1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What era is your favorite for war

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by civmaster17, Aug 16, 2014.

1. civmaster17

civmaster17 Chieftain

Ancient, classical, medieval, renaissance, industrial , modern, atomic, information and beyond

I enjoy the medieval with comp bows or x bows, swords, knights , trebs. Also gotta love galeass

I also like classical with spears comps cats. I enjoy earlier warfare more than later like modern

2. DarkestOnion

DarkestOnion Prince

Renaissance through Industrial and into Modern. Anything earlier is a slog and anything later is too fast.

3. Silverman6083

Silverman6083 History-Lover

Don't know why there is no poll...but I like Atomic-Information warfare.

4. mclericp

mclericp Warlord

ship of the line renaissance~
    or maybe industrial when i got the artillery

5. civmaster17

civmaster17 Chieftain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. InspCallahan

InspCallahan Chieftain

Classical and anything beyond Industrial. Classical warfare is all about archers while modern war is about artillery and airstrikes. Medieval/Renaissance is like this awkward transition where archers get replaced by cannons.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Industrial after I have Privateers, (yes that is a late rean tech, but I always enter the Industrial era before researching Navigation)

8. Lord Alexander

Lord Alexander Warlord

Industrial.

9. Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy Chieftain

In general it's when my UU is available.

But overall, most fun in The early game.

Sadly enough, my games seems to end, if I play them all The way, in late warfare.
    Although The artillery/infantry loop is effective and sucessfull, it's very booring.

10. dasaard200

dasaard200 Prince

An additive mix of eras; a' take the best of the era and build the rest' idea, depending when I get attacked first . I truly love archers (any), preferring 'walking' range units to 'crew-served' units until artillery (3 tile range) and rocket arty (!!!); while crossbows ( I think) NEVER go obsolete, because the move-and-shoot types keep up with the melee boys; vs. 'set-up-and-shoot' for sieges . This gives me 1st turn: some damage on target, 2nd turn: LOTS of damage on target !!,with either of the artilleries. IMHO, catapults, trebuchets, and cannon are too slow for me .

11. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Information because all units are available and all resources are available. If all resources aren't available then you could at least see them or know that they're around to use.

12. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

I wouldn't call it my "favorite", but for some reason I get into a lot of early-Modern wars, with Great War Infantry, Machine Guns, and Artillery. I don't do it deliberately, there must be something about my gameplay patterns that I don't recognize.

13. asura_

asura_ Chieftain

Everything after industrial is when I can plan for global domination even if my initial game plan was different. Can't resist war - it's human nature

14. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I like medieval wars. Longswordsmen + Trebuchets are capable without completely pawning AI cities, so that seems most fun for me.

15. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I also like renaissance because I could use cannons and musketmen the same way..

16. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

I love the intrigue of late game war. Atomic era and beyond. I often try to get nuclear misses banned however.

The beauty of it is the intrigue involved. Competing over the love of a city state can devolve into world war.

I also love having air in the mix, it's like going from rock vs. Paper. To rock paper scissors.
    I remember declaring war against Rome in support of my Hawaiin allies. I didn't want to take rome's cities for the war monger penalty and Hawaii didn't have an air force. So I sent in AA guns to give me sight of the cities and protect Hawaii forces against bombers and I bombed Rome's cities into the stone age. I let Hawaii take all the cities. Removing my last geopolitical threat. You can't coordinate an invasion like that with crossbows. Plus the economy can't sustain massive land and sea wars until the late eras. So every other era is really skirmishes and sieges

17. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

Medieval-ish. Anytime I've got Range Logistics archery units that can bring down cities. After that, only really enjoy naval warfare; anything else is too much of a slog.

18. Trackmaster

Trackmaster Warlord

I'm not a big fan of warfare in the Ancient times. I don't exactly mean mechanically, but being a warmonger early on can stunt your relationships for a long time, and getting invaded early can put you behind the 8 ball and make it impossible to develop a flourishing Civilization. By the late portions of the game, all bets are off, everybody hates you (or its one side against the other) and your development is set in stone.

19. ekat2468

ekat2468 Warlord

Probably Industrial and beyond. Artillery just adds a whole new era to warfare and later in the game you get some really fun units to play with like Tanks and Helicopters and such. I would love to see how GDR's work. I have never used a Giant Death Robot before, and they look really intersting and making late game combat really interesting.

20. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Ancient.