdy kid who would always talk to me about his C&C games. He would go on and on and on and the game just sounded more and more ridiculous each time he talked about it. So I resent being associated with it.

Personally, I think that "Brussels-Beijing Axis" is the best sounding name for a Sino-European coalition. Perhaps its the alliteration of the b with the b, but I think its heads over anything else you could call such an alliance.

farting bob said:
Why would europe being economically close with china be a problem? I think most of those paranoid about china are simply scared of communism, left from cold war propaganda. As long as china does not plan on invading the rest of the civilised world, we have no problem.

China is no longer Communist, and that makes it absolutely terrifying.

When your opponent is a Communist, you can at least bank on his backwards economic system slowing him down and making him far less formidable. The combination of massive population, massive foreign investment, and rapid liberalization makes China an extremely potent force. I'd give just about anything to have China revert to classical Maoism.

Economic power is problematic because it can be converted into military power. And China is building up its naval and nuclear forces at an alarming rate.

SeleucusNicator said:
Personally, I think that "Brussels-Beijing Axis" is the best sounding name for a Sino-European coalition. Perhaps its the alliteration of the b with the b, but I think its heads over anything else you could call such an alliance.

Brussels-Beijing Bloc

stormbind said:
Earlier in the year, Blair outlined a new future of the European Union as a glorified free trade area, so there is no logical reason for the US to fall out with the EU (only contributing members).

The EU will eventually become a unified state. I think that perfidious Albion (is that better?) is the state least likely to go along with that.

Top Bottom